Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My Dad purchased an aladdin oil lamp some years back and we decided to fire it up the other day.

All I can say is WOW, that thing is BRIGHT!! Compared to a regular wick-burning oil lamp, the Aladdin seems 10x brighter with its mantle glowing.

Anyone know where to get a good deal on the Aladdin lamps. I'd like to get a few for backup lighting.

On another note. Dont ever buy "Pure Parriffin Oil" from the store. We bought two 100 oz jugs of the stuff for 22 bucks apeiece then did some research online to find that its basically K-1 kerosene and doesn't burn nearly as well as some other fuel sources.

Klean-heat is the only way to travel...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two dealers in AK, in Sitka and Homer. Bet you could buy from

http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Index.asp

high dollar for sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Two dealers in AK, in Sitka and Homer. Bet you could buy from

http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Index.asp

high dollar for sure.

They are expensive but the genie that comes with them and grants you hot girls and fast cars (or fast girls and hot cars - your preference) is worth the extra expense. whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Try the Amish supply store, Lehman's.

www.lehmans.com

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

They are expensive but the genie that comes with them and grants you hot girls and fast cars (or fast girls and hot cars - your preference) is worth the extra expense. whistle

Hmmm...maybe Pops got a defective one. All we got was this lousy bright light laugh

Originally Posted by mike762

www.lehmans.com

Yeah I've been on the site, but was wondering if anyone had a hook-up at a cheaper place. I'm impressed for sure!!

Was reading on the Aladdin lamps and in the early 1900's they had a 1000 dollar reward for anyone that could get a lamp to equal theirs in brightness. No one claimed the reward and by like the 1930's, 7 million of the buggers had sold.

I have to admit this is amazing 19th century technology!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I used an Alladin lamp on my sailboat. In addition to brightly lighting the main cabin it also heated it (not such a good thing when we were in the Tropics, but great in northern Lats.)

Now I have four of them for backup lighting which came in handy during our recent earthquake. I always burn paint thinner in mine (mineral spirits) It's cheaper than kerosene and has no odor.

Around here they are sold in any decent hardware store.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yeah, I've read that they have as much as 2500 BTU output on the highest setting (and dont doubt it)

As far as burning the mineral spirits....

I've read that the mineral spirits has a flash point near 110��F. Pretty low to be using in a lamp...

K-1 Kerosene and the alternative we use, Klean Heat, is upwards of 200�F, being much more stable

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some good info. I had forgotten about Aladdin Lamps. I may have to try one out now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

www.lehmans.com

As nost of you know we have lived w/o power at our house for the last 7 years. We use Aladdin lamps and one two wick oil lamp for all out light. All of our lamps come from Lehmans. They are honest and reputable. We have wall hangers and a brass ceiling hanger too. They help a lot when lighting a home.

You need to buy extra wicks, mantles, flame spreaders and always have a wick trimmer on hand. They are somewhat expensive to maintain but the best light for a non electric home.

NEVER leave one burning unattended. They will run away and can cause a fire.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More good up to date data on mantles and wicks would SUIT this thread.

Maybe my lifestyle was to "Rough and Tumble" ,....I remember LOVING Aladins when they worked,......

and always having to screw around with them,.....no mantles or etc. available for miles around.

High flash point fuels dittos,....those suckers run HOT.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
What kind of up to date data are you looking for?

H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Scott F

www.lehmans.com

As nost of you know we have lived w/o power at our house for the last 7 years. We use Aladdin lamps and one two wick oil lamp for all out light. All of our lamps come from Lehmans. They are honest and reputable. We have wall hangers and a brass ceiling hanger too. They help a lot when lighting a home.

You need to buy extra wicks, mantles, flame spreaders and always have a wick trimmer on hand. They are somewhat expensive to maintain but the best light for a non electric home.

NEVER leave one burning unattended. They will run away and can cause a fire.

Scott, a definite NEVER on leaving them unattended. During our test burn, it was runnin' smooth for over an hour at my Dads place. 40 minutes after we left, my Dad had 12-14 inches of bright orange flame coming ABOVE the chimney!! It gave the mantle a good soot covering, but the next day it was re-lit and burned low at first and slowly increasing until the mantle cleaned itself off.

When you talk about extra flame spreaders, do you mean the gallery itself or an actual flame spreader? Does this fit inside the mantle?

Also, what about these light boosters I'm seeing? Does it really increase the light by 25% at sea level?

