Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I was thinking about refinishing the stock on my 700 BDL. It's a lot easier to buy a replacement stock. What do you guys think of Bell and Carlson Carbelite Rifle Stocks? They're in my price range. Thanks!

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
had no problems with the one's i had. got B&C stocks on a couple of guns, have held up fine.

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 12/21/09.

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
forgotto add, Stocky's has some decent buys on B&C lightweights at the moment.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

============================================================

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 2 or 3. Haven't seen trouble with them (apart from not fitting well from the factory on a Ruger I had) but just can't warm up to them. They are too think for my tastes. Price is right but definitely not my favorite. YMMV

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
What brand would you recommend in the same ($200) price range?

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had owned Carbelites, Medalists and HS Precisions (still haven't owned a McMillan) My opinion FWIW, spend a little more money and move up to the Medalist or the HS (both can be had for around 300 depending on upgrades) ...they are worth it (aluminum bedding block, better recoil pad, etc.)

or keep an eye on the classifieds, lots of bdl stocks come up and if you're not in a hurry you can probably find a good deal

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely no problems with mine. I am pleased with the quality & fit. This is my .375 with a B&C stock. You can tell it is an old one because of the built in sling. Bought it new back in the early '80s. It is one tough stock. One thing I do recommend is to have it bedded which is a minor cost.

[Linked Image]

One thing I like about B&C over one particular other brand is the customer service. B&C always answers my questions in a timely & courteous manner. Plus you can call them up & actually talk to a human.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would also consider the Hogue stocks. Some people feel like they are too bulky, but I like the feel of those stocks for a hunting rifle. Also, they have models with both the full bedding and pillar bedding.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
I was thinking about refinishing the stock on my 700 BDL. It's a lot easier to buy a replacement stock. What do you guys think of Bell and Carlson Carbelite Rifle Stocks? They're in my price range. Thanks!

I have one B&C stock, and love it.
And, very importantly, B&C's Customer Service is second to none. They are the best.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a few of the Carbelite stocks. You will have to do some fitting in the receiver and floor plate areas. After you get that done and bed it, the Carbelites are a good stocks for the money. They sure do give you a bunch of finish options.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
IC B3

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the replies. I really can't spend more then $200. I'm also restore/rebuild my 78 Camaro. I pick my engine block up from my machinist this week or early next week. I still have a lot of parts to buy for that as well.

I got a lot of irons in the fire right now!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They are hard to beat for price. They are a bit thick in thewrist but they do a nice job soaknig up recoil and the Medalist I bought has made my rifle MUCH more consistent.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
pm sent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed... They're bulky and heavier than what McMillan and Lone Wolf have to offer. But they're made from chopped glass cloth, and about half the coin...

And Alaskan Walnut is light years ahead of wood wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe I got lucky on my Carbelite, but my Howa action dropped right in. Not so lucky with a McMillan Swirly that cost twice as much. I really think B&C makes great stocks, not just for the money either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had someone tell me that he thought B&C might discourage bedding Carbelite models, because, when the stock "gives," the glass bedding often shatters.

Any heard this before or had any like experiences? I have one on order for a Mark X Mauser action.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
fremont;
While I don't have extensive experience with Bell & Carlson stocks, I have bedded 2 older Carbelites and a newer one that might have been a Medalist or new Carbelite, I can't be sure now. The newer one fit me better in that it was thinner in the wrist, but otherwise I thought they were a pretty good stock for the money, albeit a little on the heavy side for a synthetic.

Last I heard, all three rifles are still being used quite hard annually here in BC by their owners, sometimes in very cold conditions and none have moved one iota.

The rifles were, by the way, two Weatherby's, a Mark V in .300 Weatherby and a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag and a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag in the newer stock.

While I might be unclear on the concept, I can't see how a stock that flexes at all in the action area would shoot any sort of group or hold zero in any way.

I did install aluminum tubes in all of them to keep the foam core from being crushed and I also bedded the floor plate/ trigger guard on all three. One could substitute the aluminum with a pillar of bedding compound that should suffice if that makes more sense to the person doing the bedding.

In my view, they would be preferable to most injection molded stocks I've worked on.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck with your Mark X.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/13/10. Reason: remove an "any"

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne: Very helpful; thanks. MH

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fremont see the picture above of my .375. When the rifle was a .300 I had it bedded. It was rebarrelled a few years ago for .375. I have never had a problem with the bedding shattering. Give B&C a call as they have outstanding customer service.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just received an EDGE that I bought for my BIL. He has a Win70 featherweight in '06. When we pulled the action from the B&C stock, I noticed a crack. No just a minor crack. It went completely through the stock, from top to bottom, in the area between the trigger and mag. Basically in 2 pieces.
I have a B&C stock on another rifle. Not too bad, but I'm just waiting for it to break so I can put another brand on it.

For the money, better than factory. However, for just a bit more $, you can get a much better quality stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 48 invisible), 3,285 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.