Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Any recommendations for a good quality low powered variable scope for a savage combo gun.
Would love to get e Leupold VX-3 in the 1.5-5 x 20, but have seen a Sightron Big Sky SII in 1.25-5 x 20. Are these SII's any good?

They're priced a bit cheaper than a Leupy, but I don't mind paying a bit extra if there is extra quality to be had.

BP-B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just curious, what rings and mounts will you be using?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
What combination in that 24 as well?

And, the SIIs are pretty danged good, IMHO.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
DMB,

already a Weaver style base on the rifle, and was considering using Warne or Leupold QD's. Even with the base attached, you are still able to use the fold up open sights if required.

VAnimrod, the combination it's in is .222rem, and 20g.
I also have one in .22WMR and 20g. That one is an older model, and isn't tapped for bases. It has a dovetail machined from the factory on top, and I'm in the process of fixing a ghost ring sight to it.

Here's a pic of the 22mag/20g after I'd stripped the paint off the stock. Just trying to final fit, sanding and a stain to finish it off.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure like my 1.8-5.5 Conquest. It was only $299 from Doug. However, I believe it's discontinued now, so it might be tricky to find one, or, they might be out there on clearance too I suppose.

Anyway it's an optically spectacular scope. Amazing.

It's also quite long FWIW.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That would be a Zeiss Jeff?

Sounds like you picked up a good buy.
I would like to stick to the style of a shorter scope like the Leupy 1.5-5 x 20, or the SII 1.25-5 x 20.
The rifle currently has an old Bushnell 1x28 red dot on it.
I,ve busted clays with the shotgun whilst the scope is mounted, but wouldn't mind a little more magnification for longer shots with the rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whoops, yes, Zeiss Conquest.

It can overwhelm a small rifle. I have mine on a Model 7. I love it on there; it's woderful in low light, the field of view and eye box are awesome, but it definitly looks funny on the rifle.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several Savage 24 combination guns and like them pretty well.

On the CF 24Vs and 24F, I use the Weaver #74 1-piece base and Leupold QRW rings. Although I like Warne QR rings, I don't like the fact that the cross-bar falls out so easily.

On the RF 24s, I use the B-Square 3/8" dovetail to Weaver adapters with Leupold QRW rings. These sit very low, compared to other brands/styles of grooved receiver adapters that are on the market.

Brownells sells the B-Square adapters for $33, their part # 122-000-011.

I have 2 1.5-4.5x and 6 2-7x scopes mounted on my Savage 24s, mostly old Simmons scopes, #1053 and #1040, plus 2 Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33s with the turkey-plex reticle on a 24v in 223/20 and a 24f in 223/20.

Don't forget to buy an offset hammer spur, in order to cock the hammer, for each Savage 24 that you plan to insall a scope on.

Jeff

PS - I d&t a Savage 24v in 30-30/20 for a Lyman #66 receiver sight, the style for a Remington 760, as an auxillary sight. I generally do better with peep sights then I do with open rear sights.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Aussie.............I`ve got a 1.5-5x20 VX111 for sale right now posted in the classifieds for $365 incl shipping to the lower 48. Don`t know what the rules, regulations and shipping rates are to the land down under or if possible to ship down there for that matter.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Ringworm... love too, but still only 1x magnification.

Jeff (260Remguy) your adapter bases sound intriguing, I'll have to check them out (ordered from Brownells before with no dramas)

I still have the original rings and bases that came with the gun. Can't remember what make they are, it escapes me at the moment. Basically, the base has a post in the centre that a scope ring engages, and is then locke onto the post with hex screws.

I already have a hammer spur on this combo, so no problems there.
I did consider going with a 2-7 x scope, don't think it would be any problems if i did.
Have you used slugs in your 24's?
Was wondering if you can "regulate" the point of impact with the screw that holds the foresight assembly together.
My 20 shoots slugs about 10" lower amd 6" to the right of the 222 POI at 25 yards. Obviously not expecting same POI, but at least in line vertically would be nice. That way I only need to worry about hold over.

bigsqueeze, I saw you ad in the classifieds, and seriously thought about it. It may be problematic to send it if your govt. considers the scope a firearm part, then I would probably need paperwork filled in from your end to get it out of the US. Apart from that, then I think the only problem would be the exorbitant postage to be paid....Beleive me, I know. I have exchanged some Aussie hunting/fishing mags with another campfire member, and we were both shocked at postage prices. Although, I think your rates are slightly (just) cheaper. Still cant see it being too much for a scope though, as they are pretty light and compact.

The other main issue would be one of warranty. Whilst I think Leupold would be pretty decent if I ever had to make a claim, the problem would lie with the fact that Leupold only has one sole importer into this country, and they probably would give me grief if i tried to get them to do the warranty for me. I'd be posting back to Leupold myself.

Still, it I do keep my eyes open on the classifieds.
Cheers.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
no, they make a 2X now. its the shiznit...
Aimpoint 11411
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156232197

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Aussie;

Straight-tube, LOW mounted 2.5x or 3x Leupold M8 or FX-II.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't usually shoot 20 gauge slugs, but have shot the Federal and Remington Foster style and Brennekes. I usually shoot buckshot and birdshot.

I don't think that there is any way to regular the barrels, they are what they are.

Jeff

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Aussie,

FWIW, I have an older 24 22 mag./20 gauge combo with the grooved receiver like yours. I found a set of Weaver 22 "grooved" "see through" mounts that take a 1" scope. The gun is stamped "don't shoot the shotgun barrel with a scope attached" but I thought I'd give it a careful try! It has worked very well. I wanted to try it on jackrabbits where sometimes you get a close range running shot vs a 50-150 yard deliberate sitting shot. I tried carrying the gun in the field with a cartridge/shell in each chamber with the hammer down and the selector set for the shotgun barrel. If the rabbit gets up at my feet, I cock the hammer and look down the 22 mag. barrel over the open sights and shoot as instinctively as possible. If the rabbit stops or I spot it further out, I cock the hammer, switch the selector to the rifle barrel and let her rip!

Like I said, thus far it has worked very well. The recoil is not that great with 20 gauge shells, even high brass, given the heft of the gun. I'm not sure if the 12 gauge might be a different story though! The scope sits a little high on the gun with the "see through" configuration but for deliberate shots it works just fine.

I have a friend that likes to use the phrase "it is what it is", and I find these days that it applies to more than I want to sometimes acknowledge! I think it fits the Savage 24 as well! It's a compromise gun, versatile, a "jack of all trades" type of gun if you want. Every time I catch myself comparing it to my other rimfires or shotguns, I find myself a little disappointed with it's quality of construction, reliability, etc. However, one can not criticize it on it's versatility!

One of my next applications for the 24 will be as a western grouse gun. Flush them and use the shotgun, spot them up in the tree and take their heads off with the 22 mag/scope combo! Seems to me there is no greater waste of a good set of grouse breasts than loading them full of lead if you don't have to!

Good luck!!!

Last edited by lundtroller; 02/05/10.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't usually shoot 20 gauge slugs, but have shot the Federal and Remington Foster style and Brennekes. I usually shoot buckshot and birdshot.

I don't think that there is any way to regular the barrels, they are what they are.

Jeff

I have that problem with mine, a 22RF/20 gage. The 22 RF shoots about 6" hi at 50 yards.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "don't shoot the shotgun barrel with a scope mounted" warning relates to short eye relief .22 scopes, not properly mounted 1" scopes with at least 3" of eye relief. I shoot buckshot and birdshot with my Savage 24s, using the scopes set at 1.5x or 2x.

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.