24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent work, won't be long before the kids steal it! smile I've got a lightweight on a Husqvarna next up on my to-do list. Most of the work is done, just need to finish with the bedding and stock work. Should be done with the Remington 700 Ti today, should be able to get the Husky finished up next week. I'll get you all some photos then.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 12/29/11.
BP-B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Interesting post. I've got a custom 98 that runs 7 lbs., 4 ozs. empty with 6X42 Leupold.
MPI Kevlar stock which goes just over 18 ozs. ready to bolt up. 1/2 inch rubber recoil pad, not a foam pad.
Steel, Remington FP&TG, lightend as is the action. Steel Leupold QR mounts and rings.
24 inch Pac-Nor #1 contour barrel, .600 muzzle, with shank reduced.
With Ching sling and five rounds, I'm at 7 lbs. 13 ozs.
Can go lighter. Talley Lt. Wt. mounts will cut 5+ ozs. A couple of inches off the barrel and I'm down 2-3 ozs. as well. Lighter 6X35 Leupold will reduce it's weight 2 ozs. more.
I'm not going to do it. I like it just as is. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
very nice....I've got a Santa Barbara action in 6mm in a crappy wood stock I want to give the treatment to, while making it a Roberts. hoping to get down to 7.5 with a bansner stock, talleys and a light scope.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The trick is to weigh, or know the real weight of every component for the rifle. 98 Mausers often run 45 ozs. or more, so they can be harder to do.
My rifle maker told me he could get the action alone down to 40 ozs., so that helps. Another 3-4 ozs. off of the barrel, etc. The real weight savings was on the stock, 18-19 ozs., ready to bolt up. After that, it's scopes, and scope mounts. E

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dwayne,

I appreciate you posting all of this up as it is something I've been interested in for quite a while.

One thing I'll caution you on is the PAWS BM unit. I had one and the "anodizing" appeared to be pretty poor, as it rubbed off rather easily.

The easy solution was to pick up a can of Wheeler Engineering's Cerama-Coat and spray/bake it on.

Cool project. I call 'em "winter sanity projects," though this one was a bit too early to fit the bill completely wink .

Grace and peace to you and your family this New Year!

IC B2

BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
efw;
Thanks for the kind comments to you sir and to the rest who did, I appreciate the feedback and hope some out there can benefit from the information I provided.

Thank you as well for the heads up on the finish on the bottom metal.

If I can make a small confession here, I really, really didn't like the antelope relief on the floor plate. So for the first time in my life and I'm somewhat reluctant to admit this, but I stuck the bottom metal in the stock and applied a coat of Krylon fusion to the whole works. blush

Here's a photo that shows it a bit better perhaps?
[Linked Image]

Like a lot of project rifles I've done, the fun with this one was what I learned while doing it, though I must admit that dragging a 7lb rifle around the local mountains agrees with me more than I ever dreamed it would. I'm sure it has nothing to do with me aging though.... wink laugh

Thanks as well for the link on the spray on Cerama-Coat. I'll have to do a bit of digging and see if they can either send it up across the medicine line or if someone stocks it up here.

As I mentioned a bit earlier, the PAWS unit wasn't available from Brownell's for export up here to us Canucks, but eventually I was able to figure out a way to get one up here and as far as I'm aware no laws were broken.

Lastly, thanks for the good wishes for 2012. May I return it to you and wish you and your family the best of the Lord's blessings in the New Year.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't feel bad, Dwayne... I felt EXACTLY the same way about that relief, and ended up going w/ a reshaped military unit instead.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.