Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kinda reminds me of what happens when you leave Twinkie in the deep fat fryer too long

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I dont know where this happened but it didnt happen over last weekend. I received these pictures around 2 months ago from a buddy too. One thing about it, they wont be doin' that again.

DB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This was the message sent to me from a buddy via email. Yes there are a few more pics, pretty gruesome, that I can post if you guys want. Let me know.

Downtown Dallas job over the weekend. There is two of them-copper thieves-now retired. They were trying to pull a hot 13,200 volt copper wire out of a conduit. Note the bolt cutter and the copper wire on the ground. It still stinks out here! I guess these little fellers didn't realize that this sub-station was super hot. No problem-they won't bother one again!
Well, there's TWO that saves the taxpayers a trial. And an added bonus: there won't be recidivism...

Serves 'em right..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
grin

[Linked Image]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope those are the same ones who stole all the copper wiring from the lights at the sports complex in McKinney.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they should have stolen a voltage tester first.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
The gene pool gets a little chlorine added from time to time.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
guess they should have tried a better occupation that stealing for a living.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 01/20/10.

============================================================

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Extra crispy [bleep].The one guy ruined a perfectly good pair of sneakers grin

You gonna go hang 'em from a tree, and burn a cross while you're at it?
Make it a party!
grin

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oulufinn
grin

[Linked Image]

That is Little Les!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Good... That's an air pressure stub phone cable that those fools were trying to steal... I've had to fix the messes that those bastards cause... I hope it hurt really bad....

13,000 volt phone line??? I don't think so.

I guess you know what a 12B-1 stub is?

No, but I know enough about electricity and electronics to know that no phone company on earth has ever used the kind of voltage it would take to do that. Clearly caused by contacting a high voltage power line.

A little searching turned up this:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=54615

It seems like many internet sensations, the original link is lost. There have been several copper thieves electrocuted in the past decade.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if there was no meter on that line,they should charge the next of kin with theft of sevices for the power that killed them. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

No, but I know enough about electricity and electronics to know that no phone company on earth has ever used the kind of voltage it would take to do that. Clearly caused by contacting a high voltage power line.
Jerry

I never claimed that they were electrocuted by the phone cable,you did... I'm in the phone business Jerry...You think I might have a clue about what I see?
Do you have a clue what was in those pictures except a couple of crispy brothers?

Last edited by BrotherBart; 01/20/10. Reason: I'm an a-hole...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So is the thnking one dude climbed the pole, cut the hot lines one at a time (he would have been insulated if the pole was dry and he kept away from the ground wire, sort of like the bird pearching on one wire), the multi part cable fell, then as they were trying to pull the cable out of the ground conduit, they got in contact with the hot cables?

Otherwise I am having problems knowing why the cables have a nice cut and are on the ground, looks like they were at the top of the pole at one time. The photos on snopes show the three cable ends and a fourth cable with burned off insulation. I am guessing this was an underground lead coming out of a sub and feeding a string of poles.

And from the snopes photos, it is not a phone cable, looks like black plastic semi rigid casing that melted around the guys. The melted portion looks like rubber, which it is not. The remainder of the casing looks just like the one in front of my house where a 13,900 feed comes out of the ground and goes up a pole. There is a cable at the one guys foot with the insulation burned off, my guess is he stepped on the hot cable and provided a nice ground path.

Last edited by Cabriolet; 01/20/10.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some career paths are a dead end, others just cause job related burn out.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Extra crispy [bleep].The one guy ruined a perfectly good pair of sneakers grin

You gonna go hang 'em from a tree, and burn a cross while you're at it?
Make it a party!
grin

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wonder what they were thinking.In Every substation that I have been in you could hear the 60cycle hum.And you can feel it in the air on humid days.Like we don't turn it off at night,man! Lightman

lightman
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lightman
I wonder what they were thinking.In Every substation that I have been in you could hear the 60cycle hum.And you can feel it in the air on humid days.Like we don't turn it off at night,man! Lightman

They were thinking about their next score of cyrstal meth I would guess. They probably couldn't distinguish between the 60 Hz hum you speak of and the hum inside their fried brains (not to be confused with the final fry seen in the photos grin).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good... That's an air pressure stub phone cable that those fools were trying to steal... I've had to fix the messes that those bastards cause... I hope it hurt really bad....

13,000 volt phone line??? I don't think so.

I guess you know what a 12B-1 stub is?

So what is a 12B-1 stub?

Some of our main trunk cables are still pressurised in that manner, as are many of the cables between the exchange and the"cab" (PCP) on the side of the road..In fact one of the first indications of a potential fault is the air pressure dropping in the cable and setting off an alarm in the exchange..The nominal voltage our system runs on is 50V DC although ringing tone represents bursts of about 120v and is more than enough to get your attention when your working at the top of a pole!

Cable theft over here is a major,major problem...I am not just talking about idiots as in the pics above, but gangs who go around posing as Contractors (including the vehicles) and set up road works ect and drag out hundreds of meters of live cable...Its just one of the reasons we are looking at replacing copper with fibre although that will take years to do..

Last edited by Pete E; 01/20/10.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You sound like you are in the phone business Pete...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,710
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.