24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Glock didn't constantly claim "Perfection" and so many people didn't swallow the myth, it wouldn't be so much fun to tweak them with the documented failures. smirk

A good 1911 needs no hype.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
If Glock didn't constantly claim "Perfection" and so many people didn't swallow the myth, it wouldn't be so much fun to tweak them with the documented failures. smirk

A good 1911 needs no hype.

+1..................

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't hate them personally, just don't want one and, yeah, I think it's pretty silly to think that a plastics engineer could design the "Perfect" handgun when real gun designers have been pursueing that Holy Grail for centuries.

Oh and then there are all those AD's from the "Safe Action," too much marketing hype for me.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummmmmmmm you don't say! Well, I just happened to be in Oaky land not long ago with dogs and ran into several of those people who praise their Glock pistols. I myself hate with a passion Poly or Plastic on cars and especially guns of any kind.

Nonetheless, GLOCK has shown me the light of day and they are as good as the old Timex watch I used to wear. It just kept on ticking no matter what it had to go through. It was extremely dependable, I had that wind up watch for over 10 years. Never a problem!

GLOCKS are in the same dependability class bare-none guy! NO other pistol out there can take the abuse of a Glock and still keep on firing. You can check out the U-TUBE video's of people putting Glocks though those torture tests.

I can only say, I don't like their looks, Plum Ugly savvy but they are a pistol I can bet my life on in a tight situation and when pulling that trigger those GLOCKS have NEVER failed to go BOOM!!! This by far is the most important issue when should think about in a Self-Defense weapon...tight groups are nice but I don't need a 1-moa at 25 or 50 yards in a self-defense situation. I need a weapon that will in fact go BOOM BOOM BOOM when I pull that trigger!

Last edited by Tonk; 12/19/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Tonk
Ummmmmmmm you don't say! Well, I just happened to be in Oaky land not long ago with dogs and ran into several of those people who praise their Glock pistols. I myself hate with a passion Poly or Plastic on cars and especially guns of any kind.

Nonetheless, GLOCK has shown me the light of day and they are as good as the old Timex watch I used to wear. It just kept on ticking no matter what it had to go through. It was extremely dependable, I had that wind up watch for over 10 years. Never a problem!

GLOCKS are in the same dependability class bare-none guy! NO other pistol out there can take the abuse of a Glock and still keep on firing. You can check out the U-TUBE video's of people putting Glocks though those torture tests.

I can only say, I don't like their looks, Plum Ugly savvy but they are a pistol I can bet my life on in a tight situation and when pulling that trigger those GLOCKS have NEVER failed to go BOOM!!! This by far is the most important issue when should think about in a Self-Defense weapon...tight groups are nice but I don't need a 1-moa at 25 or 50 yards in a self-defense situation. I need a weapon that will in fact go BOOM BOOM BOOM when I pull that trigger!

A sensible perspective!

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
good for you. I carried a 1911 for years and it worked fine. I maintained it well and it worked. The glock on the other hand works well no matter what, maintanence or otherwise. choose what you will, I see glocks everywhere in use overseas, 1911's, hardly ever.

I've carried a 1911 in 45 ACP under the seat of my truck for many years the gun will get covered with dust and is not maintained and it always goes gang no mater what ammo I feed it. I shoot and shoot it before it is ever cleaned in fact it will litterely be fillthy from powder residue before it is cleaned and it still always works.

Glocks do not have the corner on reliability

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I see glocks everywhere in use overseas, 1911's, hardly ever.

If frequency or commonality of use - overseas or otherwise - was the indicator of what is best, we should probably all be packin' Beretta pistols or maybe Makarovs and AK47's.

Government contracts (including local governments) might reflect what is economically prudent (or not). They might reflect what is politically acceptable. But that's a poor way to judge what is best for individuals or even best overall. What works passably in third-world conditions doesn't necessarily translate to the best choice for individuals in a "civilized" setting. Same goes for what works best for "organizational" purposes.

But if that's your criteria for picking your personal arms, it probably won't hurt you.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Some of the design issues that make Glocks so reliable also contribute to the Kabooms. With all these pages, no one has spoke of the actual issues involved.

Glocks have a HUGE chamber that is not supported. When you add in extremely high chamber pressures of the 9mm and the 40 S& W to the fact that the chamber is not fully supported, you indeed will have issues with bulged-weakened brass wanting to explode in an unsuported chamber.

