Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do hunt an area with low deer density in MI.

If it starts feeling like punishment, I go to a new spots to still hunt or scout, and cut lanes/trails for next year.

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by Youper
Even when the hunting is good I can only stay focused for a week or a little more. If I'm still out hunting after that, then what I'm doing is a lot more like sight-seeing.

That's right. I felt like an armed hiker after a while.

Thanks everyone. Looks like a long drive next season anyway. Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife estimates the deer density at <0.5 deer per square mile down from 2-5 several years ago. Less than 90 deer were tagged in over 3.5 million acres. Less than 150 in the county I live in.

However, I figure I can't kill a buck from my couch.

Congrats on the nice moose. Those stats are interesting and I find it somewhat surprising a season is even held with so few deer. But I guess when numbers are that low, you can't really harm the population much anyway.

J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks again everyone. I know I'm going to have to travel long distances to the south for good deer hunting in the future. IF&W has pretty much written off the deer herd in the northern half of the state.

I suspect we will see some major changes in 2010.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JDK
Thanks again everyone. I know I'm going to have to travel long distances to the south for good deer hunting in the future. IF&W has pretty much written off the deer herd in the northern half of the state.

I have met a number of Maine hunters who come down here to to eastern NC to fill up freezers each year. One pair of Maine-iacs even had a freezer in the back of their pick-up - pulled an extension cord into their motel room each night when traveling home! We have lots of does to bust down east, it is no problem finding them to hunt.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Help me out here: How come Northern Maine has so few deer? I'd think the place would be crawling with them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Odessa
Originally Posted by JDK

I have met a number of Maine hunters who come down here to to eastern NC to fill up freezers each year. One pair of Maine-iacs even had a freezer in the back of their pick-up - pulled an extension cord into their motel room each night when traveling home! We have lots of does to bust down east, it is no problem finding them to hunt.

Now thats funny, but smart

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shaman
Help me out here: How come Northern Maine has so few deer? I'd think the place would be crawling with them.

I think this sums it up nicely.

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2009/12/10/maine-hunters-are-mad-and-justly-so-for-many-reasons/

Last edited by JDK; 01/03/10.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I hunt a couple of areas with low deer densities and low kills.
Rule No. One is to find the deer, or the bucks, depending on what you are hunting. Most of the range will have almost no deer in it. When you find where they are, you hunt there. Or, put another way, inside what you think is their home range.
The way I find them is to look for tracks and pellets. No fresh sign, no deer. Doesn't matter what else is there or how you feel. No fresh sign, no deer.
Biggest mistake you can make is hunt areas w/o deer. That may mean you'll have to coiver lots of ground looking for them, but that's why it's called hunting......
Be warned that they will change their habits with the opening of the season. But if the pressure drops off, they may revert back to where they were and how they moved.
Frankly, I'd much rather hunt very low density areas with a couple of exceptional bucks in it than an area with with lots of deer but very few bucks over 2 yrs. of age. The presence of an exceptional buck can keep me coming back for a very long time. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 01/03/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i don't worry too much about staying focused. if i get comfortable and sleepy, i take a nap. if i get bored, i go for a hike (if i can do so without messing up somebody else's hunt). sometimes i carry a book.

it's just not always that important for me to kill something. it's important for me to get out of the house, in the woods, or to the cabin. sometimes hunting is just a great excuse to do that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JDK

I think this sums it up nicely.

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2009/12/10/maine-hunters-are-mad-and-justly-so-for-many-reasons/[/quote]

For any Pa. guys/girls out there you should read this. We are just a few years away from the same situation and in many parts of the state we are there.

Many of the same issues, a Game Commission that is no longer independent of politicians, a GC who is increasingly concerned with non-hunting non-consumptive users. Game Wardens whose background does not always come from hunting. One who is financially strapped for reasons that are not hunting related.

We also have a growing coyote and bear problem which is elevated by hunters who continue to shoot does which are becoming dramatically fewer in number especially in our Northern tier.

I'm concerned that the same my be occurring here.

Last edited by battue; 01/03/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the glory days of hunting in the lower 48 in general ARE GONE. While there are a few good pockets left overall hunting is in a state of decline for some obvious reasons.Loss of habitat, over hunting, bad weather(global warming my a#$)predation, unsound management( imagine the government screwing something up). I have heard this same story from friends all over the country. regrettably the current hunting population is going to have to make some sacrifice in order to provide a future for those coming up. And the powers to be need to make some policy changes , When i was younger I never would have supported limited seasons or areas closed off all together. However , I am beginning to see the future.... and it does not look good. I am watching hunting becoming the privilege of the wealthy, we are getting back to the days of the "kings" animals. sad.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of things have changed. Posted and leased land-I'm on a lease out of necessity-have made it difficult for many who don't live close to public hunting land to easily have a place to hunt. When we were kids and finally were cut loose we didn't have a problem finding a place to hunt. Today most kids have to make a big effort to find a place to go. They are the future and if it becomes that big of a hardship they will find something else to do.

