-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lost a really good dog to coyotes. His name was Licorice and he was a black and white Springer X sneaky neighbor dog mix. Smartest dog I've ever had.

Kept him out at the girlfriend's parent's farm. He liked to roam around the farm at night, and at one point he disappeared for about three days. He came home and his ear was notched and ragged, his shoulder had bite punctures in it, and he had a chunk missin out of his hind right by the ten ring. Girlfriend's mom kept him on the porch for a few nights to let him recoup in comfort.

As soon as he seemed healthy he was let out, and within the week he disappeared again. Found him a week later laying stiff under a spruce tree by the stock pond.

There's plenty of room in the wild for coyotes without letting them get unafraid of people and accustomed to eating domestic animals.

Shoot em up.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TLee's sittin there thinkin...

Glad the cats are in the house!! smile

Yotes love cats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Klll 'em.

Bait them and Kill 'em.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a club (fat end of a pool cue in a special homemade holster) for trapped animals also, but still prefer to shoot trapped skunks anyway. A rifle is handy when you see something that is not in a trap yet, or eating what you already caught when you approach. With coyotes, often the rest of the pack may be lingering in the vicinity of one that is caught as well. I've probably shot nearly as many while checking traps as I caught in the traps. I like checking traps at night better for coon too, you can shine the trees while you are hiking your trap line. I guarantee, I've shot a lot more coons this way than I've caught, and I've caught many.

Well that and it is dark here anyway in the winter shortly after work.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003

Yup. One friend lets his cats out in the day, but not at night. Behind his back fence is an open field. One afternoon he's in the back yard and sure enough his cat came barreling over the fence at full tilt, not relaxed as he would normally be. He hears a commotion in the brush, looks over the fence and sees it was a yote that was trying to get his cat.

He had neighbors on either side, so popped the yote with a .22 short and it dropped after a few steps. He drove his pickup into the field, tossed it in the back, and disposed of it outside of town. No one was the wiser.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smokepole, I'd be careful about that -- That big yellow dog looks like he could whip a coyote if he caught it, but one of these days he's going to run into a coyote ambush where several of them are waiting, then they'll turn and fight.

As long as you can call him back no matter what, and keep him close enough that you can run that far very quickly, that'll help, but if he's chasing them out there several hundred yards, even a rifle, or the sound of one, sometimes will be of little use.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003

My daughters barn cats are smart, they sleep on the roof or top of the truck. When we see em doing it I get the rifle, light and wait. Works every time!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm told this by guys who hunt coyotes with dogs that Airedales are hell-on-wheels to coyotes. Don't no why but I guess they can hold their own and will tear 'em up real bad. I even hear some sheep operations use Airedales to protect the sheep.

You need a couple of Airedales to protect the Jack Russel from the 'yotes.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a Pitbull who hates cats, and they always try to encroach on my property, so he often has cats to chase. When we're sleeping in the house at night, cats sleep on top of my car. I always wondered why they do that. Every morning, my car and front windshield are covered with cat paw prints.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm told this by guys who hunt coyotes with dogs that Airedales are hell-on-wheels to coyotes. Don't no why but I guess they can hold their own and will tear 'em up real bad. I even hear some sheep operations use Airedales to protect the sheep.

You need a couple of Airedales to protect the Jack Russel from the 'yotes.
I was going to suggest that too, i.e., a big tough dog to protect his little buddy while he's out there.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to run Irish Wolfhounds and Greyhounds -- they win because, the fastest dog is usually the lightest, and just trips up the 'yote -- before they know it, four or five dogs are on it before the fight even starts or the coyotes can get organized. Then the dogs are after the next 'yote, and so on. If one Greyhound gets in a fight with one coyote, the dog will usually win, but gets some battle scars in the process (we never ever run just one dog, but once in a while, one dog gets way ahead while the others were busy). It doesn't hurt to have a Dobe or a Pit along too. They can't keep up with the sight hounds, but put an end to things quickly when they do get there not that many seconds later, if the whole coyote pack turns. They seldom do though, and don't fight that well when they are too busy running away. And of course, we are not that far behind with pickups, and/or dirt bikes or snow machines as well as rifles and shotguns.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I watched a guy running yotes with greyhounds in Kansas a few years ago. He used around 3-5 hounds and 2 dobies. the hounds would break up a pack, get em down , and the dobies normally came in and did the heavy work..interesting to watch.

