Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am a big fan of the 17gr VMax ammo. I always limited myself to head shots, preferably through an eye, though.

On the one hand, since I did not ever go out alone, there were always one or two 243/25-06's to hammer anything I passed on. On the other hand, shooting coyotes was never about hunting; the goal was pure eradication. So if I goofed, which I did once or twice, and made a less than optimum shot, it made no difference to me whether the coyote died to the bullet or a week later from starvation.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Originally Posted by GregW
I believe shot placement will be the key rather than bullet selection. i believe your options are 17 and 20gr....I doubt the Coyote will know the difference. I have only killed one at about 50 yards with a .17, head shot. I was using Hornady vmax 17 gr.

I wouldn't shoot a coyote with a 17 grain Vmax out of much, let alone a 17 HMR...

Of course if you're talking only headshots, which in the real world of calling coyotes are a pretty poor shot percentage, it really doesn't matter...

+1

I think it was a fellow from Montana, that is now a rep for something that told me that he'd shot a few up there with the 17 HMR. They tend to run 400 yds or so and then maybe die...or not. You might get them, or you might not.

I've had Coyotes run after being hit with 100gr .243 rounds. Shot placement.

Exactly...but a 100 gn for a 243 is a tough bullet. It probably passes on through. Regardless of opening that can of worms, because I don't know the specifics...with your 243, you have a little bit of margin for error. With a 17HMR....practically none.

Shot placement IS crucial. But still, use enough gun to do the job.

Steve

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Sure, but I've had it happen with everything from 62gr on up. There is a bit of margin for error with the .243 and thats why I use it for the times when a yote hangs up way out or gives me less than ideal shot angles. The .17 is purely for 50 yarders or less. At that range there is plenty of gun for a yote.

My brother in law uses his 7mm to hunt coyotes, he rarely has one get away regardless of shot placment. I think its boring that way, im in it to improve my skills and marksmanship. If i was concerned about absolute death over marksmanship I would sell my .17 and by a 50 bmg to hunt with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm - you slam a guy for mentioning a rhino versus a coyote, and suggest he leave the discussion for making that kind of a point...then you mention a 50 BMG versus a .17 HMR. ????

Why not use a BB gun, shoot them in the eye and limit your shots to 50 feet? wink Now you'll tell me that I should leave the discussion....

You think a .17 HMR with a 17 gr V-Max is a great coyote gun, I disagree. You do what you want, and I'll do what I want. Life is great.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sure, but I've had it happen with everything from 62gr on up. There is a bit of margin for error with the .243 and thats why I use it for the times when a yote hangs up way out or gives me less than ideal shot angles. The .17 is purely for 50 yarders or less. At that range there is plenty of gun for a yote.

My brother in law uses his 7mm to hunt coyotes, he rarely has one get away regardless of shot placment. I think its boring that way, im in it to improve my skills and marksmanship. If i was concerned about absolute death over marksmanship I would sell my .17 and by a 50 bmg to hunt with.

That would be enough gun. eek

Coyotes are tougher than they look.

Steve

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Hmmm - you slam a guy for mentioning a rhino versus a coyote, and suggest he leave the discussion for making that kind of a point...then you mention a 50 BMG versus a .17 HMR. ????

Why not use a BB gun, shoot them in the eye and limit your shots to 50 feet? wink Now you'll tell me that I should leave the discussion....

You think a .17 HMR with a 17 gr V-Max is a great coyote gun, I disagree. You do what you want, and I'll do what I want. Life is great.

He knew what my point was and was avoiding it...

All ya'll advocates of 17 HMR's are sure a funny breed. The loyalty and cult following of this round and the folks that try to make it into something it isn't sure crack me up and every other serious coyote hunter who just know better.

There's no discussion with these folks as they cannot be reasoned with.

Bottom line: Minimum for calling should be a centerfire and if I had to shoot a rimfire, the .22 magnum trumps the 17HMR every single time for the killing of big stuff.

That should get them riled up...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GregW, damn troublemaker grin You know your gonna get a case of redass from the 17 loonies laugh laugh
I gotta agree, I have shot a bunch of yotes with the 17HMR and it is not what I want to use. Close up you will do pretty well but not always. As you stated,I much prefer a centerfire, that being said, depending upon where, most always an AR in 223.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The point is that you HAVE shot lots of them. And those that HAVE never recommend it...

That's the crux of the whole debate...

My calling rifle will be one of these two. Usually.

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter

Take the time to read my posts, I never said it wqas a great coyote gun. Secondly,he said he was leaving the discussion, i didnt ask him to leave. Lastly, he's basically saying the .17 isnt enough gun. So my point was that anything short of a 50bmg without proper shot placement isnt enough gun.

Last edited by warpig602; 01/17/10.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.