Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Youper
Jim, I wish our good will store was a well stocked as yours.

Youper, like Jim says it depends on what part of the country you are in for some of the stuff, just like garage sales. You don't find many used crab pots in Kansas. I have several thrift stores within reasonable range and drop in once in awhile on several. One of them almost never has anything of outdoor clothing interest to me, several are OK but one of them is almost always a gold mine. This is in a strip from Seattle to the lower Mainland of BC. I decided not to say which store is so loaded with good wool and also other outdoor clothing! Often there is ski and mountaineering/climbing clothing in it, plus ironically, some superb wool dress pants.

A round about way of saying that you have to keep an eye open all year round when shopping used stuff, rather than just go buy retail. Well worth it. I hit a big thrift store yesterday, first one in months, and didn't find a single item of interest to me, though if I was short on wool dress pants for hunting, there was one pair that would do. The best store is so consistently good that I've cogitated some on why that store has so much good stuff and suspect it is local demographics: lots of high end yuppy spenders nearby who dress well in the office and on the slopes.

For the cheap pants, I have stagged them off in the bush with a hunting knife a time or two when they were too long. As I posted previously on this thread, (I think) I now leave some of the pant legs long and put a light bungee cord in the hem/cuff tight enough to stretch tight around my boot top to keep stuff out. The pant needs to be a bit long and loose to do this, so that when you lift a knee high on a steep slope, it doesn't pull the pant hem off of your boot top.

Miss Treated: thank you for the tip on washing wool!

GB1

B
B
Great topic WOOL
I am a lover of wool from NH and I just have to say that I too almost look forward to cold weather so I can woolup and get out there. From hunting and now to cutting fire wood its a great time. Now my 2 cents on how to stay warm and comfortable.

Number one is the base layer. I start with Minus33 boxers, and a wool tee shirt. These are great and I wear this stuff at least 8-9 months a year.
For fall I then use a mid weight long johns and mid weight top
If it colder than that I move right into the heavy weight (400g/m) top and bottom
Throw in a wool plaid shirt (green and black) and your good to go

The Filson 24 oz bib overall and a Mackinaw is my outer layer. I would rather have several layers than just one heavy layer so even the 24 oz is a bit on the heavy side.

Last year at �20 I did double up with a light weight bottom and a heavy weight bottom.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the Campfire!

Always good to hear from another guy from NH. Live Free Or Die in the Granite State!

Jeff

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a pair of Filson's that are excellent, but sometimes too heavy. I bought two pairs of Swedish Army wool pants at the surplus that were new. They are a little lighter in weight and I prefer them to the Filsons. They have a crease that will not go away, and they are of the highest quality. I think they were $20.00 a pair. Filson's have cargo pockets, Swedes don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm at 20+ years on my main pair of surplus pants. I doont know what nationality. I use them for hunting and skiing (downhill) so they are not babied! I did just "rebuild" the crotch on them though.

Easily the best $20 I've ever spent on clothing.

I guess I should try and figure out what country made these and see if I can find another pair. They are high-quality felted wool, cargo pockets, with cotton liner everywhere they touch skin. My only beef is the single layer of fabric on the butt. For both skiing and hunting purposes I've wished for "more" there, and even considered paying my seamstress to modify them...

There are four categories of outdoor wear that are indisputably highly functional. One is the advanced polypro stuff- like Capilene. Another is fleece; cavemen would've given their left nut for the simple, effective, cheap poly fleece we have now. Another is the breathable, almost-waterproof shell (note "almost"!)... finally there's good ol' wool.

Pretty impressive that sheep fur can hang with the best modern technology has to offer!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
a question for you learned shoppers:

where does one find surpluss wool pants in xl size?

thanks

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
It is getting very difficult to find used military wool. Most countries have moved to high tech fibers. I currently use Swedish wool pant, but my all time favorite was the German wool. I can't find them anywhere.

I outgrew the German stuff. Never could wear it out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Johnson Woolen Mills of Vermont - the best!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sportsman's Guide had some E. German wool a few months a go.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.