Then we are our own worst enemy. i.e. I've got my place, the hell with you and your kids. The hunting channel has not done us any favors. I don't care what PR good feel shows they throw at us, in the long run they have a negative impact on the future of hunting by emphasizing big Bucks and purely trophy hunting. Oh they will talk about culling smaller bucks for the better of the herd. However many think they are going to make their farm, woodlot, etc another Bucks of Tecamate and the heck with the future of the sport.

It's the death of a thousand cuts.

Last edited by battue; 01/03/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I know what you mean. Been hunting Maine for many years. What works for me as a still hunter is I try to mix up locations and terrain almost every day unless I'm cutting some big tracks and I can stay on them.

Do you use many maps? Maybe you can pinpoint some natural funnels, or some other feature that might help reduce the area they travel. Hope that helps.

CLB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my favorite ways to hunt blacktails is still-hunting; just moving very slooowwwlllly through productive areas, glassing with my binoc's, etc.

If I'm not seeing anything, it can get very difficult to stay focused, especially after a few days... and if you aren't focused, then still-hunting is worse than a waste of time; it's actually HURTING the area.

JDK, for what it's worth, wildswalker lives and hunts in a VERY high density deer area. Can't see how that applies to hunting a very low-density area- at least when it comes to busting balls on the low-density hunter!! He's just being an a-hole.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Jeff

Everyone contributes something. Like I said in another post, I'll listen to anyone that consistantly kills mature deer legally.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

JDK, for what it's worth, wildswalker lives and hunts in a VERY high density deer area. Can't see how that applies to hunting a very low-density area- at least when it comes to busting balls on the low-density hunter!! He's just being an a-hole.

You might note J.O. that I'm not the one of us who has entire threads, on multiple websites, dedicated to my rampant incurable dumbphuckitude.....

You easily assume I know nothing about a low density area, or ever hunted one...whatever floats your boat, but you're wrong.

You easily assume that it's hard to hunt such...simply because you can't, and that much is beyond obvious.

Not surprised turning a tag into a dead animal baffles you.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WW,

Why don't you cop to the state and unit you hunt? You know... the one that you get tons of tags for... the one where you and your sons stack so many deer in the freezer... the place with no meadows, only pastures... you know the one! THAT one!

Where is that, more or less? Let's look deer density numbers, shall we? And success rates? My Google-fu is up to it. Cough it up.

The state of Oregon has issued me 24 deer tags. I've turned 22 of those into dead deer. And one of the ones I didn't fill, I didn't bother hunting because I had so much elk in the freezer.

I've failed to fill (1) tag that I wanted to fill.

Some of my deer hunting has been in an area of relatively high deer density. Some of it hasn't. Hint. I've tagged out in the low-density areas, too.

I'm not claiming to be an uber-hunter (that'd be YOU), I get my deer through sheer stubborness half the time. But to hear YOU lecturing guys on how to hunt low-density areas is a laugher.

As to threads on websites... you mean like the website that banned me when I showed up to fight back a little? In like two hours? That one? That chicken$hit site, where there's an 87-page thread dedicated to bashing on people, but if a person bashes back, they get banned? That's the place you are so proud of?

Laffin'.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Handing out specific AO's via open forum on the www is what dumbphucks do, figured you being such an Old Wise Man would already know that......my bad.

It matters not where I live....but where I hunt, and where I have hunted in the decades past. I've lived, and hunted, in a LOT of places, and for more than a few decades.

My assessment of your skewed assumption still stands..........

So your infinite wisdom is based on 22 deer huh.....funny, I recall when you signed on here acting all timid and hunter dumb, seeking advice, claiming to have only a handful of kills under your belt, and THAT included an ass shot or two. Now you are an expert.

You've come a heap big way in three years, ain't ya..........

I hunt via entering a critter's habitat with the wind in MY face, seeking him out, and killing him....fairly simple equation that never don't work, ANYWHERE.

It matter's not how many of "him" there are as a single tag is only valid for a single animal. Always figured it wasn't that hard finding one single deer to kill or 22, such defines a hunter from a do nothing bitch.

I'll give you much credit though, for the Gift of Gab, hands down, you got that in spades..............

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jeff,
I live in the same "unit" as WW. There are deer here but we don't rank anywhere near the top 20 in the state. I'm not sure what the success rate is and don't care. It's the same people who kill the deer year in and year out.
I hunt via entering a critter's habitat with the wind in MY face, seeking him out, and killing him....fairly simple equation that never don't work, ANYWHERE.

There is much wisdom in this quote. There are very few that live or hunt here that have the success of WW and family. Some people know what they're doing but most don't.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Marc...

Lunch is on me next week, my turn to buy.

Mid week, you pick the day........

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.