24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess I don't know why anybody would want to mess with a tack driver....changes that would end up costing several 100 dollars or more, might screw up the rifle, would certainly decrease Fps and increase muzzle blast and kill the rifles value as a "stock" 700. Can anyone "splain" that to me?

What lives in AR that a 7mm08 or 308 won't hammer down?
The Marlin XS (cheap) or the Kimber 84 (expensive) are both available in those calibers and quite light.

That way you'll still have the big 7 for when you come to hunt Elk out our way. (We ride horses, so rifle weight is a non event).

3" at 300 with blue box ammo? I'd be down kissing that rifle's butt(plate)!

Think long and hard before messing with a winner.

BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Last Walmart ADL in 7 Rem Mag I owned 26" barrel came out to exactly 7 lbs on my postal scale. I don't want a 7mm REm mag lighter then that...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tomk
Casey, thou art a true dyed-in-the-wool 270 slut...:)

there is no redemption for hijacking...

Casey: would like to add that maybe there is a degree of redemption considering the post directly below

grin Guilty!

I would think twice about messing with a tackdriver too. If it was too heavy (and anything approaching 8 lbs is too heavy for me to take hunting on any hunt I'm halfway serious about), I would find that to be the perfect excuse to buy a........lightweight 270!

I have a 243 that I did a rather ugly bedding job on--but it shoots so well I'm scared to re-bed it.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Given equal barrel length, and shooting bullets of equal Sd, there is essentially no diff between a 270 and 7mmRM.

Now you know who not to listen to.

Next thing you know he'll be trying to sell you a 243. sick

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Given equal barrel length, and shooting bullets of equal Sd, there is essentially no diff between a 270 and 7mmRM.

Now you know who not to listen to.

Next thing you know he'll be trying to sell you a 243. sick

Well, so far a 243 kills the elk about as dead as other cartridges do... wink

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Good luck with that . . . . cause one day it won't.

Then you'll be wishin you brought the right tool for the job.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Good luck with that . . . . cause one day it won't.

Then you'll be wishin you brought the right tool for the job.

When everything else is equal, there ain't enough diff ballistically between the 270 and 7RM. Even less when considering its effectiveness on deer and elk....

I've killed more elk than most, and I know what a 243 will do and won't do--when anything else in needed, I'll just grab my 7RM masquerading as a 270.. smirk

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi ,I see i have had a lot or replies and advice and I appreciate all of it ! I am going to ponder on this awhile as on the one hand I would like a lighter rifle yet on the other hand as oldman pointed out I do hate to mess with such an accurate rifle .And yes Oldman I do believe a 7mm-08 or 308 will kill deer in Arkansas as i have killed a lot of deer in my 50 years with calibers 30 carbine,270,25-06,30-06, 300 weatherby,muzzleloaders ,44 magnum (handgun hunted exclusively for 12 years) and homemade bows and arrows made from hickory. but that was when I lived within 15 munutes from my hunting area and if i didn,t get a deer that day or it was too far i just went back the next day!! now I live about 1 1/2 hours from hunting spot and dont get to go as much so I want a flat a shooting rifle as i can get and still handle the recoil which is what the 7mm rem mag does for me . Also rangefinders dont work too well for me in the field as often as not I cant find a landmark to range ! You see I hunt not only in the woods but also over large cutover ricefields with shot oppertunities at over 400 yards being very frequent. so way I fiI gure it a 7mm mag will handle the 30 yard shots in the woods and the 400 plus yard shots in the fields with more leeway for error when unable to use a rangefinder. I can find reasonably priced ammo at wally world without ordering it online. and it wont kick me out from under my hat ! I figure it is the best comprmise for deer when all the variables are factored in. I realize that the smaller catridges will do the trick for probably most of my hunting but I have no problem with the 7 mags recoil so why not go for more performance !may have inadvertantly misled about how the rifle shoots as The 3 inch and under groups wre shot with Federal Premium 150 ballistic tips and not the Federal blue box which it will put into bout 4 1/4 inches/ My intent was to say that I could find reasonably priced ammo that was on par with and slightly better performing than premium ammo from the 270,30-06 etc. and cost less than the premium ammo from these catridges. Could I get by without a lighter weight 7mm Remington mag ? well sure I could ! but I suppose i am like the rest of the gun cranks here ,always looking for something that better suits my wants and needs ! or at least what I percieve as needs !! LOL plus I really like talking guns and rifles especially !! I really appreciate all the responces and replies and I will get the perfect rifle oneday !!! Yeah right ,LOL Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I certainly employ my 7 for killing deer in those wide open places I get to every now and again...no excuses ever needed.

And thanks to Casey helping us out, am glad to learn that the 7RM is, by reason of comparison, a "damned adaquate coyote rifle".

Saves me from having to trash up my gun case just to fight the yote infestation...:)

Defend the Constitution
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've killed more elk than most, and I know what a 243 will do and won't do--when anything else in needed, I'll just grab . . . .

So what do you grab for when the 243 is in your hands and you figure out that it "won't do" the job. Your dick?

When everything else is equal, there ain't enough diff ballistically between the 270 and 7RM

Bullet selection, bullet weight, bore size, and case capacity all in the 7 mags favor. Sure the 270 is good . . . just not as good.

