Print Thread
Hop To
D
Docbill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am thinking about a #1 build. Who is the best Ruger #1 smith? He needs to be an accuracy nut and timely.

Thanks for your help

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
PM "Grasshopper" and "1B". Between their advise, you can't go wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carolina Precision Rifles or Mark Penrod of Penrod Precision.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by docbill
I am thinking about a #1 build. Who is the best Ruger #1 smith? He needs to be an accuracy nut and timely.

Thanks for your help

Good and Great custom gunsmiths can put a lot of appropiate adjectives in front of their names. But timely and fast are not amoung them... smile In fact, it's been my experience, that the better they are, the longer the lead time. If you want a really great job in under two years, you're dreaming, or you know something I don't.

Bricktop named the two top gunsmiths on my recommendation list.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I concur with GH. Especially so, now that the best #1 smith we knew is retired.

I have onw with Carolina precision right now. They quoted me six months at project start-up. Another two months to go.

But hell, getting it right is always better than soon.

1B

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1B (what a dumb name) who is the smith that retired?

Doug (I like the 1V much better)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hornet7722
1B (what a dumb name)

Doug

Careful how you talk about a fellow Michigander... grin

BTW: I like 1-AB better then both of the others... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

Clyde Moore has done 3 custom single shots for me. He really knows his stuff. Too bad he retired so young.

1B works for me. I own over two dozen of them including my first, a 280 Rem, which remains the finest of them all. I chose the name for its brevity and resistence to typos of which I am infinitely capable; ease of recall; descriptiveness of my primary type of gun lunacy; and flexibility. I am, variously, wunbe and oneb on other sites.

Your own handle suggets a similar form of immoderate attachment to a particular rifle model.

By the way, there used to be one hell of gun shop for custom European guns in dowtown Grand Rapids. I used to drool there on my way to the Pere Marquette for salmon and steelhead.

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1B, sorry but I have lived in GR for 12+ years and there is no gun shop in down town that I know of. The ACE store is still around and Brad's is still there turning out soso stuff. I don't know of Clyde Moore, but I have had some work done on mine by Dwight Scott and Brad. And thank you for noticing my lunacy for a certian ruger! I am thinking about having a #1 only shoot here at my place. I have a 300yd range in my back yard and might move that out to 500yds this summer. Any time you want to come to Michigan for some fishing let me know. We can get together or you can at least park the RV in my back yard. I am about 20 miles from lake michigan and about 15 miles from Newago so I am right were you would want to be. As always it's a pleasure hearing from all you guys here on the fire.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.