-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCM cases are the same head size as belted cases, but the case itself is the diameter of the belt, rather than the smaller belted (H&H-style) cases. So building a 6.5 or 7 mm RCM would be dead simple in any short action set up for a .350 Rem, et al.

Just one of the multiple reasons I'd like to build a 6.5 RCM one of these days... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by muledeer
RCM cases are the same head size as belted cases, but the case itself is the diameter of the belt, rather than the smaller belted (H&H-style) cases. So building a 6.5 or 7 mm RCM would be dead simple in any short action set up for a .350 Rem, et al. Dennis

Dennis,

Well, I guess that blows my theory... blush Evidently, the gunsmith who told me that was wrong....

That being said, What is the difference between the RCM case and the SAUM case?

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jim shut down HE when his sales dropped to almost zero after the .300 WSM was introduced. I was sorry to see it, but that is how it goes.

The Hornady RCM brass that I have goes .530" on the head and the Hornady .376 Steyr measures .500" so there is considerable difference. The .376 Steyr case is derived from the 9X64 case, and the Ruger and Ruger Compacct Magnum is not.

The .348 Win itself was descended from a black powder case, .50-110 IIRC...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

GH - The RCMs are not rebated rims so better in regards to potential bolt over ride feeding problems. RCMs are significantly less case capacity than the SAUMs (roughly in the 70grs versus closer to 80grs range water to the mouth I believe).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

300SAUM
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whelen_B; 01/06/10.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I asked Ruger/Hornady to consider a 6.5 RCM, so I will have to check at SHOT to see if there is any glimmer.

Hi Jim -

While you're putting bees in their bonnets, ask about a .25 RCM. Probably with .25 WSSM essentially come 'n' gone I doubt winchester will gives us a .25 WSM, but Hornady and Ruger might tackle that gap.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Whelen_B

GH - The RCMs are not rebated rims so better in regards to potential bolt over ride feeding problems. RCMs are significantly less case capacity than the SAUMs (roughly in the 70grs versus closer to 80grs range water to the mouth I believe).

Whelen,

Thanks for posting those diagrams. Now all this has me wondering where the RCM fits in the grand scheme of things.

Supposedly the SAUM is dead, because the WSM out-performs it, And yet the RCM is even less than the SAUM...

That being said, I have rifles in the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM, .325 WSM, 7mm SAUM, and .300 SAUM. And I had a .300 WSM, but sold it. Of them all, my favorites are the 7mm SAUM and the I expect the .325 to become a favored one.

In all honesty, I fail to see what perceived gap the RCM fills...

However the above notwithstanding, I can see a #1-S in .338 RCM coming to roost in my gun safe. blush (Us rifle looneys seem to be a bit irrational, at times...)

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ahhhhhhh....., Grasshopper...Sometimes "Less is More.."

"Wax on.., wax off........"

...and for the RCM, less IS more...

less case diameter, more magazine capacity, and bolt pick up...

Less shoulder angle, more slippery feeding....

less bullet intrusion into powder space, more inclined for a 2.800" C.O.L mag. length.

Less powder, more like a 338-06/35 Whelen(respectable big game cartridges in their own right)

If the 350/6.5 Rem Mag and the 284 Win got together and had a baby..., it would grow up to be a RCM.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If the 350/6.5 Rem Mag and the 284 Win got together and had a baby..., it would grow up to be a RCM.

Good one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 6.5-300 or 6.5-338 RCM is on my list of things to do... as soon as I dump the cash for the reamer and dies, Ruger will come out with the other as a factory offering, so you guys should all be good to go... LOL.

The RCM, WSM, or RSAUM mag box for the M77 can go four down when stuffed with RCM cases, with a little massaging of the follower.

As far as case capacity, Hornady claims 68 grains for the 338 and 72 for the 300...

Last edited by MattMan; 01/07/10.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mattman,

Are you talking about the newer Mark II M77 allowing four to fit the magazine? I just tried placing some 338 RCMs in the tang safety M77 and only three will fit the magazine.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

Unless one starts with a standard Ruger RCM, and then one is stuck with owning a Ruger. (Which means one is STUCK with a hokey safety... frown )

I had a gunsmith who knows Rugers and has figured out how to lengthen the Ruger M77 safety do one for me for my M77 Hawkeye African .375 Ruger. So far I don't see the need for my .300 RCM, but I may decide to have it "fixed" too with use.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Mattman,

Are you talking about the newer Mark II M77 allowing four to fit the magazine? I just tried placing some 338 RCMs in the tang safety M77 and only three will fit the magazine.