Why grab the 7RM over the 270? For the same reasons you grab the 270 over the 243.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a sps .300 WM I got from close to 9 pounds to around 8 (or a little less). I did this by:

1. tossing dual dovetails and switching to Talley lightweights
2. Getting rid of Zeiss Conquest and going to a 6x36 Luepold
3. Cutting the barrel to 24"

The gun handled much better after these changes. It wasn't much over 8 with a lightweigt sling and 3 rounds. A lighter stock (i.e. Bansner High Tech, McMillan Edge, etc.). with these changes could get you to a nice weight. I am thinking it wouldn't be much over 7.75 pounds plus sling/ammo.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

So what do you grab for when the 243 is in your hands and you figure out that it "won't do" the job. Your dick?

Are you kidding?--that would be like shooting a jackrabbit with a 458WM.... wink

Bullet selection, bullet weight, bore size, and case capacity all in the 7 mags favor. Sure the 270 is good . . . just not as good.

Why grab the 7RM over the 270? For the same reasons you grab the 270 over the 243.

I wouldn't grab a 7RM over a 270--there's no difference, well, except for less recoil, a bit less muzzle blast, etc..........although when camparing the same Sd in the two calibers, there is a bit more mass in favor of the 7mm bore.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bwinters:

Rifle is an ADL.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There is no replacement for displacement.

Case capacity grains water:

243 54gr.
270 68gr.
7RM 84gr.

The 270 is what I grab when you grab your 243.

(Not really. I grab a 280 because it's just a little better). grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Guess I don't know why anybody would want to mess with a tack driver....changes that would end up costing several 100 dollars or more, might screw up the rifle, would certainly decrease Fps and increase muzzle blast and kill the rifles value as a "stock" 700. Can anyone "splain" that to me?

What lives in AR that a 7mm08 or 308 won't hammer down?
The Marlin XS (cheap) or the Kimber 84 (expensive) are both available in those calibers and quite light.

That way you'll still have the big 7 for when you come to hunt Elk out our way. (We ride horses, so rifle weight is a non event).

3" at 300 with blue box ammo? I'd be down kissing that rifle's butt(plate)!

Think long and hard before messing with a winner.

A guy could publish a book or two with tales of your idiocy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There is no replacement for displacement.

Case capacity grains water:

243 54gr.
270 68gr.
7RM 84gr.

But compression can go a long ways towards equalizing things.

The 270 operates at higher pressures.

And when comparing equal barrel lengths, and equal Sd of bullets, there still ain't much difference between the 270 and 7mmRM...........

The 270 is what I grab when you grab your 243.

(Not really. I grab a 280 because it's just a little better). grin

Aww man, now yer' digging a deeper hole--a 280 is the wanna-be 270.....sheesh.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very cute you 270 guys. You have all of the rationalizations and Clinton-esque talking points down pat.

The 270 operates at higher pressures.

Maybe according to SAAMI, but there is no physical reason why it should, and it doesn't in my rifles.

And when comparing equal barrel lengths

Why would I want to saddle a large case with a barrel length appropriate for a smaller one?

and equal Sd of bullets

So the 7RM is shooting a heavier bullet for your comparison, right?

Aww man, now yer' digging a deeper hole--a 280 is the wanna-be 270.....sheesh

With a bit more case capacity, better bullet selection, and a slightly larger bore, it is truly the 270 Improved. grin

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. I'd send it to Kampfeld for:
A. Cut a few inches off the bbl.
B. Flute the bolt.
C. Skeletonize the bolt.
D. Maybe flute bbl???

2. I'd drop it in a Ti stock.

3. Talley light weights.

4. Kill lots of stuff!!!!!!

-Roger

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cute you 270 guys. You have all of the rationalizations and Clinton-esque talking points down pat.

Think of it as the Voice Of Experience, it works better that way....... whistle

Maybe according to SAAMI, but there is no physical reason why it should, and it doesn't in my rifles.

Oh yes there is--SAMMI doesn't test and publish pressures on a whim. Think pressure spikes, pressure variation.......besides, if I chose to run a 270 ten percent over max pressure vs a 280, we'd be right back where we started.......

Why would I want to saddle a large case with a barrel length appropriate for a smaller one?

You're right, the 7mmRM needs a long barrel more than a 270--another reason I like 270's for hunting in the high country (and as I get older too cry )

So the 7RM is shooting a heavier bullet for your comparison, right?

Yes, 10-15 grains heavier--advantage to the 7mm's.

With a bit more case capacity, better bullet selection, and a slightly larger bore, it is truly the 270 Improved. grin

Versus the 7RM, the 270 has less recoil, less muzzle blast, 22 inch bbls are optimum for lightweight mountain rigs, kills elk with aplomb, and same ballistics--it is simply more......elegant.

As for the 280, well, it continues to strive mightily in the shadow of its older and wiser brother........... smile

But I have to admit I am eyeballing a NIB M700 LSS in 280 if I can get it cheap enough.....

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Once a thread has the useful information out of the way, it pretty much deteriorates into this...:)

Well Casey, just get a 280AI and you will have SAAMI on your side.

I would think that would appeal to you---Monica certainly has a bit more displacement.

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,669
Posts18,399,400
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.