Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
...if a longer barrel with a lighter receiver and/or lighter stock shrunk the groups, then they'd all have the longer barrels, lighter receiver and/or lighter stock combination.

Yep, we agree.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JOG

Yep, we agree.

Cool! Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Barrel length doesn't determine mechanical accuracy.

I think you'd get an argument out of the bechnrest crowd regarding that statement. It's not by accident that virtually all the barrels in the Light Gun and Heavy Gun winner's circle are precisely 21.75" in length. I don't pretend to understand it, but I do read Precision Shooting frequently.

Yeah, the benchrest crowd probably would have a lot to say about things that don't relate much to hunting arms, I suppose. BR shooters (far as I know - not being one myself) put in the effort to dial in things like matching powder burn rates to barrels and vice-versa. Most hunters won't go very far with that. I suspect (again, I don't know) that details like that may be a factor in determining optimal barrel length in their game. And most hunters won't spend the money it takes to make a rifle barrel truly accurate anyway.

But when it comes to guns appropriate for big-game hunting (which may or may not be the interest of the OP) and not looking for accuracy differences measured in hundredths of an inch, I don't see any comparison that shows where length will make a difference - on scoped barrels. I've seen too many "handrifles" that shoot just as accurately from a rest as hunting rifles that are often the subject of much boasting, for anyone to convince me there is any practical difference in mechanical accuracy.

Last edited by FreeMe; 01/12/10.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
FreeMe,

I often use a hiking staff for a handgun rest. I can't say how it'll work for you 300-yard pistoleros, but it works well for my 100-125 yard .44 Mag stuff. The 'ball' on top unscrews and you add the 'V' rest.

One of the nice things about handgun hunting is free hands, so the staff is no big thing to carry and often helps in crappy terrain. The thread on top of the staff is the same as most of the cameras, binos, and spotting scopes I've used also. I don't use the Cabela's one shown below - I bought mine local years ago and don't remember the brand.

[Linked Image]

Hiking Staff

JOG - others may see it differently, but I found the staff to be a little help, but not much. I prefer shooting a hunting handgun from a braced kneeling or sitting position, and I don't want to take time to fumble with additional gear. In my way of thinking, if I had to add the weight and bother of a staff to the ~4lbs of a scoped .308win handgun, I might as well invest in a really good ultra-light rifle and rig a good carry system for it. OTOH, I can go hands-free with a holstered revolver, and get within 100yds of game just as easily as with that 4lb piece.

Different strokes....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
yeah, the benchrest crowd probably would have a lot to say about things that don't relate much to hunting arms, I suppose. BR shooters (far as I know - not being one myself) put in the effort to dial in things like matching powder burn rates to barrels and vice-versa. Most hunters won't go very far with that. I suspect (again, I don't know) that details like that may be a factor in determining optimal barrel length in their game. And most hunters won't spend the money it takes to make a rifle barrel truly accurate anyway.

99% of hunters aren�t the least bit interested in any of the benchrest techniques that benchresters use to squeeze the last bit of accuracy from their shooting platform. In fact, even Palma Shooters don�t spend as much time preparing their ammo for practice and competition. They would rather spend the time shooting than neck-turning and case annealing. The average �Joe,� shows up at range, sights in until he can keep 3 rounds on a paper plate at 100 yards, than calls that good enough, or Minute of Deer (MOD). He�s ready to hunt.
But when it comes to guns appropriate for big-game hunting (which may or may not be the interest of the OP) and not looking for accuracy differences measured in hundredths of an inch, I don't see any comparison that shows where length will make a difference - on scoped barrels. I've seen too many "handrifles" that shoot just as accurately from a rest as hunting rifles that are often the subject of much boasting, for anyone to convince me there is any practical difference in mechanical accuracy.

No argument from me here either.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

No I wasn't smart enough to keep it... frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
[Linked Image]

No I wasn't smart enough to keep it... frown

Typical "handrifle" accuracy - which is to say, quite good.

Thing about those short barrels is that there is less to be effected by improper bedding, heat, harmonics, and such. It's not that it's easier to make short accurate barrels than long accurate barrels - but it's easier to avoid making a barrel less accurate than it could be, if the barrel is shorter.

Make sense?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thing about those short barrels is that there is less to be effected by improper bedding, heat, harmonics, and such. It's not that it's easier to make short accurate barrels than long accurate barrels - but it's easier to avoid making a barrel less accurate than it could be, if the barrel is shorter.

Make sense?

I just figure the bullet's out the muzzle before you get a chance to wiggle...grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Make sense?

I just figure the bullet's out the muzzle before you get a chance to wiggle...grin

grin Well, I found I could mess up a sight picture pretty fast with a handrifle......That's why I have to get so close. blush

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 204guy, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.