Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've never tried to ship "gun stuff" to Canada, so I'm hoping you guys can point me to some accurate information.

Can I ship a rifle scope to Canada? I know there is probably a customs form, but are there other restrictions? I live in the US (private citizen) and would be shipping to a another private citizen in BC.

Thanks.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. DanInAlaska;
I bought a Leupold off of Mr. utah708 just before Christmas and it came here with no issues at all.

I would send it US Postal Service as the brokerage fees here in Canada can be high when using UPS.

He simply put that it was a used scope on the Customs Declaration along with it's value and it came here without any issues at all.

I paid no duty or taxes on this end.

If I can be of any other help, by all means give me a shout.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are export restrictions Dan,from the US side,at least with new scopes I don't know about used.No problems with Canadian import,Canadian Customs doesn't care.I would suggest no return address to protect yourself.There is a reason Rick Bin doesn't ship Leupolds to Canada,and its the US export permit.I think the State Department thinks us Canucks will invade carrying our VXIII scoped Rem 700s! Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 01/20/10.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Monashee,

that s true about the reason of State dept but there is another reason protection of importers ...!!! at least for .Leupold.

i ve imported new ones with a license (easy i can find the link for paper) issued and used without license. the problem is not the northern side of the border.

Last edited by ruger375; 01/22/10. Reason: forgot infos
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Exactly,the 2 Leupold dealers in Canada have an exclusive!However a scope with no US EXPORT permits leaving the US will be confiscated if discovered by US Customs,and they do on occasion open parcels headed to Canada.As I said Canada Customs could care less!Monashee

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've purchased used scopes privately from the U.S. without any issues. Some even had words to the effect "used riflescope" marked clearly on the package and/or accompanying USPS paperwork. I do not make any cross border purchases from sellers who will ship only via UPS. The only exceptions are some of the bigger corporations who have negotiated flat brokerage fees with UPS. As far as I know, there is still a class action law suit against UPS, based on its outrageous and arbitrary fees, inching its way through the court system here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by icedog
I've purchased used scopes privately from the U.S. without any issues. Some even had words to the effect "used riflescope" marked clearly on the package and/or accompanying USPS paperwork. I do not make any cross border purchases from sellers who will ship only via UPS. The only exceptions are some of the bigger corporations who have negotiated flat brokerage fees with UPS. As far as I know, there is still a class action law suit against UPS, based on its outrageous and arbitrary fees, inching its way through the court system here.
Many scopes do come across the border successfully(unchecked).Nevertheless US law requires an export permit(on new scopes).Whether this policy is in effect with used scopes I do not know.As I said there is no dealer I am aware of who will ship new scopes to Canada and that includes Rick,Cabela's,Cameraland and all the others I have tried.I know of 2 Canadian citizens that were checked at border crossing by US Customs before entering Canada and had their scopes(purchased legally in the US)seized because of lack of export permit.They spent several uncomfortable hours talking to US Customs and Homeland security before they were allowed to proceed.Dept of State controls export of firearms parts and scopes.You could check with them. Monashee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even gun stocks and brass are on the list. Homeland security are the new Grinch on the block for hunting shooting hobbyists in Canada.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To legally ship a scope from the USA to Canada,whether it be new or used,an export permit is required from the US authorities.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
To legally ship a scope from the USA to Canada,whether it be new or used,an export permit is required from the US authorities.
That's what I figured.I've been offered several nice scopes by guys from the States on the Campfire,but have always declined because I didn't want to put them at risk. Monashee

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.