Only with the correct mag box and follower. Ruger designed a new mag box and follower to fit 3 WSMs down, instead of just 2 like everyone else. So with the RCM diameter, you can get 4 down in the short fat mag box, if you know what to do where...

On a tang model, I'd think you should be able to get 4 down by using a 350 or 6.5 mag box and follower. Don't know, never had one, nor have I tried. But a 243 tang model holds 5 down, and I thought the belted models held 4. The tang mag boxes and stocks were deeper than the MKIIs and Hawkeyes.

The safety hasn't proven to be an issue yet on any MKII or Hawkeye I've been around... much less hokey... I don't trust nor to I rely on safeties, but the Ruger design is about as idiot proof as I've seen.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I looked for a sako a7 338 federal in stainless to modify into 338 rcm but haven't found one yet. I am curious to see if the rcm will feed out of the sako a7 magazine. Bolt face has enough meat to be opened and a 338 federal or 7mm-08 could be rechambered easily, I would think.
Should give 338-06 or 280 performance in light handy rifle.
K

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I can't figure out why we need yet another case shape necked to .284, but "need" stopped being a relevant criteria about 1965.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by utah708
"Need" stopped being a relevant criteria about 1965.

Hey! I resemble that remark! smile

I fail to see the issue of how many rounds in the "belly". I never load more that 3 rounds in my rifles... And have never needed more than two.

I do readily admit that is excluding Alaska and Africa... (But if you're hunting dangerous game, one is likely to use more than a 7mm anyway...) smile

Grasshopper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can stick two or three down in a mag that holds four, but you can't stick four in the one that only holds two.

That's the advantage... grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MattMan
You can stick two or three down in a mag that holds four, but you can't stick four in the one that only holds two.

That's the advantage... grin

I'm an Optimist not a Pessimist, therefore I dont need all that ammo... grin

Which reminds me of a story (true): My buddy took his 17 yr old son out hunting. When they came in, he didn't see him unload his rifle. When he queried the kid, the kid said he already did. So he asked him how many rounds he had... And the kid reached in his pocket and took out two rounds. He said: "That all you got?" The kid answered: "I only need one, but I brought two in case I made a bad shot and need a follow up."

Now that's Optimism! smile

Grasshopper

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by brno284
Hey just day dreaming and wondering if anyone had taken the 300 RCM case and necked it down to 7mm. Looks like it would be a dandy little cartridge and should feed a might bit better than the WSM or SAUM. This is one 7mm I would buy or may build. Thoughts?? Anyone starting one???

Brno 284

I like the whole RCM package.. Plenty of power for B.C. hunting in a nice little package..
If Ruger came out with a 7RCM I would buy one..
Another one that appeals to me is the .358-30RCM which I understand has been done..
smile

Last edited by Nrut; 01/08/10.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Which reminds me of a story (true): My buddy took his 17 yr old son out hunting. When they came in, he didn't see him unload his rifle. When he queried the kid, the kid said he already did. So he asked him how many rounds he had... And the kid reached in his pocket and took out two rounds. He said: "That all you got?" The kid answered: "I only need one, but I brought two in case I made a bad shot and need a follow up."

Grasshopper

That's a classic. smile

I can remember another true story about a guy (real genuine dipshit) on a trophy rut muzzleloader elk hunt that didn't even bring a possibles bag, so he had to stuff everything in his pockets. He lost his extra caps whilst dropping dukie in the woods... which remained undiscovered until he needed a second shot to finish a huge 7x7 bull. I'm too ashamed to tell the story of the rodeo that ensued... but it lasted nearly 8 hours and involved at least one trip all the way back to civilization and a near heart attack for the hunter. I wasn't there, I would have knocked him cold with the butt of his rifle and left him lost in the woods...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MattMan

Grasshopper

That's a classic. smile

I can remember another true story about a guy (real genuine dipshit) on a trophy rut muzzleloader elk hunt that didn't even bring a possibles bag, so he had to stuff everything in his pockets. He lost his extra caps whilst dropping dukie in the woods... which remained undiscovered until he needed a second shot to finish a huge 7x7 bull. I'm too ashamed to tell the story of the rodeo that ensued... but it lasted nearly 8 hours and involved at least one trip all the way back to civilization and a near heart attack for the hunter. I wasn't there, I would have knocked him cold with the butt of his rifle and left him lost in the woods...

Matt,

Nice story...

The kid graduated from HS last spring, I gave him a M-700 SS Mtn rifle in .280 Rem for his graduation. He took his deer with it this year. smile (ONe shot!) (Last Nov.)

Last Monday, he left to be inducted into military service. I never had any sons... Thus he and his brother are like my God-sons... smile

Grasshopper

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.