Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Am I giving up anything by getting the 8x30 SLC over the 8x32 EL? The SLC is lighter than the EL by a couple of ounces but will I miss the extra 2mm of light gathering?

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I don't see $600.00 difference in these two, Maybe someone that really knows fine optics could tell the difference but for My money I'd go with the excellent SLC's.....and with the $600.00 you can buy alot of other cool stuff!................547.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
From what I understand, since the introduction of the SLC NEU's they both use the same glass. One major difference though is the focus wheel on the 8x30 SLC is on the front of the binocular, which is something I cannot like, as much as I've tried...YMMV

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I moved my daughter this weekend and stopped at the "Outfitters Wholesale Sports" -( I think that is what it is called; used to be Sportsman Warehouse) on the way back from Portland. Anyways I spent some time looking thru the 8x30 SLC's and the 8x32 EL's and I could not believe the difference- I did not think that it would be that much. It was in the store and outside at dusk. I was with the salesmen who deals with these all the time.

Before we looked at them I asked him if there was much difference in the optics (between the 30 SLC's and the 32 mm EL's)and he did not think that there was. They have a picture of a Grizzley on a mountain in the back of the store inside that is supposed to simulate a 1000 yard view. When I looked thru the SLC 30's at first and then looked thru the 32mm EL's I could not believe how much brighter the EL's were. I used to have a 7x30 SLC for a quite while, so I was quite aware of the quality of the SLC's. I had the salesman look thru both (I had him look thru the EL's 2nd) and he just said "WOW, I did not think there would be that much difference" when he looked thru the EL's.

We also went outside since it was close to dusk and also brought along a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x42's and a pair of Leica's 8x42's (he did not have a pair of either brands 32 mm size) along with the 8x32 EL's and the 30mm SLC's. They were not busy and we had fun looking through all of them. I know I am a bit of a fan of binoculars and really just wanted to stop and see how the SLC's and the EL's compared. Anyways we both thought that outside it was just the same as inside-the EL's were definately better that the SLC's -brighter and more contrast,etc. The 32 mm EL's were real close to the Zeiss and the Leica 42's which was impressive-the salesman thought the same thing. The only one that was brighter than the 32 mm EL'S was the 8.5 X 42 Swaro. EL-but that was expected; but it was only by a little bit. The 42 mm EL is a LOT bigger and heavier than the 32 mm EL.

This was our (the salesmans and mine) opinion as to how they looked to us. He said more than once how surprised he was in the difference between the Swaro. EL 32 and the SLC 30mm. He just did not think that it would be that obvious; and I must say that it surprised me also.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I sort of concur with llama2. In the larger 42mm size I think the SLCs are as good optically as the ELs. I have looked through the 10x42 SLC a lot and it is very good glass, but for some reason I find the 8x30 SLC to be fine, where the 8x32 EL blows me away. I spent a lot of time comparing 8x32 Ultravids, Trinovid BNs, ELs and my favorite Nikon SEs, even though they were definitely alpha glass, the little SLCs seemed a half step behing the others.

It is hard to make the argument that the ELs are $600-$700 better glass than the SLCs, but I would say the Ultravid BRs are definitely $100.00 better glass with Doug's certified pre-owned deals. Having said that, I have no doubt that a pair of 8x30 SLCs would make you happy for many, many years. I focused (no pun intended) on the optics side where I thought the SLCs were good, but the Ultravids and ELs better, I think the smaller SLCs win in the size and weight department compard to ELs, though the 8x32 EL is very ergonomic, I am also one who likes that focus knob at the end of the hinge, I think people make to big a deal about that, I'm sure most folks would adapt rather quickly.

John

Last edited by Glacier_John; 12/16/09.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We did not compare the 42mm size of the Swarovski's. I was mostly interested in comparing the 32 EL's with the 30mm SLC's.

I really wish we could have looked at Zeiss and leica's 32 mm size, but they did not have any in. When we did compare the 8x32mm EL to the comp's (L & Z) 42mm size it really compared very favorably even in very, very low light. I would always expect the 42mm obj. size to do better in low light, but the 8x32mm EL more than held its own.

When Glacier John said above:- "where the 8x32 EL blows me away"; I concur when comparing it to the 8x30 SLC's. The 8x30 SLC is very nice glass and I was very surprised at how much the 32mm EL "popped" when comparing the two side by side.

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Three years ago, I had the opportunity to use both for a couple of weeks. Me and three buddies already had new 8x30 SLC NEU models. Happened onto a pair of the 8x32 EL's virtually new in the box and bought them for a good price. We're on a deer lease together and each in turn took both pairs and used each side by side over several days. Either of us could have kept the EL's and another buddy would have gotten our SLC's. All of us kept our SLC's as we were accustomed to them and preferred the focus adjustment on them. In the first few moments of daylight, the EL's might have been ever so slightly brighter BUT it was very hard to tell. We were using them from box blinds and could stack each side by side and on top of one another. I really wanted to keep the EL's just because they were EL's but just couldn't do it. Needless to say this other buddy is very proud of his 8x32 EL's. One of these guys has since bought a pair of 10x42 EL's. The magnification is definitely better and you can definitely see more detail at extended ranges but they are not head and shoulders clearer or crisper than the 8x30 SLC's. There just isn't the profound difference there is going from Nikon Monarch ATB's which we all owned prior to Swarovski. The 10x42's are used in the box blinds but when a hunt involves any level of movement, he brings the 8x30 SLC's. If you can't tell I love mine. They are the most used/most enjoyed piece of hunting gear I have ever owned.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by xr650rRider
Three years ago, I had the opportunity to use both for a couple of weeks. Me and three buddies already had new 8x30 SLC NEU models. Happened onto a pair of the 8x32 EL's virtually new in the box and bought them for a good price. We're on a deer lease together and each in turn took both pairs and used each side by side over several days. Either of us could have kept the EL's and another buddy would have gotten our SLC's. All of us kept our SLC's as we were accustomed to them and preferred the focus adjustment on them. In the first few moments of daylight, the EL's might have been ever so slightly brighter BUT it was very hard to tell. We were using them from box blinds and could stack each side by side and on top of one another. I really wanted to keep the EL's just because they were EL's but just couldn't do it. Needless to say this other buddy is very proud of his 8x32 EL's. One of these guys has since bought a pair of 10x42 EL's. The magnification is definitely better and you can definitely see more detail at extended ranges but they are not head and shoulders clearer or crisper than the 8x30 SLC's. There just isn't the profound difference there is going from Nikon Monarch ATB's which we all owned prior to Swarovski. The 10x42's are used in the box blinds but when a hunt involves any level of movement, he brings the 8x30 SLC's. If you can't tell I love mine. They are the most used/most enjoyed piece of hunting gear I have ever owned.

I sure can't argue with that report, that is about as fair and objective a test of bins as I have seen.

John

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
For two of us, the actual decision of which to keep came down, to already having Butler Creek flip-up caps installed on the objective end of our 8x30 SLC's. You would have to modify them to make them work on the EL's. The flip-ups really keep your lenses clean in adverse weather. So the decision came down to < $20 worth of lens caps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.