Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I purchased a great custom laminated AA Claro stock from Serengeti when I made my 358MRC rifle built a few years ago. Since then I've been on their e-mail list for some great gun deals that I just didn't need at the time. Today I get a nice e-mail saying the company has been purchased and reorganized by a new buyer and called Kilimanjaro Rifles.
I love my Serengeti stocked rifle and wish them all the luck. Tough times has hit the custom rifle business as with all small businesses, but here's hoping they offer a product that's built well and at an affordable price. There will always be a market for quality.

"The older I get, the better I was"
BP-B6

T
T
Same has happenned with accurate innovations stocks bussiness that has been bought and relocated now to Andrews,Nc...BUT THEY DID KEPT THE SAME OLD NAME FOR IT...know this because did received an e-mail from them too,cause i'm scheduled to receive an forest laminated stock $662 for my 375 hh SS MRC 1999 barreled action that still in hold cause MRC are short on parts for the acction from 3rd party...order placed at 06/01/09....do somebody has any experience with this drop in stocks?????tnx

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but I'd trust MRC about as far as I can spit...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You better not be around sharp objects when you look at the price!
Serengeti's start at $10K and Kilimanjaro take off at a cool $13K.
Makes those Kimbers look like garage sale rejects.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Accurate Innovations stock for a MRC 1999, was a true drop in. I got a laminate, 2 friends got walnut for the same. No complaints from the 3 of us. That was back about 4 years, but they dropped right in, no work needed.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I got real lucky with my Serengetti stock, I called them at the same time I ordered my charter issue MRC action back in 02. I told them what I was getting and ordered a AA Claro stock laminated, ebony forend, ebony crossbolt plugs, checkering, metal grip cap, decelerator pad and their custom oil finish.
They charged me $1,100. That same stock today is pushing 5 grand.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by tuly007
Same has happenned with accurate innovations stocks bussiness that has been bought and relocated now to Andrews,Nc...BUT THEY DID KEPT THE SAME OLD NAME FOR IT...know this because did received an e-mail from them too,cause i'm scheduled to receive an forest laminated stock $662 for my 375 hh SS MRC 1999 barreled action that still in hold cause MRC are short on parts for the acction from 3rd party...order placed at 06/01/09....do somebody has any experience with this drop in stocks?????tnx

This is pretty shocking to me. The address for Accurate Innovations puts it about 200yds. from me. shocked
I know nothing about them, but I will be checking that address out.

K22

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That .358 Win is identical to my charter issue MRC .358, even to the scope, but mine is right-handed and stainless steel and the Leupold is silver. Same Leopard pattern stock, checkering, ironwood forend tip. Mine shoots 1/4-inch groups often enough that it is not a fluke. Not sure of your barrel length, but I went with a 21-inch, just because I could. wink

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when it was Acra-Bond, and Mel Smart owned it, you could get one of the laminated stocks for about 450 out the door if you were a local...

Why??

It wasn't a first rate stock, it was the slabs leftover and glued together. 9 out of 10 of them had putty or expoxy added to hide zits that got sawed out too, if you knew where to look.

Those guys at Kilamanjaro sure did Mel proud. His stocks were butt ugly. If you're ever in the area, stop in and meet Gene Gordner. Gene (the singin' cowboy) is perhaps the single most interesting indevidual on the planet. I hope he writes a book someday.

I'm Irish...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
I got real lucky with my Serengetti stock, I called them at the same time I ordered my charter issue MRC action back in 02. I told them what I was getting and ordered a AA Claro stock laminated, ebony forend, ebony crossbolt plugs, checkering, metal grip cap, decelerator pad and their custom oil finish.
They charged me $1,100. That same stock today is pushing 5 grand.
[Linked Image]
Nice rifle!

I bought a Serengeti off the classifieds with a five part laminate stock with AA showing, in 6.5x284 stainless cerekoted MRC barreled action that came with Lapua and Winchester brass, Redding dies and two boxes of commercial custom ammo. Also. Leupold QR bases and rings, which are the mounts I use on other rifles, too.

Not a good pic. It's much nicer in person.
[Linked Image]

It shoots too (hole at top is not a part of the 6.5x284 group) :[Linked Image]

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I met with the new owner of Serengeti/Kilimanjaro a couple of months ago. Actually I have known hm for a couple of years. He's a lawyer from Hawaii named Erik Eike, and I met and hunted with him on a couple of African safaris that Serengeti put together.