I do reload for my two Glocks, jacketed bullets. I buy once fired brass from police ranges. It is obvious that the brass that has been fired from Glocks have a bulge in the brass in front of the web. If this brass were to be fired with a hot load, you indeed have the makings of a KaBoom.

Since the brass that I reload has a bulge in it to begin with, it is obvious that I should use a replacement barrel that has a fully supported chamber...I had rather be safe than sorry.

I shoot IDPA matches, and it is surprising how few shooters reload anymore. If more shooters reloaded for their glocks, then you would see a frequency rate perhaps 3x it's current rate of Kabooms....all due to to the huge unsuported chambers with brass previously shot out of another glock.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Send all your glocks to me.

I will take those dangerous firearms off your hands free of charge.

I carry a glock on a daily basis. They are the most widely used firearm by police both federal and local!

Never had a problem with mine. Esox3006

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Numerous Glocks have KaBoomed with factory ammo. I am personally aware of two which occurred on LE ranges with issued factory .40 ammo; and another 10mm that let go on the first round of a reload we had been using by the hundreds in Colt Deltas. (Knowing Glock would howl "It's the ammo!" I personally fired the rest of that box of 10mm through a Colt Delta Elite.) I am aware, via NCIC bulletins, of literally dozens of other LE Glocks cracking up over a ten year period and the vast majority of them were being fired with factory loads at the time.

Then, the reports just sorta tapered off into nothing. Why? I have long contended that Glock, who will never admit there was a chamber-support problem in the first place, made subtle changes to mitigate this problem. You take a look and decide for yourself. The LWD barrel is an aftermarket barrel.

[Linked Image]

When reloading the .40 S&W, you have to assume that any brass you pick up may have been through one of the sloppy chambers. I use range pick-ups exclusively and I keep the velocity of my reloads down around 800 fps to account for it. They feed, function and shoot just fine; and I never worry about blowing a casehead.

The older G23 barrel came in my wife's police trade-in. I didn't like the looks of it and I replaced her barrel with the Lone Wolf barrel, at right.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I doubt I tried to tell you whats best for you where you live/work/play, or even what is politically prudent or wtf ever. I mention what I see and use and trust. What ever you use in your small world that doesn't include what I choose to carry, good for you. Stay there, it's probably where you belong anyway.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Esox357
Send all your glocks to me.

I will take those dangerous firearms off your hands free of charge.

I carry a glock on a daily basis. They are the most widely used firearm by police both federal and local!

Never had a problem with mine. Esox3006

If I ever aquire one by accident, I'll do just that..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt I tried to tell you whats best for you where you live/work/play, or even what is politically prudent or wtf ever. I mention what I see and use and trust. What ever you use in your small world that doesn't include what I choose to carry, good for you. Stay there, it's probably where you belong anyway.

First, rgrx, if you're serving in our military - thanks for that.

It's funny that you say my world is small...really funny. My comment, unlike yours, wasn't meant as a personal attack on you or your preferred handgun. I just stated my opinion of what you seemed to be applying as a measurement of acceptability or supremacy for all. Note that I did not say your standard was in any way inferior or dangerous - just that it doesn't apply to everyone.

You may have noticed that I like to tweak the Glockophiles around here from time to time. Doesn't mean anything to anybody, except those who take themselves and Glock's marketing strategy too seriously. If Glock (the company) wasn't spewing so much hype all the time, it wouldn't even be fun.

The fact is - as I think you more-or-less acknowledged - that the Glock is a pistol "for the masses". It is easy to train a large number of people in a limited time to use it well. It has certain features that have been determined to look good in court. It is relatively inexpensive to operate and maintain, and can be obtained at a relatively good price.

All that is why I said it makes sense for large organizations and/or third-world use. That doesn't mean I think it's a "bad" pistol or that I think anyone who uses one is making a mistake. All it means is that I don't believe basing your opinion of an object's "perfection" solely on the criteria of who uses it and where and how often is necessarily a good idea - unless you are in the same or similar situation as those you use as an example.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As FreeMe has stated, he does get a bit of a kick out of tweakin' us Glock guys.........wink.

