Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cwh2
I won't claim to be in the same league of shooters that you have gotten advice from, but I will say that I've learned more from my .223s than any other rifle (22rf could be the exception).

Very common and cheap brass, tons of good bullets from under 40 to over 80 grains, easy to reload, easy to shoot, easy to spot your hits through the scope at all ranges. Shooting 50's in the wind is pretty instructive....

If I went that route it would be a good excuse to get an AR... : )

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by whizbangdaddy
Originally Posted by oldman1942

My buddy with his 09' buck at 130 yards. Note the "long range Savage 99 in 300 with a 2-7 loopie. 130 TSX at 2800, DOA.

[Linked Image]

Your buddy's fly is unzipped or unbuttoned. laugh laugh laugh crazy

dieing quivers laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To address the OP : What I know of Long Range hunting [ as opposed to LR shooting ] I've learned from reading posts on this forum . My take on the definition is this :

Long Range hunting occurs when distance - rather than the quality of the animal - defines the hunt .

There is nothing "wrong" with it . It takes the focus off the quality of the game taken and puts it on the ability of the shooter .

A hunter who prides himself on only shooting bucks in their bed is doing the same thing .

I personally have killed enough ordinary deer in my life to pass them up . That doesn't make me an " elitest " and doesn't keep me from admiring a dink shot at long range or in his bed .

I killed my first deer 55 years ago with a 22 lr and if I didn't keep changing my hunting philosophy , I would have gotten bored to the point of giving it up long ago .

My philosophy for the past few years is simple : I hunt until it is time to shoot , then I shoot ! Some hunts I don't shoot at all . Other times I may pass on better animals than I wind up taking . I never shoot just to fill a tag .

If I shoot a pretty ordinary buck at 400 yards primarily because he is 400 yards [ and I've done that ] I'm engaging in Long Range hunting .

If I shoot a buck at 400 + yards because he is a really good one [ and I havn't done THAT !] I'm just hunting for the best buck in the pasture which is what I usually do .

Just my two cents worth on the subject , and - as I said - I derived it from reading what you guys post . grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What distance is "long range"?

I believe there are at least two distinct determinants for what constitutes long range, the personal comfort zone and the accepted group norm (the second changes quickly as the "group" is an ever changing entity).

Personal:

If I have some doubts about my ability to easily hit a target, whatever it may be, I am shooting at a distance I consider long range. The distance changes from day to day (environmental conditions), by firearm and the target (characteristics).

Group:

If I'm plinking with a group of shooters at distances within the comfort zone of the individual group members it doesn't seem to matter the distance, it is not long range. If one of the group happens to call for a "spot for me" and whacks a rock or steel at well beyond the groups comfort zone, that is long range. It's a relative system.

The group acceptable situation is nice so long as there aren't any outside members allowed. Invite (or suffer) a 100 yard shooter in a 600 yard group and you'll either need to limit the shots to 100 yards, teach the new fella to shoot or endure the "education".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 358WCF, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.