Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I have been batting around ideas for my 2010 Fall hunt and was looking for some advice. I have toyed with lots of stuff (Mtn Goats, Muleys, Deer Combo, Bear, and Elk). I then started thinking that I might take my Wife to one the many lodges that have spas and fantastic meals and accommodations. It would keep me out of trouble a little bit since we just had our 3rd child and I will pay for it a little if I am gone for 10+ days in one stretch this fall.

I understand that I will way overpay for the Elk hunt and I of course am more of a DIY type hunter but I am looking to stay out of trouble! I have not Elk hunted before and killed my first Muley on a DIY public ground hunt this yr. I have hunted a lot and mostly hunt Whitetails and Turkeys with my bow. I am fairly young and have no problem running up and down the mountains.

I have looked at Lodge at Chama, Kessler Canyon, and Three Forks Ranch. Anybody got any info on any of these places? Where do I stand the best chance of getting a 300+ Bull? Is that even realistic? Are there better places out there? Thanks again guys.
Lee

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Vermijo Ranch, Luxury to the T,big bulls. Of the three mentioned,probably the Lodge at Chama.Three Forks is noted for a lot of elk,not necessarily monsters.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vermejo...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I'll check out Vermejo. I forgot to mention that I am only interested in free-range hunts. No fences. I'm not sure about Vermejo but the other 3 I mentioned are. Anybody know about Vermejo? Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe Vermejo Park Ranch is free range....I had some friends that guided there a while back. I went out there one summer to vist them and dink around. We shot some trash dump bears and caught a lot of fish....saw a ton of summer elk. At the time, I think it was owned by Penzoil, before Ted bought it. Someone might correct me on this. Anyways, it is a sweet set up and a fine lodge (even though I was sleeping on the floor in the guides shack when I visited). wink

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Vermijo is free range. I'm pretty sure Turner owns it now.Basic hunt is they drive you around in 4WD ,spot and stalk.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted sandwiched inbetween Vermijo and a ranch called Express UU Bar. You can't go wrong with either. I visted the lodge at Express UU Bar and it was increadible. 300+ Elk in that area is standard. You probably can get a better price at Express and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them for a second. I think its nearly 200,000 acres and Vermijo is 600,000+ if I'm not mistaken.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW, both ranches are definitely free range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I shot an elk from the valley below. I'm standing on the elk. The mountain in the background is Baldy. Vermijo owns the land up to Baldy on the opposite side.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw a show not too long ago about elk hunting in New Mexico at Chama. Definitely luxurious, and some real nice elk too.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three Forks is kind of raghorn central, there's some decent bulls, but you'd be hard pressed to touch 300" there.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've hunted the lodge at chama at least 6 times. you'll have a great time, you'll kill a fine bull unless you can't shoot worth a flip, and their lodge/rooms/food/attention to detail are first rate. you'll pay for it, but you'll have a great time. check their web site, call and ask for frank. he runs the place.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought Frank Simms had moved along?

I really don't think you can go wrong with either the Vermejo or Lodge at Chama if you want NM. In CO a really top ranch for big bulls is the Hill. It borders the Vermejo to the north. Last I heard, Pat lancaster was still outfitting the Hill.

Good luck with your search and hunt.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might check out Rulon Jones's setup in ID.

http://www.utahelkhunt.com/

I have hunted with him from his tent camp off horses but he also has a luxury lodge where those who wish amentities stay.

Elk, Bison and Mule deer.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll call around tomorrow and get some info.

Taz, do you have any more contact info for the Hill? Google could not help me and Pat Lancaster's website did not list it as a current ranch. Thanks!
Lee

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Vermejo....the history of the place is interesting,as well as the food and lodging.....hunted it before Turner owned it;also hunted the Kaiser, next door before it became part of Vermejo....also been on UU Bar.

All that country and east over to Johnson Mesa,and north into Colorado is really glorious game country.

If you drive down from Denver you can also take in the Whittington Center and zero at the range....that is very cool as well!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bob, I was hoping you'd chime in. I know that you know your stuff! The advice about Whittington looks great. Hopefully, I can pull that off.

Anybody else with any suggestions?

Lee

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hands down for me it would be Vermejo followed closesly by Chama Land and Cattle.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't know about 3 forks, but I think the other two have more than enough land holdings to assure you an open land hunt.
I'm going back on 70s memory, but I think Vermejo is 485,000 plus acres in NM and CO. Someone out there with better info can correct me.

Chama Land and Cattle's fences run for a good number of miles along the highway and

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
3 Forks is open and the Spa and Accommodations seem to be the best. I'm just worried about the hunting there since it doesn't seem to be the best. Vermejo and Lodge at Chama seem to have better animals.

Chama said that there average Bull is over 300" and was 331" in 2007 but dipped below 300 for 2008 due to a variety of factors but rebounded again this year although they don't have the actual numbers yet.

Does Vermejo offer any Spa services?

Anybody hunt with PawsUp in Montana?

Hard to find the right combination of things for the wife and good hunting for me outside a fence.

Last edited by Ebby; 01/23/10.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.