He and I ran head long into each other when I first joined this forum and it was in regards to this very same subject, albeit, I don't think that I was quite as Glock loyal as you in my remarks. That's not to say that I don't feel strongly positive about Glocks as well.....

But as our "conversation" matured (wink), we came to an understanding of sorts. From that point forward to this day, I've learned a great deal from FreeMe's posts and have come to better understand his "approach" to things.

Maybe nobodies opinions really matter as has been said, but if I can learn even a little bit from each post or thread......I'm in.

As FreeMe genuinely stated......thanks for your service.

Good luck............

Last edited by magnumb; 12/28/09.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First, I am no longer serving in the military, I left after a deployment to Iraq in 05-06. With almost 5 years in Iraq, I'm now employed in Afghanistan.

In one type of military service or another I've carried the M-1911, Beretta M-9, Glock-19 and the SW Sigma 9MM. I believe I am qualified as any to state an opinion with some real world experience to back up my words. All of these guns work and work well with the one exception being the SW Sigma. All it's good for is teaching malfunction drills.

Glocks are not my preferred weapon system, and neither is a 1911, but when I read how poor a pistol the Glock supposedly is , it's tough for me to be quiet. I've seen the Glock take a lot of abuse by some poorly trained troops, and still work. I've shot thousands of rounds thru a glock without cleaning, and it still worked.I like the 1911 and I have a pair including one built by Jack Maples at the AMU, and a worked over series 70 colt.They are both fine pistols, but I don't think they are the "greatest" design of all time, and I doubt that they would stand the abuse that a Glock can.

I try to limit my comments on what I have observed, or the experience that I have. If it doesn't jibe with what most of the 1911 "experts" tell me, well what can I say.

My guess is when you made a response to my earlier post you took it upon yourself to take a jab at my experience, so I responded in kind.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
First, I am no longer serving in the military, I left after a deployment to Iraq in 05-06. With almost 5 years in Iraq, I'm now employed in Afghanistan.

In one type of military service or another I've carried the M-1911, Beretta M-9, Glock-19 and the SW Sigma 9MM. I believe I am qualified as any to state an opinion with some real world experience to back up my words. All of these guns work and work well with the one exception being the SW Sigma. All it's good for is teaching malfunction drills.

Glocks are not my preferred weapon system, and neither is a 1911, but when I read how poor a pistol the Glock supposedly is , it's tough for me to be quiet. I've seen the Glock take a lot of abuse by some poorly trained troops, and still work. I've shot thousands of rounds thru a glock without cleaning, and it still worked.I like the 1911 and I have a pair including one built by Jack Maples at the AMU, and a worked over series 70 colt.They are both fine pistols, but I don't think they are the "greatest" design of all time, and I doubt that they would stand the abuse that a Glock can.

I try to limit my comment on what I have observed, or the experience that I have. If it doesn't jibe with what most of the 1911 "experts" tell me, well what can I say.

My guess is when you made a response to my earlier post you took it upon yourself to take a jab at my experience, so I responded in kind.
Glock lover or no, you can't be all bad if you're also a Doberman Pinscher lover. laugh

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good one. laugh I love the breed, is there any better dog ? Smart, good natured, and loved my kids as much as I do.
Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glocks work.

I love 1911s and when you find one that runs they are about as "shootable" as a handgun can be, IMO. That being said, there is an entire industry of gunsmiths & partsmakers who specialize in making 1911s reliable. Glocks are reliable as-issued, no "break in", no feed ramp & throat work, no spring kits, no aftermarket mags. I've fired tens of thousands of rounds though both designs and have witnessed far more.

Since we're exchanging anecdotal evidence, I've yet to see a glock "blow" but I've been in classes where numerous handguns repeatedly had reliablity issues while all of the glocks (19s), Sigs, and HKs continued to "run".

I love 1911s & own several but I trust my life to Glocks. I guess I'll take my chances with the "ka boom" that I've never seen versus the lack of reliabilty that I have seen. Feel free to carry whatever you choose.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Good one. laugh I love the breed, is there any better dog ? Smart, good natured, and loved my kids as much as I do.
Thanks.
Mine loved kids too. His ears were normal length cropped, but my nephew was squashing them down while petting him in this shot.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Caesar & Trevor.jpg (80.36 KB, 799 downloads)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very handsome dog with your Nephew.

My dog Ace with his little girl.

[Linked Image]

and Wilson.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 81 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.