-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am sure that is more than awesome. You are rock star Kent. Thats really great. I will be mailing you what $ I can. Thank you for going out of your way.
I can you tell Ken will be thrilled.

Everyone/anyone else you is donating thank you as well.

GB1

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ken says hello to all his friends and what he considers his family here. He said he's not in pain just tired and can't rest.

I took the computer over and am frustrated because they have no WiFi, I can't figure it. Ken really want's internet and I'm the worst person to know how to do this, I know nothing of WiFi and neither does Ken. Need help fast, I have to leave tomorrow am for a week and hope to have this resolved today.

Suggestions?

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sent you a PM

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks 300, I'll call in a bit if I can't find an answer here quick. I should say I played with it out in the parking lot and got a weak signal from a retirement community within a mile but it was weak and in and out but better than nothing. Went in the building and the only wifi that even was listed was the center's and they will not, in no terms give out their security or let him use it.

Is there an antenna that will get outside better?

Kent

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Who is Ken Howell? not trying to be rude or anything i just dont know.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken Howell is a giant in the firearms & shooting world.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm just a little stressed trying to solve this in the zero time I have, I forgot to say this.

Ken has been moved to the care center, yesterday actually. I have contact info I will give out to those that want it. He would love a call, anyone, anytime he said, or if you want to send a card.

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know enough about wireless to do anything but get in the way. Don't know if there's an antenna or a booster or what.

Buckley will help out. I'm in Florida and he fixes my stuff from his shop in Missouri when I need help. Usually we get stuff worked out over the phone.

I'm also sending a few shekels your way to help pay for the laptop. Not as much as I'd like but that's how business has been lately.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just talked to Buckley. He can tell you what kind of adapter to buy to pick up the signal that's a mile away with 5 bars of signal strength.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 300Takedown
I don't know enough about wireless to do anything but get in the way. Don't know if there's an antenna or a booster or what.

I'm kind of the same way.

However, can't you get an "air card" through AT&T or whoever is local there?

The way I understand it is that if you can get a cell phone signal, you can get internet. I guess it works the same way? You plug it in a slot or USB port, and it acts as your wireless receiver, so to speak. I'd guess about $40-50 a month, from what I hear. confused

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by krp
Ken has been moved to the care center, yesterday actually. I have contact info I will give out to those that want it. He would love a call, anyone, anytime he said, or if you want to send a card.

PM inbound for info.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'll have to look into that. It'll be a week before I get back.

Just got back from Ken again and the adapter didn't work, no internet this week. I did the best I could.

Hopefully there is a satellite plan that isn't for 2 yrs. I won't be able to have internet access much myself this week. Tom's moving his family to another city this week and also strapped for time.

I'm not giving up. Help looking for options would be appreciated.

Kent

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by krp
Hopefully there is a satellite plan that isn't for 2 yrs.

I'm "thinking" that the air card thing can be done monthly, I think... (yeah, I know, that's twice, but that's how sure I am... confused).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just did a search, and this was one of the first I found.

http://cheapaircards.com/

It looks like you get one for whichever cell service you have (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint..).

Maybe somebody local can tack it on to their account and get it cheaper?

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'll go down to the verizon store when I get back, everything I've seen so far talks about 'plans' so must be long term, I haven't had time to look very much though. If I could get Ken outside I might be able to get a weak signal but right now that is not going to happen, maybe never.

They don't even have land line internet on the one computer in the rec room. You lay there watching TV or lay there, Ken doesn't watch TV.

Thanks for all the help.

Kent

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You're a good man Kent...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm just a guy, I'm here and so is Ken, simple as that.

Got'a go, long drive to LA.

PM Tom or there are other's with Ken's contact info, they can speak up.

Later, Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got off the phone with Ken. As Kent said, he isn't in pain, just tired, ignored by the staff, and can't seem to get any rest.

He still has his sense of humor though. When I said I missed him, he said "I kind of miss me too".

He can't talk too long as the phone gets heavy to hold, but he will welcome anyone that wishes to call.

Anyone wishing to chat with him for a spell can contact me for the info.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Wow. I am late to this thread, and saddened to hear of Ken's circumstances. I spent some happy times visiting with him at the Kalispell gun show and swapping books & stories with him.

Ken is really one of the great ones in the firearms field. All his stories had an overlay of unique humor that made them particularly memorable.

Paladin, I'd appreciate a phone number for him when he gets settled in so I can visit a bit.. .

Jim

Last edited by BlacktailBooks; 02/03/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,

PM sent.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.