A pit would probly be a better finisher, but I think it would be over by the time they got there..I was impressed how the dobies kept up with the hounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I osmetimes visit my farm in TN which is 80 acres and surrounded by countryside...coyotes are prominent up there as well. I often wonder whats going to happen when I let my 90 pound German Shepherd out to run around in the morning or at night and he runs into 1 or 2 of these things

Last edited by SAKO75; 02/07/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
Just got back from the morning walk with this guy, his favorite thing in the world to do is chase coyotes into the next county. This morning he chased one down into a swamp, around in the swamp for a few minutes, and then up the hill and over on the other side, about a half-mile. I didn't have a camera but I've caught him a few other times:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I take him to a couple of local spots, and he's good at cutting a trail, flushing 'em out, and chasing but they're fast enough that he rarely catches up except on an old one or in deep snow. They always run unless there's more than two, then they'll stand to fight. He's been in a few scrapes but I'm always close by and they don't hang around when I come running up yelling like a madman.

We have too many around here and they tend to lose their fear of humans and dogs; the way I look at it, we're just performing a public service by putting the fear back in 'em.

But can you believe it, I've had people try to lecture me about "wildlife harassment" when they see him chasing one.

Nice looking Golden.I am going to get another one this Spring. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know those pits are tough Hawkeye, but I still wouldn't put just one into a pack of coyotes either -- even if he killed most of them, and somehow survived, it would still be a mess. That not letting go instinct would be a handicap to the pit in this instance.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
After a small girl was attacked in the next county some residents started jambing a large treble hook on a steel lead into a small chicken carcass and hang them from a tree high enough the coyotes have to jump to get it. They swear by the method.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
TDC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, my dog is pretty sore and stiff. I guess she got roughed up pretty good although I only found the one puncture wound. There is no doubt that she stood and tried to take them on. She has been in several fights with big female dogs and she is always the aggressor (she likes male dogs). She is lucky that I heard the commotion or she would probably be dead right now. She wasn't as easy a meal as the coyotes had hoped though. I'm hoping to get a chance to take them out. We have always had big dogs in the past. My last one died about 3 yrs ago, but she likely would have just ran back to the house anyway and left the fighting up to my little one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami
I used to run Irish Wolfhounds and Greyhounds -- they win because, the fastest dog is usually the lightest, and just trips up the 'yote -- before they know it, four or five dogs are on it before the fight even starts or the coyotes can get organized. Then the dogs are after the next 'yote, and so on. If one Greyhound gets in a fight with one coyote, the dog will usually win, but gets some battle scars in the process (we never ever run just one dog, but once in a while, one dog gets way ahead while the others were busy). It doesn't hurt to have a Dobe or a Pit along too. They can't keep up with the sight hounds, but put an end to things quickly when they do get there not that many seconds later, if the whole coyote pack turns. They seldom do though, and don't fight that well when they are too busy running away. And of course, we are not that far behind with pickups, and/or dirt bikes or snow machines as well as rifles and shotguns.

I want to hang with you. laugh

PS Doberman Pinschers are the fastest breed of dog that wasn't bred for either racing or coursing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
I watched a guy running yotes with greyhounds in Kansas a few years ago. He used around 3-5 hounds and 2 dobies. the hounds would break up a pack, get em down , and the dobies normally came in and did the heavy work..interesting to watch.

A pit would probly be a better finisher, but I think it would be over by the time they got there..I was impressed how the dobies kept up with the hounds.

Many Dobes can outrun a Greyhound for the first hundred or so yards -- think Quarter Horses and big butt muscles, but Greyhounds always win on the long run ( like Thoroughbreds). Just a general educated guess, but I could picture at 1000 yrds out, the Dobes only being 100 yrds or less behind the Greyhounds, and the Pit only a hundred more behind the Dobes (a tall Pit). At the speed they move, still way faster than anybody could run, they close that 200 yrds pretty quickly when TSHTF.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rosco1
Yep, again, Dobermans are the fastest running breed of dog besides those breeds specially bred for coursing or racing.

As for Pitbulls and speed, you'd be surprised at how fast they can run. When mine was in his prime, he outran just about every other dog in the dog park (I have video of this, and one day I'll post it if I can figure out how to get it from VHS to my computer). One day only he and one other dog showed up at the dog park, and the other dog was a Greyhound. My dog was thoroughly frustrated by the fact that he couldn't even come close to keeping up with him, let alone outrun him (that was a first for him), but then the Greyhound was bred for nothing else.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.