Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Have had a local gunsmith put together a semi custom rifle and had some issues with it. I may purchase a high end custom with an all around caliber such as 300 win. There are some real expensive options such as Borden, McMillan, Nesika Bay, Ed Brown and some others. Is a named custom/semi custom the safe route to go for a super accurate gun with good customer service? Might step down a little in round to 280AI. Cooper is another option that would save a bunch of money. I unfortunately do not plan to own a bunch of rifles, just want one real good one to shoot at deer and possibly elk. Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You've opened the door wide for a fun filled thread. Before it gets too crazy you might want to define more clearly the parameters you can deal with, like weight, money, whether you want stainless, CM, synthetic or wood, barrel length, etc, etc. There's a fair number of very talented 'smiths here at 24 Hr that might help you with your endeavor.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had might as well step into the fray before it gets very thick, so this is worth approximately 2 cents. There are quite a few excellent and accurate rifles around here, some semi-custom, some nice miltary conversions and some pretty much as they came from the manufacturer. After having worked with all of those for a long time, must say that if I were going to buy a good hunting rifle today and were looking for the best functioning and most consistently accurate rifle for the amount of dollars spent, it would be the new Savage with accu trigger and accu stock. You can spend a ton more to get some fancy features and a more custom look, but not likely to get improved performance over the Savage - and maybe not as good.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I suppose it depends on which you prefer and what accuracy level you require. You mentioned Cooper for the cost savings. Before you decide, you should go to a Cooper dealer and check out some of the test targets. I've seen some with 3 shot groups between 1/4" and 1/2" with cartridges suitable for most hunting (like a 30-06). If you really want a full custom, go for it. I've spent more than the cost of a Cooper on a custom that didn't look any better or shoot any better than a Cooper.

Last edited by doubletap; 02/02/10.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From the list of makers you cite, it sounds like you are leaning more towards a synthetic stock than a wood, which makes things a bit simpler.

Would suggest keeping open the option of finding a donor action, then you can send it off to someone like PacNor for a barrel and action blueprinting, then order yourself the Mcmillan stock of your choice and that is pretty much it.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen some with 3 shot groups between 1/4" and 1/2" with cartridges suitable for most hunting (like a 30-06).

Aren't Cooper's test targets shot in a 50 yard tunnel?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think they are shot at 42 or 46 yards.

Cooper is a good option and will be a fine rifle and exelent shooter. Going the custom route will give you more of a selection of what you want your rifle to be it will cost more and be about the same as far as accuracy.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If a custom gun is what you want i think you will find you get more for your dollar looking at a nula for 2995.00
or bordens basic rifle starting at 2995.00

both outfits are straight up top notch people to deal with
and one thing with nula is they give you a 30day money back gaurantee if not satified

gene

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of ways you could go, and some of the ways will involve more money than you really need to delve into. I'd most likely go the way of finding a good smith via a good reference from someone you know and trust.

Then I'd get a good action (70 or 700) and a good barrel and a good handle and have him/her do the work for you.

While I've never had either Redneck and or Mickey Coleman from the fire do anywork for me I've heard so many fine things about them that I'd surely consider talking with them.

I'm thinking you could and should be able to have one built from these guys that shoots lights out and in a cost effective manner.

Lastly if you don't wish to go that way then I'd have Melvin (another fine fella) build you one of his NULA's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Set your parameters first If 1/2 MOA will get you by, then some of the higher end factory stuff will do. Just about any 'smith here at the fire can do better as far as wood stocks than you get from OTC crap, but if one tiny hole at 200 for 10 shots doesn't light your fire, then a factory rifle with a decent stockmaker to finish up is the way I'd go. JMHO

Wayne

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I've seen some with 3 shot groups between 1/4" and 1/2" with cartridges suitable for most hunting (like a 30-06).

I don't know if that is correct. I either didn't notice the yardage on the test targets or it isn't shown. The salesman in the store said 100 yards and since I wasn't ready to buy right then, I didn't question that.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
By far, the three BEST gunsmiths for Model 70-type action hunting rifles are:

1. D'Arcy Echols

2. Gene Similion

3. Mark...what's his last name? He works with the two above...

Unfortunately, they are also among the most expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#3 = Mark Penrod

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by mathman

I don't know if that is correct. I either didn't notice the yardage on the test targets or it isn't shown. The salesman in the store said 100 yards and since I wasn't ready to buy right then, I didn't question that.

Your salesman is misinformed there is no yardaged marked on the target so many people assume that the target are shot at 100 yards. Call cooper and ask them how far they shoot there test targets and don't let them BS you they will eventually tell you that the target is shot somewhere in the 46 yard range. Most people will just assume that the target is at 100 yards because that is what we normally measure the accuracy of our rifles at, but that is not what cooper uses.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen it called 50 yards at Sheels...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I Send an action to Pac-Nor, with a check for around $600.00, a note with desired contour and caliber, wait 'bout six-weeks or so, and Wa-la - accurate custom.

It's as close as I can come anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ton264

1. D'Arcy Echols

2. Gene Similion

You left off David Miller...........easily the equal of Echols, the best of the 3 you mentioned.

MM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since I bought my 30-06 NULA my 20+ other hunting rifles have pretty much become safe queens. Light weight, very accurate with factory ammo and just feels right to me. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Lee F.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid"

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned factory rifles for years, then decided I wanted to go custom, what I found is a rifle even a factory one that will shoot .5 moa is a special one and don't think every custom you have built will get there unless its a truck axle barreled custom, I am talking standard hunting rifles here. I went custom because I wanted more accuracy. I got mixed results, including a custom that didn't turn out that great and another one that shoot great with ONE load.

its pretty depressing once you own a tikka, you start to get pissed at all the money you have in customs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ton264

1. D'Arcy Echols

2. Gene Similion

What about Charlie Sisk?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.