Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Mr. keith;
I'm not sure if you would consider this a modern action or not, but it was a Browning B78 in .22-250 before this happened when a .250-3000 cartridge was fired in it. frown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the 2nd photo one can see the threads were wrecked in the action, but interestingly not on the barrel, it looked fine.

The chap never found all of the hammer, the extractor went south as well and while the cocking lever was broken it was still there.

I can't for the life of me recall what shape the butt stock was in, but I believe the fore end was cracked.

Remarkably the chap was OK which we all thought was amazing.

All the best to you in 2010.

Dwayne

Shame what was done to that B78, they are out of production now. That's the first time I've ever heard of a high wall coming unglued.

Hi Tex,

They are making a run of them now. Look on the Browning website under SHOT SHOW specials.

Best,

JM

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by atkinson
I have seen a lot of pictures, never really seen ond go in anyones arms....Have had a sticky bolt, locked up bolt, blown primer, thats about it...but you put 60 grs. of Bullseye in your 30-06 as opposed to H4831 and you will get some fireworks..

I have done some tests to blow up guns in a tire..couldn't blow up a Jap Arisaka no matter what I tried...hard to blow up a Mauser of any kind, they just puff of like a baloon and maybe split at some point, but as intended by Paul Mauser they do not fragment..A M-70 Win. will come apart like a hand granade and fragment all to hell, but it takes and awesome dumb load to blow one up.

P. O. Ackley found the same to be true with the JAP Arisaka's.
He said they were the strongest actions he had ever tested.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Saw a Browning 81 that let go after a fellow loaded it full of Bullseye. Split the action at the threads, barrel went downrange, bolt went back and hit him in the cheek and penetrated the skin and the docs removed it from the back of his neck. Lucky guy to be alive.
dan

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've never been present for one and I'd just as soon pass in the future too. I don't want a 12/20 barrel burst either.

One that should be more widely known - because the book should be more widely read - is reported in The .30-06 by Godfrey. There's a picture of a bolt with sheared locking lugs reported to "give way with a relatively mild 55,000 psi load. That really isn't the whole story though because it says nothing about the half dozen 100,000 + psi loads which were fired the day before."

A strong and well written reminder that over pressure can accumulate until the metal breaks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Hi Tex,

They are making a run of them now. Look on the Browning website under SHOT SHOW specials.

Best,

JM

grin I saw that. They even got rid of the white line recoil pad and claim it will have Grade III/IV wood. Now if they just went back to the old trigger...

One of them in .300 mag would be pretty sweet...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
So it seems the bottom line from all this is not poor quality actions but poor quality operators.

O

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I told a Mexican from Mexico to take my 243 Savage mod. 99 and shoot themselves a deer, and I went to town for some supplies. He got the 243 and a box of 250-3000s shot the deer and said the recoil was very bad and he didn't ever want to shoot it again..I sprung the lever getting it open and finally got the case out..Swaging a 25 caliber bullet ot 243 is tricky at best but the old 99 held together, and I hammered the lever back to working and never looked back..that could have been a real explosion, but wasn't...After that I gave him a .22 rifle to do his hunting with and he never had a failure..:)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ray,

In P.O. Ackley's first book he ran some experiments with using over-size bullets, such as an 8mm in a .30 caliber barrel. He came to the conclusion that the big problem wasn't the bullet going down the smaller bore, but the tight grip the case had on the bullet when (and if) the round was chambered. Evidently standard lead-core bullets will swage down without much difficulty in a slightly smaller bore.

I checked the case dimensions on the .243 and .250 and your Mexican friend would have had to jam about 1/10th inch of the .250 case into the neck of the .243 chamber. The .250 neck with a bullet seated supposedly has a maximum diameter of .286", while the .243 neck is supposed to be .276". This would obviously be possible with a little effort, especially with a slightly oversize neck in the .243 chamber.

Luckily his .250 ammo was without a doubt factory, which is pretty low pressure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine has a Remington 700 chambered in 8mmRemMag, which he once accidentally fired a 338WinMag round in. Didn't hurt the rifle one bit! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ray,

In P.O. Ackley's first book he ran some experiments with using over-size bullets, such as an 8mm in a .30 caliber barrel. He came to the conclusion that the big problem wasn't the bullet going down the smaller bore, but the tight grip the case had on the bullet when (and if) the round was chambered. Evidently standard lead-core bullets will swage down without much difficulty in a slightly smaller bore.

I checked the case dimensions on the .243 and .250 and your Mexican friend would have had to jam about 1/10th inch of the .250 case into the neck of the .243 chamber. The .250 neck with a bullet seated supposedly has a maximum diameter of .286", while the .243 neck is supposed to be .276". This would obviously be possible with a little effort, especially with a slightly oversize neck in the .243 chamber.

Luckily his .250 ammo was without a doubt factory, which is pretty low pressure.

Yep and P.O. reamed the chamber neck for proper clearance and shot some pretty large bullets through undersized bores. Seems as long as the neck releases the bullet and the case seals the chamber you stand a good chance of the bullet managing to make it down range. I have no inclination to follow up his work. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have read that where another problem crops up is when the case is shorter than the chamber, like a .308 cartridge forced into a .30-06 chamber (if you could do it.)

Another example would be a 7 X 57 Mauser in a .270 Win. The case would probably come apart at the unsupported neck, releasing the high pressure gas into the action and magazine well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, but for clarification Ackley did his work with a case and chamber correct for each other and simply reamed the neck for proper clearance of the larger bullet. He then was able to shoot them through a smaller barrel such as a 32 or 33 caliber bullet through a 30 caliber barrel for example with no high pressure signs such as a handloader would look for. If on the other hand the case does not fill, (seal), the chamber there may well be fireworks. As I said before however this is not something I wish to personally test! Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a customer buy a PF Mod 70 in 7mm Rem Mag from me. The rifle worked fine the first year of deer hunting, the second year he tried to save a buck on ammo and the guy in the discount store said he didn't need magnums for deer and sold him a box of 7mm Rem Express shells. The first one destroyed the mag box, floorplate and stock. After pulling big chunck of wood out of his arm I loaned him one of my rifles for the season. I replaced all the broken stuff and the rifle was just fine(he was sighting in on my range). Also went to the Dicount store and told off the salesperson and manager. This was back before everyone sued everyone else.

erich

Last edited by erich; 01/27/10.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.