Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was planning to buy some cast iron in the new year. Was going to get a 14" pan, a wok, and a 12" dutch oven from either Wagner or Lodge.

My wife got wind of my plan and got me a 14" pan from Cabelas. Anyone use this before? Thoughts and/or comments?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
No thoughts/comments on Cabela's wares, mine are all mostly handed down from my grand parents and great grand parents, and we use them almost exclusively.

The three I use the most to feed a family of five are a 16" skillet, a 12" skillet, and a deeper 10" pan with lid.

Properly seasoned is the only way to rock........

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Roy...bring that 16 incher to the Nelson County cabin so you can feed your extended family.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Sam......

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shame it is made in China, but good quality.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Chinese cast iron is of poor quality. It develops hot spots, the iron tends to be spongy, and it cracks. From what I have seen, it is very difficult to season properly, and so rough inside, that you have to take a grinder to it.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most of the cast cookware now made has teflon coating and cannot be seasoned, it completly defeats the purpose of cast. I use a Wagner for most all my cooking.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela. "

I've one of the 'antique' 10" unlabeled cast irons pans and it performs right along with Griswalds and Wagners in the kitchen collection. I see quite a few at second hand shops, flea markets and auctions. Usually priced at a fifth of the Griswalds and Wagners.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Why is that?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
because it will exhibit the opposite characteristics of the chinese cast iron.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We don't have any cast iron manufacturers that I know of here in Canada, so any I would get here would be imported whether from the US or China. OTOH ... I totally agree with and understand you disdain for imported Chinese goods.

While this pan wouldn't have been my first choice, I was hoping for some feedback from any who have first hand used it. I'm stuck with it now, so I may as well make the best of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let us know how it works for you. I have a friend that loves cast iron cooking.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Supercub,

I have not used the cabelas brand but looking at their user reviews most were happy with what they got,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/reviews.jsp?productid=516266

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I was planning to buy some cast iron in the new year. Was going to get a 14" pan, a wok, and a 12" dutch oven from either Wagner or Lodge.

My wife got wind of my plan and got me a 14" pan from Cabelas. Anyone use this before? Thoughts and/or comments?

I'd worry that they were made in China, where you don't know what kinds of metals they are made from.

I have one skillet that belonged to my grandmother, and a bunch of other Griswold cast iron I bought on ebay.

Once you learn how to season them, and keep them seasoned, they are amazingly non-stick. With a little butter, fried eggs literally slide right out of the skillet into your plate. No sticking, and they last literally forever.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
I've one of the 'antique' 10" unlabeled cast irons pans and it performs right along with Griswalds and Wagners in the kitchen collection.
That must be what I have. My mother gave me my grandmother's old cast iron skillet a couple of years ago, and I posted here to see if anyone could identify the maker. It only has a number 8 on the bottom, and nothing else. Works great, though, once I learned how to season it. My mom tells me it was already old back in the 1930s, so no telling when it was made.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub

We don't have any cast iron manufacturers that I know of here in Canada, so any I would get here would be imported whether from the US or China. OTOH ... I totally agree with and understand you disdain for imported Chinese goods.

While this pan wouldn't have been my first choice, I was hoping for some feedback from any who have first hand used it. I'm stuck with it now, so I may as well make the best of it.

The Chinese cast iron make fine wall decorations. laugh

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you're buying cast iron because of its known attributes, you'll be much better off looking for the vintage stuff. As stated earlier, Chinese iron is known for everything BUT quality and uniformity. I would look at LodgeLogic- I have a niece that recently purchased some and was very pleased.
http://www.castironcookware.com/
I'm disappointed in Cabelas- I looked at boots there not long ago, and failed to find a single pair that wasn't made in China.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
From Lodge's website:

Are Lodge products made in the USA?
All of our foundry seasoned cast iron products, including the Signature Series, are manufactured in the USA. Our Lodge Enamel items are imported from China.

< Back to Top

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stray
From Lodge's website:

Are Lodge products made in the USA?
All of our foundry seasoned cast iron products, including the Signature Series, are manufactured in the USA. Our Lodge Enamel items are imported from China.

< Back to Top

For enameled cast iron (I only use enameled for dutch ovens), I have Staub, which is made in France, and is of the highest quality. All else (skillets, griddles, chicken fryers) are Griswold plain cast iron (plus the one unmarked antique skillet from my grandmother).

PS I bought one piece from Lodge and didn't like it nearly as much as Griswold. They tend to have very rough cooking surfaces.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.

Last edited by acesandeights; 12/26/09.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.