Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I suppose dropping a million buffalo back into Kansas would be tough on fences and traffic.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The road hunters from Oklahoma and Missouri would have them all shot off within 50 miles of the state lines pretty quick. Outfitters would sell Buffalo hunts on the internet to folks from Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama. Our state legislature would place a buffalo mainentance surcharge tax on any landowner in the state who still had any transplanted buffalo left alive on their ground. The buffalo would be shot off,,,again,,,.
I don't think 1 million would be enough.

Last edited by headspace; 01/22/10.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
THe grizzlies would do best in their historical strongholds,the Los Angeles plains,and the Big Sur coast,where they preyed on the seal and sealion colonies,which have now recovered enough to support the bears(the White Sharks aren't having any problems!).The good people of California DESERVE a thriving grizzly population.They have been ever so busy dictating how the rest of us should live with wildlife.In my case they don't think that the expanding grizzly population in BC should be hunted at all.I live here,they can take their holier than thou atitudes elsewhere! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can't imagine how a few grizzlies roaming the streets of Compton could hurt the neighborhood much.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted this before, but it fits this conversation.

This is an authenticated California Grizzly bear skull that was unearthed while excavating the foundation of my house.
One of the biggest ever recorded.

A true family heirloom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And BTW, this Californian has no problem with you guys killing Grizzly Bears...

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1151/mee1kk8.jpg

[Linked Image]

laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice one Salmonella!!!! By the way,I wasn't trying to denigrate ALL Californians,I'm sure you know who I'm reffering to!Cheers, Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 01/23/10.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man, both of those grizzlies are nice ones. Where was the more recent one found? Is it Russian?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Wish you'd dictate a lil harder on how to manage our mountain lion problem.
laugh

Start by shooting every one you see.
We are trying my friend, we are trying.

(legal kills)

Was under my deck...
[Linked Image]

One of 9 lions that neighbor has legally killed on depredation permits.

[Linked Image]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/2-3.jpg

Looks like you sure are doing your part! More of us need to be having that kind of success.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by poz62
http://www.counterpunch.org/palmer1109.html
I think fair is fair. We have the wolves here. We should reintroduce the grizzly bear to California. They even have them on their flag.

We would love to have the Grizzlies back, but unfortunately, the California Golden Grizzy is extinct, and cannot be re-introduced.

BTW don't blame us for ALL the wolves, the east coasters are probably more rabid than the average Californicator about their "greenness". If it was up to me, any wolf outside of Yellowstone should be shot on sight.

The problem is that more and more people live in cities, and think all beef etc comes in a plastic container, just like canned soup. The greenies are totally unrealistic about real life and nature, but they can outvote us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As an aside, we have black bears, and it's legal to hunt them. They are a real problem around the Lake Tahoe area, way too many.......

Kinda like New Jersey!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What gets me is that the vast majority of "pro" wolf/grizzly people (even those here in MT) have never seen one let alone have experience with these animals. By experience I mean had them come into camp and chase horses around on the picket line, run cattle through fences and such.

At most they "saw the back of one in Yellowstone".

There are exceptions to this of course, but very few IME.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
They also try to lure domestic dogs as fodder as well in the winter.
Randy

Hell, I camped out in Land Between the Lakes in KY this past October and the damn red wolves showed up both nights doing their damnedest to lure my German Shepherd out for dinner. The first evening there were four of em, three hid and a bitch wolf tried for 45 minutes to get Buddy to come to her.

I BAD wanted to give her a dose of .40 cal lead poisoning, but there were a bunch of fuggin' tree-huggers camped not far from us. Fortunately I had Buddy on a leash or chain the whole time we were there.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
What gets me is that the vast majority of "pro" wolf/grizzly people (even those here in MT) have never seen one let alone have experience with these animals. By experience I mean had them come into camp and chase horses around on the picket line, run cattle through fences and such.

I am sure most of the anti-wolf crowd has never seen one either. Half seem to live in states with no wolves.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Of course, black bears, lions, and coyotes have all done the same thing--but we don't hear the same vitrol about those critters.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tangozulu

I am sure most of the anti-wolf crowd has never seen one either. Half seem to live in states with no wolves.

You are likely correct but IME the vast majority of people who have actually seen and interacted with these animals have strong negative feelings about them.

Originally Posted by alpincrik

Of course, black bears, lions, and coyotes have all done the same thing--but we don't hear the same vitrol about those critters.......

Casey

Yes, you are correct too. However, I don't believe I have ever had a rancher not allow me to hunt those critters on their land when I have asked. I know lots of ranchers in MT and ID that want every bear, lion and coyote on their land killed. Many still shoot every predator they see, regardless of the law to include birds of prey. That is just the way they are. Like it or not many still do things the way their fathers and grandfathers did.

I am not in the mood to be getting into a pissing match with you two. I gotta go check traps in the morning. Goodnight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Night.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Doghunter, wow, this a great arguement here for illegal activity:

Yes, you are correct too. However, I don't believe I have ever had a rancher not allow me to hunt those critters on their land when I have asked. I know lots of ranchers in MT and ID that want every bear, lion and coyote on their land killed. Many still shoot every predator they see, regardless of the law to include birds of prey. That is just the way they are. Like it or not many still do things the way their fathers and grandfathers did.

I am not in the mood to be getting into a pissing match with you two. I gotta go check traps in the morning. Goodnight.

What a f'ing joke.

So, if my father and grandfather poached elk and deer I somehow get a pass because thats just the way it is if I choose to follow in their footsteps?

I dont care one way or the other what personal feelings people have regarding wolves. But, to condone any type of illegal activity because of how someone was raised...is irresponsible and flat wrong.

I highly recommend that if you really do know of someone illegally shooting birds of prey or big-game animals like bears and lions...I suggest 1-800-tipmont. That type of behavior is wrong, and I dont care how a person was raised and I dont give a $hit what their Dads and Grandfathers did.

No excuse for the illegal killing of ANY big-game or protected species.

Good luck on your trapline...I'm envious.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You are likely correct but IME the vast majority of people who have actually seen and interacted with these animals have strong negative feelings about them.

Knowing quite a passel of such folks personally, I find exactly the opposite. I could point you to the father of game management himself, Aldo Leopold as a well known example of that, but in fact, everyone I know that actually deals with them on a regular basis has extremely positive feelings about the need for predators back in the landscape.

Whatchya trapping?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD

Knowing quite a passel of such folks personally, I find exactly the opposite. I could point you to the father of game management himself, Aldo Leopold as a well known example of that, but in fact, everyone I know that actually deals with them on a regular basis has extremely positive feelings about the need for predators back in the landscape.

Whatchya trapping?

I happen to agree with both Dog Hunter and you, but must clarify. In Dog Hunter's point he is most likely talking about non-game management people, "salt of the earth" people. You are most likely talking about game management people, animal rights groups, federal, state and local agencies.

To cite Aldo Leopold as an example of the people you are talking about is a stretch. Do a little background check on Leopold and you will find that until he took a professor position at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, as an employee of the U. S. Forest Service in New Mexico he firmly believed that removal of predators would benefit wildlife populations and ultimately hunters...he advocated the extermination of wolves and mountain lions. What changed his mind? He was immersed in one of the most liberal universities and liberal cities in the world. To survive economically and socially in that environment he became a wolf hugger.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/28/10.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
rottenoak, you are sadly ignorant, again.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.