Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Who makes the best 416 Rigby brass. (cost not a factor)

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've had very good results with Norma. Some people insist it's too soft, but this has not been my experience - either with the 416 or the 470.

I'm up to 15 (or there abouts) reloadings with the Norma

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's no reason for the Norma brass to wear out very quickly when the .416 Rigby is loaded to original pressures.

Have used both Norma and Federal and both works well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have used Federal and Norma cases. Both are good quality but I would give the edge to Norma.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used only Jamison and have found it to be of high quality.

405wcf

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents; I posted a thread on this a while back. Given the RIDICULOUS price of Norma Brass and loaded Federal ammo, I decided to try Hornady brass and do a side-by-side comparison with Norma. In my 416 Rigby there was no difference in grouping, velocity or case life at almost 1/3 the price. Hornady's good stuff and I highly recommend it. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Norma brass needed trimming badly before using it. After that all three seem OK - but Jorge is right about the price being decissive for Hornady.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I'm using Hornady. My load work cases have as many as 4 firings thus far without need to trim or any signs of wear in any form. No need to size or trim out of the box, just start loading. I'm very pleased with the Hornady brass I've used thus far. And the price makes it that much more attractive. If Hornady wasn't available, I'd be buying Norma.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Hornady needs to be supported for its effoerts to bring manny bore back to life affordably

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
S
I wish I could support Hornady for previously offering .416 Rigby brass cases to reload, but today it's impossible to find any Hornady brass in .416 Rigby. I called Hornady and they said they can't give me a date when it "might" be made or shipped. It sounds like it could be a very long wait.

Hornady is currently running full-time making ammunition and brass products to fill all the voids where shelves have gone bare in the more common caliber offerings. Therefore, the "Big-Bore-Stuff" ...beyond .338 is not their current priority.

Try to find some .416 Rigby brass, it's all gone, and what might be still hiding out there will soon be bought up.

I'm thinking I'll have to resort to what Jack O'Connor and Harry Selby did back in the 70s; turning the belts off 460 Weatherby brass to "literally" turn it back into .416 Rigby.

If anyone knows where to find new brass ...please pass along your source, since I can't find anything by searching the normal venues and outlets online. My local sport stores don't stock .416 Rigby ...so I'm left to buying at great distances.

I have a very nice .416 Rigby Double Rifle that I still plan to use in Africa next August, so I want to stay proficient over the summer with practice. I have loaded commercial stuff that costs hundreds of dollars per 20 rounds, but for practice reloading makes more sense at $4 a shot verses $15 to $20 per trigger pull.

...Stoneman

...I spent most of my money on Guns, Women & Booze. The rest I wasted.

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Stoneman if you go to www.shootersproshop.com they have Norma .416 Rigby brass for sale.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Graff and Sons has Jamison and Norma brass in stock. No Hornady at this time.

sidepass

Last edited by sidepass; 01/10/10.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
S
Thanks ELKHUNTERNM & SIDEPASS for your courteous directions to look.

I'll look at them again. Last week these two outlets showed they have it, but when I filled the cart and went to checkout the bad news was it�s was either on back order, out of stock, or not available. Some outfits go so far as to pretend they still have it, process your order, and then put you on default back order.

I�ll be calling these brass sources tomorrow to confirm availability, first. I hope Shooter Pro Shop has NORMA in stock. Graff & Sons; when I checked last week didn�t have 416 Rigby of any type (I�ll call again). Huntington�s (California?) claims to have Jamison, but they say �* Not all these cases may be in stock,� so I�ll call them first, too.

You know that finding brass is going to be tough when Hornady, Cabela�s and Midway USA are all NO-GOs. Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) has even discontinued Jamison; due to his issues with their product quality. Case mouths out of round and the need to size and expand before using; just like Remington.

Thanks, again guys �I�ll be calling around tomorrow. I�ll post if I find some. I want to buy 100 pieces. That�s around $300+ for NORMA brass. Cost isn�t a problem, only getting something in hand is.

Easy Trails,
Stoneman

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.
S
S
Brass Search UPDATE:

Luckily, I just located and bought some bags of Jamison & Norma, I settled on buying 80 new cases and left the remainder out there for others who may need it. In a couple of weeks it will be gone. The guy at Shooter Pro Shop (Nosler) at first said it was all gone as of last week and then he went over to the shelf and found four missed bags to his total surprise.

So, here are the results:

Huntingtons has 2 bags (20 per bag) of Jamison 416 Rigby remaining, after my purchase
Huntingtons

Nosler has 2 bags (20 per bag) of Norma 416 Rigby brass remaining, after my purchase.
Shooter Pro Shop - NOSLER

Graf & Sons (Missouri) 1-800-531-2666; has nothing in 416 Rigby brass � All Out of Stock

Beyond these contacts, I called about a dozen other minor vendors � All were �Out of Stock� in all brands of 416 Rigby brass.

FYI: All sources do not know when to expect re-supplies of any brands. Hornady 416 Rigby brass is especially completely gone everywhere and is unattainable.

I�m glad I found some for my needs, thanks guys for all the help. Nevertheless, finding brass in the near future looks really bad.

�Stoneman

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Norma has been perfect for me. been shootin it in 416 rigby for about 15 yrs.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
sorry i had to wait till my buddy got his ordered:( have your local dealer check out accusport. they "had" 22 in stock of the hornady. he bought 10. not sure how much retail is, just cost. i'd guess 35-40 bucks.

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope Stoneman is wrong about Graf's inventory. A PH friend from Africa was with me this weekend and I let him have the last 60 unfired Jamison cases I had. Graf's website shows both Jamison and Norma in stock. I just ordered 60 Jamison for replacement. We shall see what happens.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
UPDATE

I just spoke (4:31PM EST) with Graf's and they say they have "plenty" of both Jamison and Norma 416 Rigby brass.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have tried Norma, Hornady and Jamison. The Norma is easily the best. The Hornady is very good for the price. The Jamison doesn't have a chamfer on the case rim. Most bolt guns won't pick it up out of the magazine. In a Ruger #1 or Encore the Jamison works fine. reflex264

Last edited by reflex264; 02/04/10.

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like Graf & Sons has Jamison in stock.

Last edited by sambo3006; 04/03/10. Reason: sold brass

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think the coolest would be Kynoch brass. However, at ten dollars a round...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.