Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3651533 - 01/07/10 07:46 AM Modern day "Mountain Man"
kpyoung Offline

Loc: Albertville, AL
I was walking my lab last night (smoking a fine Padron and sipping on Canadian whiskey) when I started wondering if there was such a thing as a modern day “Mountain Man”.

Now I know there are people who live in remote cabins year round, isolated from most human contact, but that is not what I am referencing here.

The “Mountain Man” I am envisioning heads into the wilderness for months at a time living only off what he is able to pack in via horseback or some type pack animal. The “Mountain Man” will remain in the wilderness, sleeping in a tent or bivy and only come out of the wilds when forced to by severe winter weather. Once winter weather is over he heads back into the wilderness.

Do you believe there are any individuals in the U.S. or Canada who actually do this?

I would like to meet such a man and buy him a drink.

CI16728
#3651565 - 01/07/10 07:56 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: kpyoung]
RS308MX Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Saratoga County, NY
Jeremiah Johnson - Some say he's out there still.

#3651576 - 01/07/10 07:59 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: RS308MX]
gmiller Offline

Loc: Charlotte,NC
Maybe in Canada. There's not many places left in the lower 48 that you wouldn't get arrested for tresspassing.

#3651592 - 01/07/10 08:05 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: RS308MX]
RS308MX Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Saratoga County, NY
I believe a true mountain man would not move into town in the winter. It seems what you are describing is a "hermit" rather than a "mountain man". Google "Noha John Rondeau" sometime to read about a true Adriondack hermit. He led quite the life. Very interesting fellow. Always a step ahead of the Game Wardens too.

#3651613 - 01/07/10 08:14 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: kpyoung]
Whitebird Online   content
Campfire Regular

I knew a guy named Gene Alford from Idaho who used to pack into the Selway river country and spend the winters hunting Cougar. He spent a lot of time in the Idaho back country packing, hunting and fishing. He passed away a couple of years ago. I think he still holds the BC #2 Cougar.

#3651663 - 01/07/10 08:30 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: kpyoung]
kaboku68 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alaska
Fred Rungee-

He goes out to visit one of his nieces in CT during part of the winter.

Otherwise, 84 years old ex-concert pianist who played at Carnegie hall from NYC lives on Lake Loraine. He got tired of the city life and came to Alaska. He taught Duncan Gilchrist how to hunt and survive in the backcountry. Dunc has since passed on to the sheep camp in the sky. Fred worked for the forest service for 20+ years. He lives on his homestead 4 miles off of the highway near Slana. Fred has been formally adopted by the Mentasta Tribe. He has been mauled three times. He carries a pre-Model 70 338 Win mag Alaskan that he bought new.

He has a huge two-story house on a lake with his piano that he pulled over the mountain on a skid. He packed his propane stove(+200lbs) over the mountain on a packboard when he was 65 years old.
BTW he probably weighed 160lbs wet when he did it.

Fred is entirely old school throwback.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Edited by kaboku68 (01/07/10 08:32 AM)

#3651673 - 01/07/10 08:32 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: Whitebird]
Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Goliad, TX
No internet connection up in the hills.

Alan

#3651693 - 01/07/10 08:37 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: kpyoung]
EthanEdwards Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Oklahoma-Kansas-Missouri
Originally Posted By: kpyoung
I was walking my lab last night (smoking a fine Padron and sipping on Canadian whiskey) when I started wondering if there was such a thing as a modern day “Mountain Man”.

Now I know there are people who live in remote cabins year round, isolated from most human contact, but that is not what I am referencing here.

The “Mountain Man” I am envisioning heads into the wilderness for months at a time living only off what he is able to pack in via horseback or some type pack animal. The “Mountain Man” will remain in the wilderness, sleeping in a tent or bivy and only come out of the wilds when forced to by severe winter weather. Once winter weather is over he heads back into the wilderness.

Do you believe there are any individuals in the U.S. or Canada who actually do this?

I would like to meet such a man and buy him a drink.

Google "Claude Dallas". I don't think they allow alcoholic beverages in the Federal Slammer though.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#3651753 - 01/07/10 08:57 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: EthanEdwards]
alpinecrick Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Western Slope of Colorado
Originally Posted By: ColeYounger

Google "Claude Dallas". I don't think they allow alcoholic beverages in the Federal Slammer though.

grin

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...

#3651805 - 01/07/10 09:13 AM Re: Modern day "Mountain Man" [Re: alpinecrick]
Ralphie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: NW Wyoming
Claude's not in the slammer anymore.

I'm not sure she qualifies for what you are asking about, but there is a lady in the Thorofare country that spends most of the summer in there with only a backpack. I see her once or twice a year along the trail. She usually steps out of the trees onto the trail to talk. Usually the horse or dog picks up on something and then there she is. From what I can gather she only goes out to get a few supplies or for winter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
747 registered (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 12savage, 1234, 80 invisible), 1515 Guests and 315 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51381 Members
72 Forums
652639 Topics
9384383 Posts

Max Online: 4830 @ 12/01/14 06:45 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 0„8 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.