He's a VERY avid hunter and shooter, and a good guy. He also has the money to make the company go, and the original partners who got it from Mel Smart didn't. Erik is doing some smart things, including retaining Gene (as chief stockmaker and gunsmith) and keeping the shop in Kalispell. Only the business office will be in Hawaii.

Erik is also doing a lot more promotion, and the right kinds of promotion, something that didn't happen very often with the former Serengeti people.

I have been around the company since Mel's days and it has been interesting to see the changes in the stocks, plus the company in general. The stocks always did work the way Mel designed them to, providing a MUCH better looking laminated stock. But the stuff they are doing these days is really top-notch. It will be interesting to see how much of a market there is in today's economy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indeed it will...

I've known Gene since I was about 14 or so. He used to work with my dad... The gunsmith thing is Gene's latest "thing" You can add that to the list of Ex soldier, working cowboy, musician, saddlemaker/leahterworker (used to work for the Hook brothers) Freetrapper, preacher, and beer drinker laugh Gene was one of 3 people that really took the time and teach me to shoot... Kind of funny he wound up in the gun biz

Charlie Cooter still around?

Is the new guy going to try and patch up the relationship with MRC?

I'm Irish...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Accurate Innovations stock purchased back when they first came out was a problem. I was told they made one for a magnum Mauser action, waited six months to receive one for a standard length action. Took awhile to mill out the aluminum chassis to fit the longer magazine box. It arrived dented from inadequate packaging as an extra feature. I hope the new owner does better, it's a good concept.

Originally I was going to order one of Mel Smart's AccuBond laminate semi-finished stocks, but chose the A. I. stock instead. Received an email that Mr. Smart was in the hospital shortly afterward, unfortunately he never recovered. There was no going back.

Kilimanjaro doesn't offer semi-finished stocks, so I'll not likely do business with them. Indeed I have little use for custom rifle makers since advent of the Savage action. I can sit here and order everything I need for a complete rifle, assemble and finish it myself. Icing on the cake is that the home cobbled rifle shoots as well or better than expensive custom builds. Unfortunately I'm better served by working rifles, although the few I have with exhibition grade wood are a joy to view and handle.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 12/20/09.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just my opinion, but the price point on these rifles is a bit stunning.

For $10,000 I can commission a custom rifle from Duane Weibe; I truly doubt that a MRC action in a laminated stock can compare.

I have no doubt that the Kilimanjaro rifles are good, and at $4,000 I'd prefer them over say, an Ed Brown Serengeti or a McMillan hunting rifle because of the stable, walnut stock. But at $10,000 I expect master class hand work if we're talking bolt rifles.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Just my opinion, but the price point on these rifles is a bit stunning.
That's a very nice way of putting it. grin

Had mine not cost me $1,200.00 shipped with everything mentioned, it would likely not be in my safe. Well, maybe $1,250..... grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently they are not going to be using Montana actions anymore. They are planning a new custom action of their own. I believe they will also still make a rifle on any action you want to provide.

I am as interested as everybody else as to how this will play out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently they are not going to be using Montana actions anymore. They are planning a new custom action of their own. I believe they will also still make a rifle on any action you want to provide.

I am as interested as everybody else as to how this will play out.

JB, proprietary action?? Any info? CRF? Just a curious rifle loony...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

The Brian Sipes' drama never ends laugh

I did see a custom Kimber 84 they did that landed at another local smiths shop.

Very sweet idea, maybe the 84L action?? Barry, from you know where, made a slight hint that way.

But I have to agree... Lee's at 3500 for a stock, and I know two smiths that can do up an absolutely gorgeous M98, blued for another 3K. I'd much rather go that way.. I hate to say it, but the Hawiian may have priced himself right out of a job... They're an upstart again, with fresh blood. 10K is a bit out of line, I think.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their local and I don't hear anyone talk about them,except on here. I was going to take a very nice MRC 1999 300 wsm on trade but I would only be selling it,probably won't because nobody is interested... Remington,winchester,weatherby,tikka for me I don't need any of the headaches these small companies have to offer..

Last edited by highridge1; 12/20/09.

1 and done
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you want a "custom" factory rifle how about one of Nosler's offerings? They run from about $1,800 to $4,000 and can be expected to be in business for awhile. I ordered a few firearms from companies that went belly up shortly afterward, leaving no parts available. In one case they went bankrupt before shipping mine. After the court released them they assembled what parts they had and I got my gun. It's a safe queen now, no parts available, a monument to buying from micro-manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10ring1, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.