Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3578938 12/16/09
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have or ever here of one? All I have seen so far is that they are great. Surely there must be one bad one.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no bad ones here,i have a 270win stainless/synthetic and love it.
one of my hunting buddies has a stainless/grey laminted in 308,he says his is the best rifle he ever owned.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With Tikka's quality control, you're going to have to search far and wide to find a bad one. Good luck with that!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And you can go back through the years and different models, and still find no bad ones.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, my retailer had a bad one - can't remember the cartridge. They sent it back and Beretta sent a replacement. That was it, after hundreds of Tikkas over the years. American manufacturers should take notice, including my favorite, Kimber.
I just can't warm up to some of its features.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Both of mine are bug hole capable.

T3's that is

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 695 that will shoot 1/2" with about anything you care to suff in it. Caliber is 280 by the way.

`Bring Enough Gun`
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Contrary to popular belief the U.S. does not own the rights to quality craftsmanship. T3's bolt cycle and trigger is like a swiss watch compared to most other rifles. I have custom 700's that aren't as smooth, don't have as crisp of trigger, and don't shoot as well as a $500 Tikka. Almost laughable.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i had a bad one. it was a LA for a SA cart and the stock was a flimsey piece of trash. the bolt was too loose in the reciver for my taste and the barrel was 2" too long.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a bad one... (in comparison to the others).... it was a 243 and I could only get it to shoot about 7/8 inch groups.... all the others I own easily shot 1/2 inch groups....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thought this may be a good place to look for advice. I recently bought a tikka t3 ss 7mm08. factory rings and a bushnell elite 3x9. The action and finish is great. I do plan to go with a deadnutz mount when I have time. First trip to range 140 gr rem corelok shot a box cleaning between shots best group about 8" figured It was breaking in 2nd box no better time to change ammo By the way I do not reload Fed 140 paritions no better, 140 fed BT no better so I have about80 rounds down the barrel I'm at a loss as what to try when I hear everybody else shooting 1' groups. Now I'm no marksman but even my 06 I can shoot 2"oups and would be happy with that for deer. So Do I need to shoot more to bring the barrel around ? suggestions on ammo or take to my dealer Thanx Guys DWG

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ringworm
i had a bad one. it was a LA for a SA cart and the stock was a flimsey piece of trash. the bolt was too loose in the reciver for my taste and the barrel was 2" too long.

Amazing that even with the long action you had a 6lb 3oz rifle isn't it? The stock isn't a McMillan tactical stock but they are not too flimsy for hunting applications. In fact thousands of these things are successfully taking game every year without drooping between shooters fingers like a wet noodle.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Horseman

Amazing that even with the long action you had a 6lb 3oz rifle isn't it? The stock isn't a McMillan tactical stock but they are not too flimsy for hunting applications. In fact thousands of these things are successfully taking game every year without drooping between shooters fingers like a wet noodle.

Get out of here! You can't be serious..... anything plastic is sure to fail, not feel right, explode in your hands, or melt and whither away in your clutches.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
DWG7,

My first thought is you have a scope or mounting issue. Next might be an action that is not tight in the stock. Dunno!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by the_shootist
DWG7,

My first thought is you have a scope or mounting issue. Next might be an action that is not tight in the stock. Dunno!
Same thoughts here.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Anyone have or ever here of one? All I have seen so far is that they are great. Surely there must be one bad one.
I heard someone complain about the accuracy of a 338 Federal on here. Could be a 6# 338 is not for everyone, but it could have been the gun too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by the_shootist
DWG7,

Same thoughts here.

I'd pull it from the stock and make sure the floating recoil lug is properly seating in the bottom of the receiver....

Regards,

Tom
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Can you explain this job for me Kinda new here thanx DWG

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
T3's use a plate mortised into the stock as the recoil lug. The receiver has a groove machined into it that mates to the top of the plate. When putting the barreled action into the stock it's easy to not get things seated properly.

Last edited by Horseman; 12/17/09.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 2 T3s and I'm not overly impressed with either.

One is a blued/syn version chambered in 338 Federal wearing a Vari-X II in Leupie DDs. It's the only rifle I've shot that dramatically improved accuracy wise after approx 50 rounds down the pipe. The first few groups fired after break in were over 2"(factory 200grn fusions for the brass and break-in). Chalked that one up to it just not liking that ammo. After a bit of load development, I was able to get it to consistently barely shoot under MOA with 200 HDYs and 200 NBTs over various powders at 2450-2550fps MV. The reason for me stating it shot better with wear is that I shot some groups with the same lot of Fusions that went under MOA months later. Can't really argue about it now as it is quite consistent, but not on the same playing field accuracy wise as the majority of my bolt rifles. It is a joy to carry and quite handy for short range big game. A 200 NBT at 2600 is no slouch. I had to move to a LA Bolt stop and mag to gain enough capacity to get anywhere near 2600 with the longer NBTs. That's another gripe, the short mag length not allowing anything near the lands. The LA stop and mag solved that problem.

The 2nd is a Stainless/syn in 300WM with a Leupie VXIII 4.5-14x40 in Talley LW lows. Never fired factory ammo in it as I hardly ever fire a factory round, but it does just under MOA with a few pet handloads. I settled on a compressed load of 7828 under 180 NPTs that shoots around 2-2.5" at 200(avg MV of 2950) which was suitable for my needs at the time, but again, nothing comparable to most of my hunting rigs. The problems I have with it are the factory drilled and tapped mount holes are off center requiring some hefty lapping with Talley LWs, so-so accuracy, and again mag length too short to reach the lands. I'm not giving up on it despite trying several pills and powders. Next on the list is 168TTSXs.

IME a quality rifle whether factory or custom should consistently shoot .5-.8 MOA with a variety of loads.

No more Tikkas for me, if I want another cheap knock around rig, it will be a A7, 700, xbolt, or 70.

I don't doubt most Tikkas are superbly accurate rigs out of the box, but the two I purchased from different sources were not so and left a sour taste....

Have a Good One,

Loder

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.