Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
It appears that you are saying that power makes up for poor shooting, a theory that I do not subcribe to. In a charge the only sure stop is a Central Nervous System hit, so I don't see much difference in the ability of either to do that.

Nothing is absolute jwp, but I have to agree to a point. Point being, I recently saw a video of a gent shooting a 700 NE at an elephant. He missed the brain, the elephant buckled a bit but spun around and took off. Two more rounds finished him. I've also seen footage of elephants shot with 458s of different flavors where the brain is missed and again the shots seem to buckle them enough to slow them down and make follow ups easier. Not the case with the smaller bores. Then again I've seen perfectly brained elies fold up like a democrap on truth serum with a 375. There's a lesson in there somewhere but I do think when it comes to elephants, caliber (like bras) the bigger the better. smile jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JPK reported from his last Safari that His 458 doubled and hit the Elephant in the head but high, his PH fired for a side brain shot with his 470 Nitro the bull turned and was never recovered. All of this was captured on video. now that's 2 458 rounds and one 500 grain 470 in the head all missed the brain and no Elephant. Accuracy and shot placement is the trump card IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
"I do think that when it comes to elephant, calibers like bras the bigger the better"
Jorge I think I just [bleep] myself laughing...After my hunting party was charged by a very agitated cow elephant I purchased my 505 GIBBS!
In my limited experience the 416 Rigby is a great dangerous game caliber with a excellent balance of power/recoil/handling. I have taken 3 buffalo with my Ruger chambered in this caliber. One of my best friends sucessfully took an 80# tusker with the 416 Rigby loaded with woodleigh solids and was well satisfied with its performance.
The number of active professional hunters using this caliber( and this rifle) as their stopping rifle speaks volumes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you like it Doc smile Wow, a 505, I'm impressed! There is a guy over on AR who' killed a BUNCH of elephant and I believe his expression is "once you are amongst them there is no such thing as enough gun" and I believe him! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karamojo_Bill
Originally Posted by OZULTRA
If you go for a heart/lung shot, will the Rigby penetrate deep enough?

I saw a spitting match on AR forums about different calibers. There was a two photos that impressesd me about the .416 Rigby, (and made me confident in mine). The first photo was the rear-end of a dead elephant with a bullet hole right next to the tail. The next was a photo of the solid bullet being cut out of the tusk. The guy said it had penetrated 16' of elephant.

Right off hand, I'd say that's enough penetration....

I was going to mention that same exchange. If I can correctly recall, I believe the photo was posted by Peter V who lives in SA/Moz, has worked as a PH and is involved with the South African Big Bore Assn. The solid was buried in the base of the tusk!

405wcf

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Harry Shelby wrote that when he bought his 416 Rigby the purchase was as a stop gap until he could get another 470 Nitro, but after useing the 416 he never felt the need to replace it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.