Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I was blessed with a new job yesterday, and am going to need to pick out a car to work out of. I will be covering most of 4 states( West Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana), and will receive a decent car allowance each month. I have a Scion xB and I plan to trade it or sell it outright. Its in great shape, but not a "road trip" car by any means.
I need to keep it in the range of less than 25K, as I want a less than $400 note each month. I want the allowance to cover the note, insurance, and most of the gas.
What says the peanut gallery?
Camry, Avalon, Accord, Maxima, Altima?
I would love to have a 4 door Tacoma, but its not in the cards as the gas mileage just isn't there...I want 25 mpg plus and need 4 doors, as I may be hauling passengers when entertaining.
Used is not a problem, but no earlier than 2008...I found a 2008 Accord with leather and the 4 cyl, look like a good deal...I had a Camry before and it lasted 10 years and ran 200K miles, so I like the Toyotas...Those with experience, let me hear the opinions.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Give me a shout if you are down this way and have time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the customer might see your car I would drive an American one.

I suggest a used Grand Marquis or Crown Vic.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For new---I like the Honda and Audi.

Like you I'm in sales and have an 89 Benz 560SEL with 88k miles that runs like a sled and is big and fast. The back seat even folds down flat. It'll run for another 300k miles with minor maintenance. I drive it to and from SC and DC every month. Not great gas mileage but great ride. Paid 5k for it and invested another 3k.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by byc; 12/12/09.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Accord EX with leather, a/t, and 4 banger for gas mileage. You might try the Memphis Craigslist. I'd look for something in the 50K miles range for aroiund $10K. Change the fluids to full synthetics, fill it with gas, and drive.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I second the Mercury Marquis or Crown Vic. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Drove the Crown Vics for 10 years on the PD, don't want to own one--- I plant to go the Toyota, Honda, Nissan route with the Honda Accord EX with the leather and alloy wheels leading tha pack. Funny you should mention that vehicle 260, that was my personal pick before I posted this thread.

Will do Steelie...I should be in the swing of things by the end of the first quarter...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My road car is a 2008 Avalon Touring with all of the options except nav. The car is big,roomy, and very quick with a firm ride and decent handling. Highway mileage is 30+mpg. If you go this route, I'd stay with the touring. The Limited has that old floaty roadmaster ride. Toyota nav units are terrible-avoid.

J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I found that most of the factory nav units are $1K plus, and you can buy a helluv GPS for $1K...
I like the Avalon, and the Touring is definitely the way to go if the Avalon is on the list...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about a lease return F-150? I'm sure it may be different down there, but it's "the" wagon to be pimpin' your wares out of up here. I'm hoping your employer pays for gas? Congrats on the new job!

r.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sounds to me like Toyota Camry may be worth a look. We tried several, the more we drove them the more I liked them. My wife just didn't like it as much as the Lincoln or Jetta.

About 22K, good mileage, good reliability, good car.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dittos on the Camry. Rented one for a couple days when I was in MO at my daughters grad from Basic Training (shameless proud Dad moment) and that car was pretty cool. 30+ mpg at 75-80mph. Lotsa poop for a 4banger. Great sound system, as expected.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a car, the new Taurus gets pretty good reviews, and you're supporting an American company that isn't owned by Obama.

+1 about Customers paying attention to the car you drive. If they are tied to a car company, you'd best show up in one of those cars. One company I worked for, who sold direct to the Big Three, always made sure their salesmen drove a car from their prime customer.

If again I had a road warrior job, I'd look at the small SUV's, too. Ford does have a Hybrid Escape, which has good economy, albeit at a higher price. They aren't a rock crawler, but you would still find them useful for outdoors stuff.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
For new---I like the Honda and Audi.

Like you I'm in sales and have an 89 Benz 560SEL with 88k miles that runs like a sled and is big and fast. The back seat even folds down flat. It'll run for another 300k miles with minor maintenance. I drive it to and from SC and DC every month. Not great gas mileage but great ride. Paid 5k for it and invested another 3k.

[Linked Image]

now THAT, boys and girls, is a CAR...

nice, nice ride... i'd own one, even in black...

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every salesman that calls on our office us in Louisiana drives an American made 4 door truck....even the office products salesman.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello:

I live in Michigan, the bastion of Detroit iron. So take that under advisement regarding all recommendations I make.

It depends on what you sell.

It is hard to beat a minivan if you have to take clients out. Not all of them can dig themselves out of a bucket seat.

Full sized Buicks are the local standard for insurance sales people and people selling financial instruments. It projects the image of under-stated success. NOBODY will buy insurance from the guy driving a Porsche 911.

I work in the factory that makes Cadillac CTS and STS. $24K will get you a 2007 CTS in my neck of the woods (http://lansing.craigslist.org/ctd/1500822632.html). The CTS is a very snappy ride. I would be tickled if you gave one a test spin but understand that time is money and don't want to impose.

-Joe

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I recently rented a Chevy Malibu and drove it for 950 miles on interstate and rural roads. Excellent ride, excellent handling (for a 4 door) and impressive gas mileage. Very impressed; quality is back!

I suggest you look at the Malibu.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jamison
I was blessed with a new job yesterday, and am going to need to pick out a car to work out of. I will be covering most of 4 states( West Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana), and will receive a decent car allowance each month. I have a Scion xB and I plan to trade it or sell it outright. Its in great shape, but not a "road trip" car by any means.
I need to keep it in the range of less than 25K, as I want a less than $400 note each month. I want the allowance to cover the note, insurance, and most of the gas.
What says the peanut gallery?
Camry, Avalon, Accord, Maxima, Altima?
I would love to have a 4 door Tacoma, but its not in the cards as the gas mileage just isn't there...I want 25 mpg plus and need 4 doors, as I may be hauling passengers when entertaining.
Used is not a problem, but no earlier than 2008...I found a 2008 Accord with leather and the 4 cyl, look like a good deal...I had a Camry before and it lasted 10 years and ran 200K miles, so I like the Toyotas...Those with experience, let me hear the opinions.
Consider a VW Jetta TDI.. Very close to your price max and you'll get over 50 mpg (closer to 55)... They're very good handling cars and run very well.. The engines are supposed to give you over 250K before you need to turn a wrench on 'em.. Only downfall, IMHO, is the cost of replacing the timing belt.. You can figure about a thou, including parts to git-r-done..

The fuel savings alone will help tons.. It sounds like you'll be putting on over 40K miles/year.. If so, you could be paying nearly $800 less/year in fuel alone.. Plus, these are built to go 10K between oil changes.. When you're driving lots of miles in other states, that helps also..

My wife's '06 Jetta TDI just passed 100K last week and it's till running like a fine Rolex..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did the road thing for years but not in sales. I put 190,000 miles on a Honda Civic and gave it to a friend having a rough time. It's up to 270,000 miles without a major problem (still has the factory clutch!). I went to an Accord 4 cyl/5 speed and put 135,000 on it before I came off of the road. The Accord will get 34-37 mpg on the Hwy depending on driving style/conditions. The Accord is now my wife's daily driver and I'll bet it last another 10 years. I think you're looking at the right kind of cars to pour the miles on. I also wouldn't worry about not driving an "American" car, most people could care less these days.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd say +1 on a Honda...good freind had a ranch out here and used an accord to run kids 17 miles each way to the school bus stop...and save gas.
Put 248K on it...all on dirt roads in MT.by the time the kids graduated....replaced the battery once...

We told him he oughta call Honda and do a commercial for them... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.