One more quicky: High altitude chimneys. Are they worth the extra dough if not above the specified altitude? I've read that people at lower altitudes use them for a better burn and draft through the lamp. Is this true?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The flame spreader is the unit that sits inside the wick. They are cheep and last about a year. We keep several on hand along with extra mantels, wicks and chimneys. Make sure you keep a wick trimmed around too. They are about a buck and they last a while but are plastic and and get dull or break.

If you read the instructions for lighting the lamp, I know, makes us in grave danger of loosing out guy license but read and follow then to the letter, the lamp will burn properly and flair ups are much less of a problem. Light one is a three step processes.

The chimney extender will help at higher elevations. We used them in Central Oregon and they were worth the cost but here at 60 feet above seal level they do not seem to be needed. As I remember they are useful above 2,000 feet. They sit in a cupboard where we keep our spare parts now.

Yes I love them. The Genie III is my favorite. We found the glass base is easier to use on a full time bases because it is easy to keep an eye on the fuel level and the filler cap makes filling easier. We may get a couple more for next winter when longer nights make more light a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=hunt_ak]What kind of up to date data are you looking for?

Best reliable source for units, and all the support accesories.

Thanks, in advance,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
[quote=hunt_ak]What kind of up to date data are you looking for?

Best reliable source for units, and all the support accesories.

Thanks, in advance,

GTC

We buy our lamps and parts HERE

They also have a large costumer support staff full of helpful information.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They should work good for 200 bucks!

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is nothing that works better without power. We read all winter, my wife spins and sews, I just lay around in the light of Aladdin lights/ We don't get thr real fancy ones but just buy the Genie III

About $110.00. We do have some that are over 50 years old and they work just the same as a new one so if you look at the investment over the long run it is a hell of a lot better than a China made piece of junk that will break in six months. wink

H
hunt_ak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the info, Scott.

I pretty much had my eye on the brushed aluminum ones simply for durability. My Dad has the glass fount Genie III, like yourself and you brought up a very good point about seeing the fuel level...may have to re-think my strategy.

Do you have any experience with the light boosters?

I know the Aladdin we used the other day was SO INCREDIBLY BRIGHT that you could not look directly at the mantle. I did see a video on youtube with one using a shade. Do you utilize a shade on any of your units?

Also, do you have the ones with the pedestal based (the table model) or the one without (the shelf model)?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Thanks for the info, Scott.

I pretty much had my eye on the brushed aluminum ones simply for durability. My Dad has the glass fount Genie III, like yourself and you brought up a very good point about seeing the fuel level...may have to re-think my strategy.

Do you have any experience with the light boosters?

We have two light boosters but do not need/use them here at sea level. Above 2,000 feet elevation they are a big help. We did not notice a big difference when we moved here so we put them away. You have motivated me to get them out and try them again.

I know the Aladdin we used the other day was SO INCREDIBLY BRIGHT that you could not look directly at the mantle. I did see a video on youtube with one using a shade. Do you utilize a shade on any of your units?

We have a paper shade and base. We are not using it now but may in the near future. We are still getting unpacked and settled in our new cabin. The shade makes it a bit of a pain to light and fill but we did enjoy the shade when we used it in Oregon.

Also, do you have the ones with the pedestal based (the table model) or the one without (the shelf model)?

We have an old model brass table lamp we do not use. it is from the turn of the century and we are looking for a replacement part no longer available from Aladdin. We have a brushed aluminum table model that is over fifty years old and works like a champ. then we have a twenty year old Genie and a new Genie III. I am thinking about another Genie III and two more wall hanging brackets. That way we can move the Genie IIIs from hanger to hanger where ever we need them and not have to take up valuable table top space. If you live in a 480 some square foot cabin then space becomes an issue. wink

We also have a double wick lamp from Lehmans. It is great if we want a quick light. It is the lamp we light when we first come home in the dark and it may be the only lamp we light if we are just going to bed. It produces less light than the Aladdins but it so quick, easy and produces a lot of light and looks nice. Check it out LAMP

One other thing to keep in mind. You need to use oil lamps. They are nice for looking at but many people keep them for emergency and find when they need them to oil has evaporated into a sticky mess and they cannot open them to refill. If you leave them empty then it takes an hour for an Aladdin to wick up enough to burn. So fill them, use them and keep them in good shape for when the lights go out and they will be ready to chase the dark away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (358WCF, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.