Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys-

I have to buy one. Not the biggest and best, but a good one. Not a cheap p.o.s. I'm looking for one that is trouble free, east to use, and portable. And DEPENDABLE.

Can you guys give me a reccommendation. Also tell me which ones you've had problems with, and which ones have been good to you.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Oehler 35P treated me bad.
Shooting Chrony treated me bad.

Buy this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=852429
& add this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=858466

......and you will be happy you didn't buy the other stuff. I have fired roughly 250 shots across the screens and it has not failed to record a single shot yet.

I have friends at the range that own the CD Millennium and they gripe about them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got one of these:

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Digital.html

Actually mine is the older version of that, it's about 15 years old and doesn't miss a beat. I've been real happy with mine and would recommend them. I think you can find them for around $100.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Prochrono is hard to beat for the price. I've put one through the ringer the last few years with 1000s of rounds from rifle, pistol, MLer, and shotgun as well as archery tackle and never had a problem.

Had an F1 SC prior to and it was a piece of junk.

loder

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Personally, I like my Oehler 35P. You do need to have good light for it to work properly, and friends that won't shoot your sky screens. I also always use the 8 ft spread on the screens. Seems to miss fewer shots. I can't say much about the other brands due to my limited experience with them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a CED Millenium for a couple of years now with no issues.If you buy one get the carry bag.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using Shooting Chrony's for years without the issues some people have had. Whatever I bought it would be a model that has the LCD readout on my shooting bench; my first Chrony had the readout on the face of the chronograph itself, in bright sunlight, especially when it fell on the unit I couldn't read it with the unit set up 10' to 15' in front of the muzzle. I had my Beta rebuilt into a Beta Master with the remote controller/readout unit.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've only had two: a Shooting Chrony and a CED. The Shooting Chrony was tired and old and I wanted something better that I would not have to upgrade in a few years. A friend had a CED and liked it so I tried one. I like it very much, particularly with the Infra-red screens. Nice unit.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a PACT Pro and like it very well, but it's all I've ever used.

You will note that most of us like whatever we have, usually with little or no experience with others. Maybe they are all pretty good? But all of them let some less than perfect ones get out, and maybe the maker will fix it if we allow them to??

Last edited by boomtube; 01/15/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've also had the ProChrono Digital for a number of years and have put thousands of rounds through it. Always gave me a reading..on sunny or cloudy days.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have owned three differnt brands, Chrony Beta, Pact and Pro chrony digital. The Beta master worked for awhile then started to give me lots of errors, the Pact hardly worked at all, took it back and exchanged it for the Pro Chrony. The Pro chrony is the best of the three.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just recently went through the same thing on deciding which chronograph to buy. I used to be able to rent a chronograph at the range I shot at for $5.00 a day. I didn't have the need to own one myself - but I moved and now longer have access to one.

I think boomtube has it right with what he said about owning a particular model and which is best.

I'm retired so I spend alot of time on the internet researching things before I buy them. I searched and searched to find what would seem to be the best buy in a chronograph. What I decided on was the ProChrono Digital. The reviews here and at Midway and Cabela's were excellent and there seemed to be a lot of folks that had owned or used other models and preferred the ProChrono. The company also has a very good reputation for repairs or warranty work. Even if you shoot it they will repair or replace it for a reasonable charge.

The one deciding factor I finally ran into was on one website where a guy was testing chronographs for shotgun shells. I don't recall exactly why, but apparently it's difficult to get consistent readings on shotgun loads. The ProChrono was the only one that gave consistent readings and he had tested all the popular brands. It seemed like a fair and unbiased test that he had done.

It's been too cold to get out and shoot since I got it so I have exactly - zero hands on experience with it. I just figured I would pass along what I had found out and decided on.

fish head

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm on my way to the store...

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Scored a ProChrono Digital. I'll give 'er a whirl this weekend. Thanks to all for the help.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Yukon,
Took my ProChrono out in the rain today and it worked flawlessly. It was steady rain too. I think Mule Deer suggested a piece of clear packing tape over the eyes for a rain & dust coat. I have not tried it but I will.

I also used my laser sight to set up the chrono and it took me 30 seconds total. I was pleased.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now THAT is a dang good idea!!! I never thought of that. I have a laser for carpentry just sitting around, but it'll be in my range box tonight! Thanks for the good tips 28.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have the Pact pro and have had nothing but troubles with it. Each time I call their customer service, they give me a new way to set it up...which doesn't work. Finally got authorization to send it back in and got it back with new detectors, however, I have the same old problems. "no start signal detected" is the usual issue. I live in AZ and usually have bright clear skys. My buddy has a Shooting Chrony and has NEVER had an issue with it. We've shot side by side and even in line with each unit and I continue to have issues and he does not. Mine will go in the next yard sale for sure!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by yukonal
Guys-

I have to buy one. Not the biggest and best, but a good one. Not a cheap p.o.s. I'm looking for one that is trouble free, east to use, and portable. And DEPENDABLE.

Can you guys give me a reccommendation. Also tell me which ones you've had problems with, and which ones have been good to you.

Since 1981 I have owned a Custom Chronograph, a PACT, a Shooting Chrony, a Oehler M35, and currently a CED Millenium 2.

The Custom became obsolete when they stopped making the paper screens, the PACT ended up out in the alfalfa field where I threw it, the Shooting Chrony has been gathering dust under my loading bench for the past 18 years, and when it became obvious that Oehler wouldn't be supporting the M35 much longer, I sold my most excellent Oehler for a ridiculous sum of money on ebay, bought the CED and with the rest of the money bought.....a couple used Leupys or tires for my truck (can't exactly recall now.....)

CED Millenium is currently the best chronograph made, and the equal of the former Gold Standard M35. It will cost you $200 (plus whatever accessories you choose to buy).

I have trouble trusting the other chrono's out there--or the frustration factor is more than I am willing to tolerate.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You guy's are great, and I'm sold PROCHORNO it is, which is good almost bought the master beta on a boxing week sale but did'nt know much about it. Glad I found this.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

CED Millenium is currently the best chronograph made, and the equal of the former Gold Standard M35. It will cost you $200 (plus whatever accessories you choose to buy).

I have trouble trusting the other chrono's out there--or the frustration factor is more than I am willing to tolerate.

+1.............

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.