Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kpyoung Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I was walking my lab last night (smoking a fine Padron and sipping on Canadian whiskey) when I started wondering if there was such a thing as a modern day �Mountain Man�.

Now I know there are people who live in remote cabins year round, isolated from most human contact, but that is not what I am referencing here.

The �Mountain Man� I am envisioning heads into the wilderness for months at a time living only off what he is able to pack in via horseback or some type pack animal. The �Mountain Man� will remain in the wilderness, sleeping in a tent or bivy and only come out of the wilds when forced to by severe winter weather. Once winter weather is over he heads back into the wilderness.

Do you believe there are any individuals in the U.S. or Canada who actually do this?

I would like to meet such a man and buy him a drink.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jeremiah Johnson - Some say he's out there still.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Maybe in Canada. There's not many places left in the lower 48 that you wouldn't get arrested for tresspassing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I believe a true mountain man would not move into town in the winter. It seems what you are describing is a "hermit" rather than a "mountain man". Google "Noha John Rondeau" sometime to read about a true Adriondack hermit. He led quite the life. Very interesting fellow. Always a step ahead of the Game Wardens too.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew a guy named Gene Alford from Idaho who used to pack into the Selway river country and spend the winters hunting Cougar. He spent a lot of time in the Idaho back country packing, hunting and fishing. He passed away a couple of years ago. I think he still holds the BC #2 Cougar.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fred Rungee-

He goes out to visit one of his nieces in CT during part of the winter.

Otherwise, 84 years old ex-concert pianist who played at Carnegie hall from NYC lives on Lake Loraine. He got tired of the city life and came to Alaska. He taught Duncan Gilchrist how to hunt and survive in the backcountry. Dunc has since passed on to the sheep camp in the sky. Fred worked for the forest service for 20+ years. He lives on his homestead 4 miles off of the highway near Slana. Fred has been formally adopted by the Mentasta Tribe. He has been mauled three times. He carries a pre-Model 70 338 Win mag Alaskan that he bought new.

He has a huge two-story house on a lake with his piano that he pulled over the mountain on a skid. He packed his propane stove(+200lbs) over the mountain on a packboard when he was 65 years old.
BTW he probably weighed 160lbs wet when he did it.

Fred is entirely old school throwback.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/07/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No internet connection up in the hills.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kpyoung
I was walking my lab last night (smoking a fine Padron and sipping on Canadian whiskey) when I started wondering if there was such a thing as a modern day �Mountain Man�.

Now I know there are people who live in remote cabins year round, isolated from most human contact, but that is not what I am referencing here.

The �Mountain Man� I am envisioning heads into the wilderness for months at a time living only off what he is able to pack in via horseback or some type pack animal. The �Mountain Man� will remain in the wilderness, sleeping in a tent or bivy and only come out of the wilds when forced to by severe winter weather. Once winter weather is over he heads back into the wilderness.

Do you believe there are any individuals in the U.S. or Canada who actually do this?

Google "Claude Dallas". I don't think they allow alcoholic beverages in the Federal Slammer though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Google "Claude Dallas". I don't think they allow alcoholic beverages in the Federal Slammer though.

grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Claude's not in the slammer anymore.

I'm not sure she qualifies for what you are asking about, but there is a lady in the Thorofare country that spends most of the summer in there with only a backpack. I see her once or twice a year along the trail. She usually steps out of the trees onto the trail to talk. Usually the horse or dog picks up on something and then there she is. From what I can gather she only goes out to get a few supplies or for winter.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mountain men were, for the most part, trappers. They were trying to make a living. Mountain men today would be trying to escape.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by kpyoung

Yes!!!!
We have one on here..

He goes by the Handle Lee24.

Give him a shout.

He's awesome!

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Years ago one of the better known outdoor mags ran an article on an older man in Idaho who lived out in a wilderness area most of the year in a cabin by a river. Tourists floating the river would stop to chat with him. I think the article said he used a Hawken type of rifle also; and made a lot of his stuff for living. This was years ago though; like 35 yrs. ago or more.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bill Wharton,Speculator,NY,check the NYS guide website,he is a true MT. Man.
VN vet,gave up a big bucks job in the 70's to go live the old way.he is my uncles best friend and one of the few people I would trust with the lives of my children.
he's forgotten more about living in the woods than I'll ever know.
I know that isn't much of an endorsement coming from a NJ guy,but I've followed him in the Mts. since I was a kid and he always amazed me,any guy that can out hike a 14 YO kid while smoking an Old Gold and smell bear is a high ranking Mt Man IMHO.
he holds the state record for Black Bear,over 700 lbs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Qtip
Years ago one of the better known outdoor mags ran an article on an older man in Idaho who lived out in a wilderness area most of the year in a cabin by a river. Tourists floating the river would stop to chat with him. I think the article said he used a Hawken type of rifle also; and made a lot of his stuff for living. This was years ago though; like 35 yrs. ago or more.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Sylvan Hart, Backeddy Books published a book on him, called "Last of the Mountain Men", good read.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In one word, the best.

BIGFOOT

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My wife's uncle would have qualified a few years back.

He basically lived entirely off the land for 3 straight years. Made his own clothes, tanned his hides, panned for gold, made his own knives, possibles bags, you name it.

He's the real deal, though he found a crazy squaw, got her pregnant, moved to town, crazy squaw left him with child and now he's running heavy equipment for the state. Remarried and seems to be pretty content, though he misses the life he says.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmiller
Maybe in Canada. There's not many places left in the lower 48 that you wouldn't get arrested for tresspassing.

Three words....

Bob Marshall Wilderness

I've been thinking about the Bob Option lately wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You gonna team up with Bigfoot?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by gmiller

Three words....

Bob Marshall Wilderness

I often day dream of "The BOB" . I have a uncle that guides up there. He is in camp 6 months out of the year.

I've been thinking about the Bob Option lately wink

What's "Crackin" Yo ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
488 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.