Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#3610614 - 12/26/09 01:46 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: SuperCub]
Mannlicher Online   happy
Campfire Oracle

Loc: N. Central Florida, and Miami
I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.
I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.

I named my Dog..........wait for it.........Muhammad laugh

#3610623 - 12/26/09 01:53 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Mannlicher]
SuperCub Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NB / Canada
Originally Posted By: Mannlicher
I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.

Thanks, I will go that route before even trying it out. I don't have any experience with cast iron but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it needed a smooth surface to work right.

I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.

No problem here. smile

#3610880 - 12/26/09 04:01 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Mannlicher]
Spanokopitas Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Oregon

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.

www.crowandbear.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

#3610944 - 12/26/09 04:25 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Spanokopitas]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Florida
Originally Posted By: Spanokopitas

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.
Here where?
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#3610960 - 12/26/09 04:30 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
Spanokopitas Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Oregon

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

www.crowandbear.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

#3610980 - 12/26/09 04:39 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Spanokopitas]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Florida
Originally Posted By: Spanokopitas

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Oh, sorry. You did give the title, didn't you? I thought that was your summary of what the book covered. I should have noticed the caps.
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#3611144 - 12/26/09 05:49 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Armen]
acesandeights Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: So Oregon
Originally Posted By: Armen
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge cast iron is made in China, now?

Sheeze, it seems like nothing is sacred these days.

When Case knives start being made over there, we'll know the "end is near".

No, Lodge is made in the USA, except for the enameled cast iron. Basically if it's black it's made in the USA.

There are two grades of enameled cast iron from Lodge, both made in China. Most of the department store enameled cast iron is also made in China.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS

#3611152 - 12/26/09 05:51 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Mannlicher]
acesandeights Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: So Oregon
Originally Posted By: acesandeights
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.

no different eh? ohhhhhhhhhhhh K.

Yes, most of the department store and "signature" series enameled cast iron is made in China, just like Lodge's enameled cast iron. Lodge offers two "grades" of enameled cast iron (has different layers of enamel). All of their non-enameled cast iron is made in the USA.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS

#3611169 - 12/26/09 05:58 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: acesandeights]
Qtip Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Upstate New York land of taxes
Wifey has a Lodge cast iron stew pot that was preseasoned and it's great. We also have a very large Lodge two-handed pan but I am going to have to finish the surface as it is very rough.
Have quite a few Griswald's that were my Mom's and grandfather's and they are great.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

#3611334 - 12/26/09 06:59 PM Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. [Re: Qtip]
Barkoff Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Central CA
Have a cast iron tortilla warmer form Australia. Snagged it at the flea market. Of course not sure if that was the intended purpose of the piece, round, no sides, just a very small rise along the edges.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
HUNT with JJHACK!  CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
819 registered (12344mag, 10pointer, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 90 invisible), 1781 Guests and 368 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633924 Topics
9093900 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.