Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Six Enterprises was Lee Six's company. All injection molded stocks are a handle at best. The original fibreglass stocks weighed in the 22 oz range. GD

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by greydog
Six Enterprises was Lee Six's company. All injection molded stocks are a handle at best. The original fibreglass stocks weighed in the 22 oz range. GD

True, the six enterprises stock is injection molded.

Guess the synthetic takeoff rem 700 injection moulded stock I used a few months ago to replace the wood adl stock on my 22-250 is fooling my action. It printed around 5/8" groups with my squirrel loads in the ADL stock, and made 2 - 1/2" 5 shot groups in the injection molded ( bedded) stock. Better not tell the gun it's got just a handle on it....... at best.

I did make sure the forearm won't touch the barrel under pressure of sandbags or a bipod.... IMHO the only issue an injection molded stock has once a good bedding job is done.

Allen whistle

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have an early Lee Six fiberglass stock I put on a Remington 721 in .280 Remington. I got it back in the late seventies or early eighties. Chet Brown had built a high country model for me on a Remington 600 action with a Shilen stainless barrel in .284 and his then new Kevlar riflestock. The Lee Six stock I have is not an injection molded stock but a laid up fiberglass stock. I don't think it is a particularly lightweight stock, but it's been so long ago since I put it together I don't recall it's weight.
One thing for sure it isn't near the featherweight Kevlar stock that Chet made for the model he called "High Country" which weighs in at under six pounds with a bushnell 2-8× compact scope aboard and when my eyes were better shot MOA with Winchester factory loads.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I was working at B.A.S.S. when boat makers started using Kevlar in hulls. I suggested to Chet that he try Kevlar. He did, but he complained that the Kevlar was hard on the shears he used for fiberglass. wink

I think that may have been the start of Kevlar stocks. Roughly 1976-77.

As I remember, Lee Six was into collecting cars, too.

I still have an early Brown Precision M70 in .25-06. Got it for my wife. She wasn’t interested. I don’t rember ever firing it.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
There were features I never saw in a Lee Six stock but did see in a Brown Precision. I never had a Lee Six stock with a large void behind the recoil lug. I never got a Lee Six stock with a flexible butt. I never got a Lee Six stock which used a hot dog wrapper as a filler in the forearm. These are all things I saw in BP stocks. No question, Lee's stocks were a bit heavier, but they were also stronger, more rigid, and better finished, out of the mold.
Lee started offering stocks with pigment in the shell around 1979. These were quite well finished out and needed very little in the way of filling.
In the early days of the 6BR ('79 as I recall), Lee's daughter, Cindy, offered formed 6 BR brass for those who wanted to pay 50 cents apiece. When you consider that the original brass started out as, essentially, 308 with a small primer pocket, forming was a chore which was certainly worth avoiding.
The last time I spoke with Lee was in the late '90's and he was in poor health at the time. He was a good guy. GD

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by greydog
There were features I never saw in a Lee Six stock but did see in a Brown Precision. I never had a Lee Six stock with a large void behind the recoil lug. I never got a Lee Six stock with a flexible butt. I never got a Lee Six stock which used a hot dog wrapper as a filler in the forearm. These are all things I saw in BP stocks. No question, Lee's stocks were a bit heavier, but they were also stronger, more rigid, and better finished, out of the mold.
Lee started offering stocks with pigment in the shell around 1979. These were quite well finished out and needed very little in the way of filling.
In the early days of the 6BR ('79 as I recall), Lee's daughter, Cindy, offered formed 6 BR brass for those who wanted to pay 50 cents apiece. When you consider that the original brass started out as, essentially, 308 with a small primer pocket, forming was a chore which was certainly worth avoiding.
The last time I spoke with Lee was in the late '90's and he was in poor health at the time. He was a good guy. GD

Funny, some people here think the BP stock is the end all fiberglass stock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.