Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcarr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Can anyone tell me if the triggers for the 550 and 527 are interchangable?

Looking to replace the one in my 527 with a Timney, but Timney only lists for the 550 standard or magnum. Comparing mine with the photo on their website, I'm fairly certain it would work, but I may be missing something.

Thanks for any help.

GB1

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You should call CZ-USA or Timney and ask. I know in function they are identical, but considering the difference in the action sizes between the 527 & 550, i would guess that they are not the same actual trigger. I have owned both, but not at the same time, so i haven't compared them side by side.

You do know that the 527 & 550 triggers can be tuned to be very nice, right? I got into commercial Mauser 98's for a few years and every one i owned, got a timney trigger installed. Nice triggers those Timneys.

Anyway, i bought a CZ550 and had the factory tune the trigger. In my letter, besides the stating my desired poundage for the set and single triggers, i specifically stated that i wanted it to be comparable to a Timney trigger. What i got back was phenomenal! Every bit as nice as a Timney with the added bonus of of the set function...if you don't like the set function, that can be adjusted out.

In my opinion, the CZ 550(& 527) triggers are superior to a timney.

DW

Last edited by DMW; 12/21/09.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don't know about the fit between the two models.

I do know that once you get the CZ trigger adjusted there is no need to upgrade.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have to agree, my 527 trigger beats any replacement trigger I have used.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
tcarr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yeah, I've been impressed with every CZ 527 I've ever shot in regards to both accuracy and trigger - except mine.

If anyone can draw the short straw, its me. In comparison to the 5 different 527's a buddy owns, mine was the stinker. I don't have the manual with me at the moment so the names may be wrong, but basically, the trigger housing's inside dimensions are so great that stuff just flops around in there. The top of the trigger that contacts the sear cants diagonally, so that to get a good pull is impossible without adjusting out the set trigger, and even then the sear only engages about half the the trigger. It's decent enough, but doesn't inspire confidence safety wise.

That, and the stock was only contacting the forend and the tang; with everything tightened up the receiver ring didn't even touch the stock. But it shot great with all that pressure on the forend, until the forearm started to ease up a little after about a year and the darn thing did some massive vertical stringing. I mean, from the box with handloads, this 22 Hornet was an honest all day half incher for 3 shots, and then one day it was stringing them straight up about 3 inches.

So I clean out the barrel channel a bit to free float the barrel enough to get a playing card under it, and when I put it back together the bottom metal is just hanging out the front; never any wood to metal contact under the front receiver ring. But the good part about it is I didn't have to take out any wood there when I glass bedded it!

So now I've got a rifle that's glass bedded, free floated, with a so-so trigger that may or may not be safe, and it strings shots vertically about four inches, but at least when it strings them, it holds about 1/4 minute windage.

My buddy and I have tweaked a lot of triggers and worked out bedding problems on a lot of rifles over the last 25 years, but this particular 527 has tested me severely. So much so that I put it in the safe and didn't even look at it for the last couple years. Now that winter is here and the nights are long, I'm needing another project, and gosh knows I've been without a Hornet for too long. And I just found out that Pac-Nor offers barrels pre-threaded for the 527.........

IC B2

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
how much have you fiddled with the trigger?

If i were you, I would get on the phone with CZ and talk to them about it.

Even though the rifle is well outside its warranty, they still might help you on their dime.

I had to send my 550 back for warranty work...the action was offset in the stock and the bolt handle was contacting and causing a dent to form. i used it for that deer season (it actually shot very well), but as soon as it was over, back to the factory it went. they centered the action in the stock, fully free floated the barrel, bedded the action and sanded out the dent and finished the wood in that area.

the trigger tuning i requested was an addition fee, ($35 i think) that i told them i was was going to pay for...gave them my billing info and everything. they tuned the trigger superbly, and never charged me a dime.

It was unfortunate to have to send a brand new rifle back, but sometimes one slips through the cracks. they took care of my issue and i am happy with them.

Call CZ.

DW

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Call CZ and ask for Matt Hunter. Or you can e-mail him if you like..."Matt Hunter" <mhuntercz-usa.com>.

I believe Matt told me that the 527 trigger is the same as the 550 trigger, but it would be best to verify that. At any rate, you will not need an aftermarket trigger because CZ will take care of your problem. I have seen very few companies in any type business that have better product backup.

I won't go into what they did to make my 527 'right', but believe me, I could not have asked for more.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I did do a trigger job on the factory trigger on a CZ 527, the unset part of the trigger. The set trigger was fine as received. All I can say now is, the trigger in the unset mode is as good as any trigger I've pulled. So, it is possible to improve the 527 trigger. In fact, I prefer using the trigger in the unset mode as I can get "into" the trigger better when shooting.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.