Hop To
#3627104 12/31/09
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a chance to pick up a used VXII 3X9X33 Ultra-Light. My eyes ain't what they used to be so the 9 power is attractive to me as well as being a light weight model. I may ditch my 2X7X33 VXI in favor of it but what the heck does the EFR mean? Close range only or is the close range feature an added bonus over the standard 3X9X33 Ultra-Light? Anyone have an experiences with this model?

Thanks very much for any advise?

Harry M.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rimfire rifle? I don't think you will get an advantage over your existing scope for hunting purposes by going to the 9 power over the 7. The EFR has an adjustable objective so you can focus (adjust for parallax) for very close shots- from 10 meters to infinity. I think EFR means extended focus range, or something.

How much are they asking for the EFR? I am looking for another one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks,

No it's for a rifle. 2 extra power may help me as I need all the help I can get! If I want it's $150 to me as it's a co-worker selling it. Couple of marks on it but optics are clear.

So if something is close you can focus it like a binocular? How close?

Harry M.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That scope is designated as a rimfire scope. You can focus from 10 meters. Don't think you will need that for a centerfire rifle <grin>.

I would love to buy it for my .22 if you are not interested.

Lemme know. Thanks Harry.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...-riflescopes/vx-ii-3-9x33mm-rimfire-efr/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...flescopes/vx-ii-3-9x33mm-ultralight-efr/

Nope, it's a rifle scope, not the rim-fire.

Harry M.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can use it on whatever kinda gun you want, supposed to be one of the premier rimfire scopes though.

About the cheapest I've ever scene them sell for is 250.00, usually bring about 300.00 And trust me, I've been keeping my eyes out for a gloss and a matte one for a while now. The one for 250.00 was snatched up immediately.

If you don't want it, I'll give you a nice handling fee smile

Life is just one damned thing after another
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well my co-workers price for $150 is what peaked my interest. I just hadn't heard of this EFR thing and was curious if it was a good thing or a pain in the butt thing for an ole' deer hunter like me!

Thanks,

Harry M.

Thomas Jefferson

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Harry M
Well my co-workers price for $150 is what peaked my interest. I just hadn't heard of this EFR thing and was curious if it was a good thing or a pain in the butt thing for an ole' deer hunter like me!

Thanks,

Harry M.

A steal at that price.

And the Leupold rimfire scopes withstand the same recoil as all their other scopes, so you could mount it on your dangerous game rifle -- if you wanted to!

John

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a Leupie 3-9 EFR on my Anschutz .22 mag. It's an outstanding scope.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i agree. i have one on my 10/.22 T. those pesky gophers can show up from right at your feet out to the horizon

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The EFR is nice.
I have that on a VXIII 6.5-20X for smallbore competition(50ft)
It was the only scope I could find that would focus at that short of distance.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Harry, that scope has a short eye relief. Make sure it will work on your rifle so you don't get "scope eye". I had a 3x9EFR on my .22LR rifle. I sold it here in the classifieds. I found the adjustable objective to be a pain for my needs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I found the adjustable objective to be a pain for my needs.

Amen.
No A/O's on any hunting rifles, except for slow moving grounhog rifles grin, and for target rifles.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have "EFRs" mounted on a Kimber and a 541, both .22 rifles. I like the scopes but quite honestly, I don't adjust the A/O very often. I may use the A/O more often if I was shooting greater distances with a centerfire rifle. The Leupold sure looks good on a SuperAmerica.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DMB: Funny how folks differ!
I actually have many dozens of adjustable objective scopes on many dozens of Big Game and Varmint Hunting Rifles!
In fact I would NOT consider putting a non-adjustable objective scope on either a Big Game or a serious Varmint Hunting Rifle!
Of course my Big Game needs are often those of longer distance shooting on public lands for Elk, Mue Deer, Antelope, Black Bear and Whitetailed Deer!
And my Varmint Hunting uses often are with the need for longer range shooting also - part of this "longer range" shooting is self imposed - for instance I do not shoot at Prairie Dogs nor Rock Chucks unless they are at least 200+ yards distant!
Even at that though I can NOT see how a scope with an adjustable obejective could possibly be a "pain" in any form.
A Hunter can simply choose to set it and forget it at a particular range (as in fact the non-adjustable A/O scopes ARE!) or the experienced Hunter can take 2 seconds to change the A/O and set it for the estimated range of his quarry IF that need be done - which is exactly how I do use my A/O's.
If your quarry is "faster" than an American Antelope then again all you need do is have it pre-set for a chosen distance (I leave mine on 200 yards while Antelope Hunting) and if the Antelope is further distant then 2 seconds later it can be re-set for the estimated distance or the (in my case!) the exact Leica Lasered distance!
If said Antelope is hurrying away at a distance under 200 yards then that pre-set setting WILL accomplish what you need done.
I bought another Leupold scope just today (Butte, Montana Gunshow) and it has the adjustable objective.
In the last three Antelope Hunting seasons here in Montana I killed my Bucks at a Leica Lasered 308 yards (2,009), 508 yards (2,008) and 425 yards (2,007) - at these longer ranges the adjustable objectives doing away with the parallax is well worth the extra dollars spent on them!
AND if a person ever goes to re-sell the A/O equipped scopes they sell much quicker than Non-A/O scopes.
Best of luck with your scopes - and isn't it funny how folks differ!
I guess thats what makes the world go round?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
IMO the EFR objective is handy for a .22. Sometimes you've got gophers at 75+ and sometimes you are hunting rabbits in the trees at 10 to 20 yards. It's nice to just focus the objective at 30 yards in the bushes. Then you can set the magnification you like without it getting blurry.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/04/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.