-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned a couple of 700's & the 1960's (1962-1968)BDL's were the best made I.M.H.O. From very smooth actions, to the nice wood with RKW finish & the attractive impressed Fluer-D-lis checkering pattern. In 1969, they changed the impressed checkering to a horrid ribbon pattern until the mid 1970's, when the went to a much nicer skipline cut pattern. The RKW finish however did tend to yellow the white-line spacers over time.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by valad
I like the Lefty BDLs better than the CDL. For one thing...a price of $700 for a CDL turns me off cuz the BDL will do the same thang as a CDL and cheaper. grin

Reason for liking the BDL is the wider forend, just fits my hand better. The CDLs have a narrower forend which does not seem to fit me all that well but if it was given to me I betcha I could make it work cool

I also like the 22" barrel on the standard calibers. I do not think you gain that much fps on a longer barrel and for the area I hunt hardly anything can be seen outside 200/300 yards.

I do not like the sights on a rifle on the BDL cuz I always mount scopes on my rifle. But fillers will plug up the holes.

The gloss blue on BDL's remind me of older rifles/shotguns and they work for me. I have one LH CDL .243 and the satin black metalwork is ok with me too.

All in all I like the BDL better but know many people like the CDL for its anthestics. What ever rocks your boat and makes you happy is the one you should want as your oar smile
Everything he said. Except the part about the short barrels. The BDL took awhile to grow on me. When I was looking for a short action LH Model 700 to re-barrel to .250-3000, I just couldn't quite hack the price tag of a CDL when I could get a BDL for almost $300 less. I was able to scrounge up a CDL stock at a reasonable enough price with the intention of installing it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The BDL stock fits me well and just looks "right." Especially with a 24-inch barrel. cool

[Linked Image]

Anyone want to buy a LH short action CDL stock? whistle

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A few years back I didn't like the BDL's, but now I think they're kinda retro. The rifles they call Classics really aren't because the originals had a heckuva lot of drop to the stock to accomadate iron sights. They also didn't have recoil pads in the standard calibers. The straight comb they put on these rifles is actually something pretty new I think. Custom makers were probably doing it but not the manufacturers.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like this thread. cool
I'm going to change out my stocks again!
Thank you.

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont like white line spacers, well at least not on a 700 for sure. I would get a classic.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BDL's are my favorite. I could live without the spacer as well. I like the looks and finish of 1970-1980's models. Most of the BDL's just fit and feel good. Some of the other rifle maker stocks, Well...They fit like a sock on a rooster.

Roger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall getting a new Rem 1100 for Christmas in 1964 0r 65. I remember the finish as being the Dupont Bowling Ball finish.
It's gone through a boxcar load of 3-1-8's over the years and that stock looks better than I do...harder too wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would think it would be easy to remove the butt stock spacer, I'm not so sure about the forend tip, although it could probably be done. I forgot about the grip cap, they're everywhere!

Last edited by orion03; 12/16/09.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
I have a 700 BDL in 223 Rem. I like the rifle a lot. I'm not overly crazy about the ultra high gloss finish it has. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket stock or trying to refinish my stock to a satin finish.

An hour, 13 cents worth of rottenstone, a little mineral oil and a felt rag will give you a nice eggshell luster...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
I picked up what I think is a BDL in .243 to use as a donor.
Purdy little thing, perfect stock, and a smooooth action.
Have not shot it yet, but it seems a shame to take it apart.
Will post a pic when I get the chance.

Took a few pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's got a nice steel triggerguard and floorplate. Comes up very nice, and the open sights are decent! Half the price of a new, similar one - checked last night at Gander.
I have NOT shot the donor!

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a nice rifle there Cheesehunter!

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like an early Model 700.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I picked up what I think is a BDL in .243 to use as a donor.
Purdy little thing, perfect stock, and a smooooth action.
Have not shot it yet, but it seems a shame to take it apart.
Will post a pic when I get the chance.

Took a few pics.

It's got a nice steel triggerguard and floorplate. Comes up very nice, and the open sights are decent! Half the price of a new, similar one - checked last night at Gander.
I have NOT shot the donor!

That's a BDL alright ,..and a nice one

has the short bolt plug, square safety knob and aluminium butt plate but no clip slot in the rear bridge..puts it about '67 to '71 is my guess, you can determine the month and year of manufacture by the date code on the barrel.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

..and the trigger guard and floorplate are aluminium...and it looks pretty darn minty...I'd have a hard time tearing that one apart....

Last edited by rembo; 12/16/09.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cheesehunter:
Please don't alter that rifle or use it as a donor. They don't make them like that anymore and that is one fine looking rifle. I'm not really even a Remington fan, but that one really tugs at my heart strings.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sold a 7mmRM. It was a great looking and very accurate rifle. It was just too much rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have two of them in 7 mag and .338

the factory stocks came off shortly after acquiring them

one sports an MPI stock (hey I like popsicles and they been good to me)

the other was lh B&C, now McMillan

in rifles I'm pretty much in the school pretty is as pretty does, but it's a bonus if you make it look cool. Lots of options to do so, but I spend my loot in other pursuits

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheesehunter, take Orion's advice & please don't alter that rifle. Youv'e got a 1960's BDL & their the best 700's made by Remington I.M.O. Is yours the short barreled carbine version? If so, their worth even more value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Cheesehunter, take Orion's advice & please don't alter that rifle. Youv'e got a 1960's BDL & their the best 700's made by Remington I.M.O. Is yours the short barreled carbine version? If so, their worth even more value.

This must be the carbine model. You guys are right, it is too nice to chop up. I'll stick some glass on it and see how it shoots.
Out of curiosity, what do you think it might be worth? The bluing is perfect, the wood is 99% (one small little nick). Looks like a safe-queen.
I checked out the serial number site, but mine has more numbers on it than normal. Will post them tonight.
[Linked Image]

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your BDL sure brings back memories. From the nice wood & Fleur-D-Lis checkering, the golden colored white line spacers from the aging RKW finish, to the dark gray hard anodized trigger guard & floorplate & silky smooth bolt action. I had a 1965 vintage 700 BDL in .270 that I stupidly sold & have regretted it ever since. Make sure you keep that aluminum buttplate on it, since that .243 doesn't need a recoil pad. My observations on the value of 1960's BDL's are as follows.
1. 22" std. barrel in .243, .270 & .30-06 etc. $400-$600.
2. 24" heavy barrel varmint in .223, .243, 6mm $600-$800.
3. 20" barrel carbine in .243,.270, .280 etc. $800-$1,000.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 12/17/09.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.