-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Contemplating a Swaro and have been looking at the various reticles, and Swaro's ballistics calculator.

The BRX reticle has 5 additional reticles in addition to the 'main' reticle. Each of these lower reticles gets progressively wider the further below the main reticle it sits. I understand the function of these 'sub-reticles', but what I have yet to determine is whether or not there is significance in the width of these 'sub-reticles' AND the outside verticals associated with them.

Can someone explain? I searched swaro's sight from top to bottom and have yet to find an explanation for the increasing width of the sub-reticles and the verticals that intersect them.

Thanks

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMHO the one with the increasing widths is far more desireable, unfortunately it doesn't come on the Z-6's on the Z-5's.

The width of the bars is to give you an aimpoint for IIRC a 10mph crosswind (that's what they were on a TDS). The Ballistic calculator will let you figure the exact ranges for each bar for your specific loads. It's a nice system............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The width of the bars is to give you an aimpoint for IIRC a 10mph crosswind (that's what they were on a TDS)

I had somewhat suspected that the intersection of the sub-reticle and it's respective vertical where for wind correction. Just wanted someone to confirm or point me in a direction that would confirm my suspicion. Maybe others will chime in and confirm/deny.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They ARE for wind correction. I went and looked on the Swaro site and couldn't find where it gave the exact drift values and subtensions for the BRX. The ballistic calculators just gave the drop figures.

If you have one mounted go to a range and put up a target with 1" grids at 100yds and record the width in inches of the horizontal bars. Find a ballistic program with wind drift in MOA and right down the figures for each bars subtension.

A bit of work but it would be worth it to have the exact figures for the round you are shooting......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
U may be able to call the company too to get that information. My Leupold Varmint Hunters reticle is also like that...a "tree reticle" system, that is, as well as several others i use. The 450-yd. trajectory of this rig/load hits the VH reticle at 2.8 vertical units below X. and the 10 mph wind calcs out at only 60% of the factory 10 mph windage subtension for the line stadia above the vertical zero for that range. My entry on my dope sticker would look like this--450-2.8-.6. See how it works? As far as i can tell this is the most accurate system of application for BDC-type reticles if using them at the optic's highest power--
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 76 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.