Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Winchester Model 670 bolt action .30-06 that I have "inheretid" and I have a couple of questions that I hope some one can help me with.

First off the person that I got it from had nothing really to do with me and I did not know them well. The just gave it to me. So I know nothing about this particular rifle itself and it has no sentimental value to me. However it is in pretty good shape and there are things that I like about it A LOT!

So what I like is that it came to me wearing a gorgeous blonde stock which from my research is kind of rare or not normal. Also it does not seem to be refinished. The second thing that I like is that the trigger feels SUPER nice.

Now the thing that I don't like is that someone removed the bluing from the barrel, just the barrel, and this has caused some pitting. The bore is like new even though the outside of the barrel is pitted and shows NO rust. I thought of rebluing but I don't really feel like doing the work for something that I'm not going to use.

SO.... what I really want to find out is if this rifle's parts are all interchangable with a model 70? I would like to find a .25-06 barrel to put on this rifle or perhaps some other interesting caliber. I have 3 .30-06 rifles now without this one and I would rather make it into some thing that I like than sell it and buy something different. I don't want to ream the bore bigger either since I already have a .300 win mag and a .35 whelen. Guess I could go .338-06 but I'm not that interested. My long action caliber choices would be .25-06, 6.5-06, or .264 win mag but I don't know if the last is possible with this rifle. Can't shrink the bore so I guess that means NEW BARREL TIME.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, .264 is not possible with just a barrel change. It had a different bolthead size, and that is only one of the dimensional differences.

Speaking for myself, I would find the .25-06 quite interesting. And it would most likely be a PacNor barrel.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What about 7x57 Mauser? Does that have the same bolt head or similar to .30-06?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, that would be an option. And a classic one at that. Good round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AFAIK, the M670 was issued with a non-walnut stock, Birch IIRC - and someone just might have done a good job of stripping the walnut stain from one & refinishing it blonde.
If a refinisher (pro or amateur) knows what they're about, such a refinish can be virtually undetectable w/o taking the metal out of the stock.

ALl the parts & accessories are interchangeable with the fully-finished Model 70, including other barrels for that push-feed action.

I'd see if Numrich or somebody had a NOS 6.5x55 barrel, myself - but a Bob or a .270 Win barrel would be just as nice IMHO.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parts are interchangeable with any full size push feed model 70. If you want a 264 WinMag, build it. Gunsmith who does the barrel change out can easily open up the bolt face a bit. Not rocket science or costly. If you want to stay in the non magnum realm there are lots of options like 25/06, 270. 280, 35 Whelen etc. 7x57 is an older and shorter 280. 280 AI is another option with more and more factory ammo being offered and dies getting easier and cheaper to get.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was under the impression he wanted to change "just" the barrel. I may have misunderstood.

Yes, with that action length, he has a number of options in .473" cartridges alone, and if he were to include modifying the boltface, pretty much all of the cases based on the .458 WinMag become available.

I've done this sort of thing before, and it seems that if I keep thinking about it, more and more changes will take place. You know, the ol' "Well, what if I did this"? It's part of the fun of building a rifle to suit your wants/needs.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yes Vic you are correct. I am thinking of changing the barrel on this rifle to make it into something that better suits my needs/wants. However I would like to keep the expenses to a minimum. So that brings me to changing the barrel but keeping it to cartridges with the same bolt face as the .30-06. I am almost set on a .25-06 barrel but I do not know where to look. I don't know if there would be any availability of Model 70 replacement barrels in this caliber or if I would have to order it from a custom shop.

What do you think?

If custom then from who?

Would you order the barrel and have a local gunsmith assemble it?

Is this something that I could do at home?

Let me know what you think and perhaps I may have a couple of other questions. Thanks guys!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are probably going to spend more getting the 670 rebarreled than what the rifle is worth.

I bought a 670 in 30-06 a number of years ago for $200 in a pawn shop. I imagine it would have sold for $300-$400 now and that's about what it can end up costing you to have it rebarreled depending one where you have it done and which blank you use. If you can find a take-off barrel it would be a lot cheaper but the push feed 70's weren't the most popular for custom rifles so it might be tougher to find take-off barrels to fit them.............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 670 in .243

My step-dad bought it from someone that needed some money for the grand sum of 125.00.

Few years later I bought it from him for the same amount and took quite a few deer with it over the years.

It still has a home in my safe, but I passed it along to my nephew this year (un-fortunately we were successful with it this season).

Long story longer, nice no frill guns

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Funny running into you here, I replied earlier today on the PaFOA website. Left a gunsmith suggestion there too.

Dale

This space for rent

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the suggestion Dale! Just have to find a barrel now. Not in a rush though, figure it'll find me in time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would look at E.R. Shaw or McGowen for barrels if money is a concern. I tried one in '06 from E.R. Shaw, to replace a worn out barrel, and it is serviceable, not exceptionally accurate, but on par or slightly better than a factory barrel. I have a very usable rifle.

Those are two makers who I can recommend for budget barrels, maybe there are others? Maybe someone else can chime in with some advice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was given a "blonde" 670 that I know came that way. Hard piece of wood too with heavy as a side job. I also had 2 other 30-06 rifles but I also had a 270 barrel that came off a model 70 push feed in top shape. Rifle is now a tack driving deer and hog killer. I remodeled and lightened the clubby stock, epoxied the crack inn the foreend and worked up loads usin h414 pushing 130 grain Nosler solid base bullets and the rifle seems a perfect Texas hunting rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bet you cold buya used barrel from Gunparts,unscrew the old one and screw the used one on and tthe headspace would be OK. Just have it checked. A smith shouldn't charge you more than $15 or so to check the head space

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I bet you cold buya used barrel from Gunparts,unscrew the old one and screw the used one on and tthe headspace would be OK. Just have it checked. A smith shouldn't charge you more than $15 or so to check the head space

I would also have the gunsmith do the removal and installation of the new barrel as well. He'll at least have the proper tools for the job and the new barrel and action won't get all scratched up. I'm thinking though that a barrel in .270 Win. might be easier to find used than one in 25-06. FWIW, every .270 I own (4) are very accurate with three being sub-MOA. The Ruger #1A is a 1.25" gun. I've had .270s for years. IIRC, I got my first one around 1973 but used it very little. Since then, I've acquired two commercial FN Mausers and a push feed M70 with the Featherweight style McMillan stock that has been so accurate that it's scary. Like .50" with either factory or handloaded ammo and sometime a lot less that that when I'm having a better than average day at the range.
Of course, you can always use that 670 as a truck gun. Seems to me the price was right. wink
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Before I do anything I think I have decided to load up some .30-06 rounds with 110 grain Barnes TTSX and see how they shoot. Since what I was looking for in the beginning was something to shoot much lighter bullets at a high speed (.25-06) that might work out as long as there is acceptable accuracy there. If not then I may change something. uNtil then I will leave it as is. If the 110GR bullets work out then I will just cold blue the barrel and call it the work horse (TrucK Gun).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
832 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,267 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.