24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holly Crap Batman! I don't remember reading such dribble since the old 9mm vs 45ACP days. I have Smith 5904, Glock 19s, two of them and one saved my life. and my Colt 70 Gold Cup and Commander, and my USA made Springfield. My Smith is my house gun because of the three safeties, the Glock 19 has been my carry gun for 15 plus years and my 45 is my open carry gun when I want to say "stay the F away from me unless you want a big ass hole in your chest. My Glocks are stock except for better triggers professionally installed. I shoot reloads except for carry and that's for legal reasons. All my guns shoot lead but mostly XTP's and Gold Dots. I don't limp wrist my Glocks and I have never had a single malfunction.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is it just Glocks or have other polymer frame gun come apart with some regularity? I notice the KAHRs have polygonal rifling which I understand the Glocks do to. The reason given for not using lead bullets in the Glocks is the the type of rifling they have and the lead build-up. This has been given as the reason for some "KA-BOOMS" when switching back to jacketed bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PepeLp
I've seen a 1911 blow. It was a 10MM with a standard feed ramp. The case ruptured, blew the magazine out of the bottom, split both grips, and sent pieces of brass into the shooter's face. Anything can have failures.

But the frame didn't come apart in the shooters hands either, did it? I once saw a stainless S&W .40 semi-auto let loose from an over pressure round and it acted exactly as described. The magazine jetted out the bottom, the grips split, brass splashed back onto the shooter, but the frame held together and caused no injury to the shooter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I will only use Glocks in 9 and 10mm. And only with factory ammunition or good commercial reloads.
God gave you a spare hand in case one gets blown up, so might as well. laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
as i recall portland police had a couple "kaboom" issues. glock asked to inspect and replace these pistols and was told no way. they never even got to see what the problem may have been! i wonder what ppd was trying to keep out of the publics eye just to save face? i know glock has a parts replacement interval that allmost no one listens to. i wonder what would happen to my car if i didn't change the timing belt EVER? yep my oil's still slick after 75,000 miles. nope i don't own a glock. i have seen a few other mannufactures guns come apart however. if you make enough of a single product you're bound to have a couple issues with some. it dosn't what the product is. just my opinion

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
orion,
You might do a little research on the .40 S&W in the Glock platform before buying one. Of all the cartridges they are chambered for that is probably the most problematic.

I have a very good friend who worked as a firearms instructor for the State of Georgia. He did almost all of the state's training in Forsyth.
I asked him that very question about the 40 S&W. He only commented that in his 5 years of traing, and 1,000s of rounds fired, he had never seen a problem.
He commented that some of the Glocks were there before he was, and had beed fired who knows how many times. He had seen hundred's of different Glock 40's on the range.
He also commented that during the coarse of a week that several officers may qualify with the same weapon. That weapon may go for 1000 - 1500 rounds before cleaning.
I am also aquainted with a gentlemen who shoots on a weely basis. He personally told me that he has over 23,000 rounds fired from his Glock 23. Never a problem.

I have some reservations about Glocks in anything bigger than a 9mm. I read the kaboom stories on the net as well.

I have 500 rounds through my 21. Just a drop in the bucket. But it has shot everyting I have fed it. And it has shot everthing surprisingly well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GeorgiaBoy,
Others have documented problems from that particular cartridge in the Glock platform. My department had some issues with the G22. I dunno, some love 'em, some hate 'em.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a real fan of a glock. I have other pistols including series 70 colts and a springfield 1911 built by armorer Jack Maples from the AMU.

I trust the glock more.

Glock torture test

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't be a smartazz...must resist...fail.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"There's another one for ya".

JOG - you are a bad boy! grin

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One failure to feed and thats all?
How many 1911's have had the same probs?

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Glock torture test

I always thought the "Glock torture test" was seeing how long you could stand to listen to a Glock-pologist blather on about their gun? smile

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To be precise, one failure to feed and two kaBooms!

Which 1911 are you asking about? There have been dozens upon dozens of manufacturers and tens-of-millions made all over the world in a wide variety of chamberings, in everything from ultra-compacts to hi-cap wide-bodies, military and target models with everything in between. We have bull barrels or bushing, extractors moving around, different types of safeties, stainless steel, carbon steel, polymer, aluminum alloy, scandium, ramped and no-ramp barrels, and dozens of magazine designs.

To say 1911 in a generic terms makes as much sense as lumping a Glock in with a Jennings.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Glock guy's go and on about how Glocks never jam an then when it is pointed out that Glocks acctualy do jam, they immediately jump to attack the 1911.

1911's have been very reliable for me for over 30 years

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
good for you. I carried a 1911 for years and it worked fine. I maintained it well and it worked. The glock on the other hand works well no matter what, maintanence or otherwise. choose what you will, I see glocks everywhere in use overseas, 1911's, hardly ever.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Who's apologising. Not me. I know what works, they both do. I've carried both and I prefer the Glock by a wide margin. Marginally trained troops can make the Glock work, can't say the same for the 1911.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Who's apologising. Not me. I know what works, they both do. I've carried both and I prefer the Glock by a wide margin. Marginally trained troops can make the Glock work, can't say the same for the 1911.

That is the only advantage, buton the other hand the Glock have moe AD than any other pistol. A deputy's Glock in his glove box fired when the officer was involved in a traffic accident. A pencil found it's way in the rigger guard and caused the weapon to fire. That would not have happened with a cocked and locked 1911 because of the thumb safety and the grip safety

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
A pencil found it's way in the rigger guard and caused the weapon to fire.

But, but, but they call it a SAFE ACTION pistol! It has 3 safeties (that are all deactivated when the trigger is pulled [or pencilled?]).

Aren't they on their third firing pin design to try to stop them from blowing up?

And the danged cheap piece of tupperware has the ergomonics of a brick - ya'll can have my share of 'em. :P

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You guys win. Glocks suck and 1911's rule. I guess that's why all the "real professionals" in the the US carry the 1911, and the rest of us carry glocks because we like exploding,self firing junk guns.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gazillions of rounds fired by Glock shooters that have never had any problems. Gazillions of rounds fired by 1911's (or whatever) by other shooters that never had any problems. There are incidents of failure in each and every one of them.

Incredible how it always comes down to one group having to figure out a way to lob disparaging remarks at another.

If I had to concede anything about Glocks it'd be their use of the term "Perfection". Pretty haughty, inaccurate applied to anything created by man, probably rubs some the wrong way enough to lash out a bit. That ninja types are often associated with the make probably doesn't help either. Not to say some of the uber-customized 1911 crowd can't get pretty full of themselves either.

Carry what you want and be as responsible as you can about it.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (35, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.