Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have used Lodge once it O.K. Ihave a full collection of Griswald/Wagner passed down from my mothers side its all I use. A good place to hunt cast is junk stores antique stores if you get some old gris or wagner you'll be much happier and it's worth more.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Suggest you get a copy of "Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies". Plenty of good information about selecting same. Also lot's of recipes. Still want to try that chicken recipe "Country Captain".

Be warned; when new, cast-iron is not smooth. It is sand cast after all and will take a lot of use to get that nice smooth surface we all like. Grandma has been using her's for how long after all? Probably the single best reason to buy it at a second-hand store.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acesandeights
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.

no different eh? ohhhhhhhhhhhh K.

Sam......

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a Cabela 14" dutch oven and it was really rough sand cast. I coated it with Lard and baked it a couple of times, but wasn't making much headway on getting it seasoned fit to use. I took it out to the shop and used my big angle grinder and a knotted steel cup brush and worked it real good inside, then seasoned it again. Works great now and goes hunting and camping with me all the time.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Super,
Try http://www.ebay.ca/

searce cast iron cookware or my favorite enamel cookware make sure its cast iron. Look off and on until you find what you want.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hold on, yes Cabala's line is Chinese, but they also sell the Lodge Logic which I believe is better a U.S cast iron products.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love finding old cast iron at flea markets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge cast iron is made in China, now?

Sheeze, it seems like nothing is sacred these days.

When Case knives start being made over there, we'll know the "end is near".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive got some new made in teh USA cast iron from Lodge.....is it as good(smooth) as my dad's old cast iron? no but yah got to start somewhere....i say better using the USA Lodge stuff than using nothing...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Allen917
I bought a Cabela 14" dutch oven and it was really rough sand cast. I coated it with Lard and baked it a couple of times, but wasn't making much headway on getting it seasoned fit to use. I took it out to the shop and used my big angle grinder and a knotted steel cup brush and worked it real good inside, then seasoned it again. Works great now and goes hunting and camping with me all the time.

I wondered about giving it a smoother finish with a 5" flapper disc on my mini grinder as the surface is a bit rough. I may give that a try. Either way, I'm stuck with it so I'll have to make it work.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.
I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.

Thanks, I will go that route before even trying it out. I don't have any experience with cast iron but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it needed a smooth surface to work right.

I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.

No problem here. smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.
Here where?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Oh, sorry. You did give the title, didn't you? I thought that was your summary of what the book covered. I should have noticed the caps.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Armen

Lodge cast iron is made in China, now?

Sheeze, it seems like nothing is sacred these days.

When Case knives start being made over there, we'll know the "end is near".

No, Lodge is made in the USA, except for the enameled cast iron. Basically if it's black it's made in the USA.

There are two grades of enameled cast iron from Lodge, both made in China. Most of the department store enameled cast iron is also made in China.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by acesandeights

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.

no different eh? ohhhhhhhhhhhh K.

Yes, most of the department store and "signature" series enameled cast iron is made in China, just like Lodge's enameled cast iron. Lodge offers two "grades" of enameled cast iron (has different layers of enamel). All of their non-enameled cast iron is made in the USA.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Wifey has a Lodge cast iron stew pot that was preseasoned and it's great. We also have a very large Lodge two-handed pan but I am going to have to finish the surface as it is very rough.
Have quite a few Griswald's that were my Mom's and grandfather's and they are great.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a cast iron tortilla warmer form Australia. Snagged it at the flea market. Of course not sure if that was the intended purpose of the piece, round, no sides, just a very small rise along the edges.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.