24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From time to time there are references to the Ruger M77 in 7X57 caliber having a long throat and some indicate it as a negative. I assume Ruger built these rifles to SAAMI specs. Other manufacturers such as Winchester and Remington for example...would'nt they have built their rifles to the same SAAMI specs?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My M93 Spanish Mauser in 7x57 has a long throat for undoubtably the long 175 gr Rn bullets used in it. The M77 Ruger 7x57 I bought new in the box in 1976 and made in 72 has a long throat. Not been an issue for me, both guns will shoot tolerably well with 139 gr Hornady flat based Spire pts,140 gr Nosler Partitions,154 gr Hornady Spire pts and RN's. Never had to use anything else to get the job done.For a long time back then, WW and RP factory loads featured only the 175 RN. Federal offered the 139 gr Sire Pt as well as heavier loads. Luck to you. Magnum_Man

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
There were some early rifles which were made in the 70's I believe which had long and large diameter throats. Norma 205 powder was available. It allowed for high load density. Some of those rifles were loaded to very high pressures and predicably gave very high velocities. One fellow I knew got 3140 with the original 140 Nosler partitions. Probably not too good of an idea then or now.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I fully understand the reason Ruger, Winchester, Remington, etc., built the rifles with a throat to accomodate ammunition loaded with the 175 grain bullet and I do not necessarily view it as a negative. As a hunting rifle I seat the the bullets in the case to achieve an C.O.A.L. that will fit in the magazine or just off the lands...which ever applies. In all cases

In addition, my Uncle and Nephew have a Remington 700 BDL and Model 70 respectively. Inverted bullets in cases indicated the following dimensions:
Overall case and bullet length
Ruger - 2.572"

Remington - 2.512"

Winchester - 2.675"

An amigo has a Winchester M70 measuring 2.820"

The 7MM certainly has not been the easiest to load for accuracy, but with persistence it can be achieved.

There are always surprises...the Ruger with a 1 - 8 3/4" twist shoots the 115gr. Speer hollow point like a sub-MOA varmint gun, which blows some theories that light-weight bullets will not shoot well in the 7MM. 48.5gr IMR4320 at 3100fps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard the same about Ruger 7x57s, however, I have had several different rifle makes and caliber combos that had very long throats. Most of them have ended up shooting very well and some exceptionally well.

Lou

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A few guys at our club had these long-throat 7x57's....IIRC these also coincided with the use of the infamous subcontractor barrels.I had a couple in 257 Roberts.....they were one load rifles.

These 7x57's drove some of the guys nuts,as the only thing predictable about them were how unpredictable they were...mostly they struggled and came up with one or two loads that shot well;and it was not always the long bullets...things like 130 gr Speers sometimes shot,despite having to take a long jump to the lands....a guy just never knew.

I watched, listened,and stayed away from them smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one new in about '90. Dunno if it was one of "the" long throat jobbies, but it did have an extremely long throat. I forget just how far I had to seat out the 140's but there wasn't much bullet left in the case.

I also can't forget however, that I could load about any medium burning powder (IMR and H 4350, 4064, 3031, H414, 4895, you name it) in there with 140 grainers and they all gave from 2800-2850 fps and shot about 8/10". That of course after the action bedding and barrel float those Rugers seemed to need.

It was a nice rifle I wish I still owned.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I still do own mine. The guy I bought my Ruger from was a dealer and carried that boxed 7x57 around about 3 years of gun shows. I had looked at it several times over the years, the time I actually ended up buying it he said to me "when you gonna buy this so I don't have to haul it around any more?" I said "when you gonna shoot me a good price? he laughed and said $160 no tax one time deal. I paid in cash on the spot. One of the first bought and destined to be one of the last I'll sell. Mine also likes 120 gr Hornady's. Magnum_Man

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A few guys at our club had these long-throat 7x57's....IIRC these also coincided with the use of the infamous subcontractor barrels.I had a couple in 257 Roberts.....they were one load rifles.

These 7x57's drove some of the guys nuts,as the only thing predictable about them were how unpredictable they were...mostly they struggled and came up with one or two loads that shot well;and it was not always the long bullets...things like 130 gr Speers sometimes shot,despite having to take a long jump to the lands....a guy just never knew.

I watched, listened,and stayed away from them smile

Is it fair to say the subcontactors would have been aware of SAAMI specs for the 7X57? Also, Ruger must have had some quality controls in place...after all there name went on the rifles. For that matter, Bill Ruger would most likely see to that.

I am begining to form the opinion that the early 77s in the 7X57 got a bad rap because of a few individuals early on and others just regurgitated the stories with out actually taking the time to wring out the potential of the rifles.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am very happy to say that all 3 of my 7X57s have long throat.
My smith has 2 reamers for the round. he calls on the american throat, (short) and one the europian, (long)
I can't say it has ben a negative for me to have long throats, infact just the opisate.
the long throat leavs room for more powder and lowers preasures a little.
My Ruger, (#1A) has a long throat snd I shoot 50 grains of H-414 under a 140 grain balistic tip. I get excelent acuracy. .50 to .75 and velocity straddels the 2900 MK.
My other 2 are custom mauser 98s and they to have the long throat. I hope they shoot even almost as well as my Ruger , but I have not tried them yet...tj3006

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My Ruger 77 Mk 2's in 7 x 57 both had long throats.

I just seated the bullets to magazine length.

both were picky on loads, but 40 grains of IMR 3031 with ANY bullet weight, turned out to be 1/2 inch loads...

anything else could give groups of 3 to 5 inches at 100 yds.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
My Ruger 77 Mk 2's in 7 x 57 both had long throats.

I just seated the bullets to magazine length.

both were picky on loads, but 40 grains of IMR 3031 with ANY bullet weight, turned out to be 1/2 inch loads...

anything else could give groups of 3 to 5 inches at 100 yds.

Seafire, any bullet weight? Wow, that is interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My tang safety M77 has a champagne taste...for bullets 140 gr and above. Prefers Nosler Partitions and Speer Grand Slams, however I am on a beer budget. Many years ago I settled on 154gr Hornady Spire Points for black bear, Whitetail and Mule deer and 160gr Nosler Partitions or Speer Grand Slams for Moose and Elk. For big game I sight in and practice with the Hornady's and shoot the Noslers and Speer if I am after Elk and Moose.

Recently, on a guided black bear hunt in Ontario I struck up a conversation about 7x57s with a married couple from Kansas in camp. The wife was carrying a custom VZ24 rifle chambered for the 7MM Mauser. Handloads were 160gr Speer Grand Slam, which she used on deer, hogs, elk and black bear. I told the couple I was using 154gr Hornady Interlocks but was not happy with them...they did not have the accuracy of the old Spire Points. The gentleman said he uses a Lee Crimp Die on all bullet weights loaded for the 7X57 due to the long throat and suggested I give it a try.

The crimp die has the Ruger M77 shooting the Interlocks just as good or better than the old Spire Points. Happy Days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.