Print Thread
Hop To
D
D2Junky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have run across a Uberti Low Wall in 30-30 on the used rack. The wood is not stellar but it's calling my name and its been there a while. Anybody with any experience with one of these and what's a fair price on the used market in excellent shape?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Theyare good little rifles but they come in a wide range of configrations which greatly affect the price.

Octagon or round barrel?

Pistol grip or straight grip?

Single trigger or double sets?

Crecent rifle buttplate of shogun plate??

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
How much is it?? There are a bunch of Winchester and Browning Low Walls floating around out there. I just bought a Browning in 45 Colt. I looked at the Uberti's, but when I compared the price to the Browning it was no contest to me. Life is too short to shoot and hunt with an ugly Low Wall grin. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 02/08/10.

West By God Virginia
D
D2Junky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Heavy round barrel.

Straight "perch belly" type grip

Double set triggers.

Crescent buttplate with trapdoor.

It looks to me to be a little high at 850 to me but it's been sitting there a while.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well Hogs head, to each his own.Not a darn thing wrong with the Ubertis, IMHO, and I have owned several of both brands..

The Ubertis are nearly EXACT REPLICAS of the 1885 action. The internal parts and takedown is nearly identical.

That CANNOT be said for the Miroku made 1885s (Brownings and current Winchester).They are completely differnt inside and one needs special tools just to take the damn things apart for cleaning.

The current made Ubertis are no "uglier" than the old standard grade Winchesters in terms of their overall look and the Brownings are a bit too "Weatherby" looking in terms of their finish and wood for most folks who like the orgional 1885 rifles.

Aslo NONE of the Browing Miroku guns were ever offered with a set trigger either single or double set.

And ,BTW, most of the Miroku made Brownings you mention START at $1,000 for a decent speciman sice most of them have not been made for nearly ten years now.

Last edited by jim62; 02/09/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by D2Junky
Heavy round barrel.

Straight "perch belly" type grip

Double set triggers.

Crescent buttplate with trapdoor.

It looks to me to be a little high at 850 to me but it's been sitting there a while.

I have never seen one with the round barrel ,double sets and crescent. Usually the round barrel guns are 28" barreld with a flat buttplate.

If it's been there a while, offer 'em a bit less, see if they will take it.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can honestly say that it hurts me when I have to buy a foreign made Low Wall that is an American traditional rifle. No doubt about that. Having a Japanese Low Wall is not a source of pride for me. However I wanted one in either 44 magnum or 45 Colt, so I shopped. I shopped for about 2 months before I found the one I wanted. I paid $850 for my 45 Colt Low Wall. I could not find a Uberti at that price. I looked at and handled several Uberti's(I own a couple Uberti's). The rifle was well made-no doubt. But they were UGLY. The wood was so plain that some of them did not even look like Walnut, and the finish was bad---at best. And the wood to metal was acceptable, but definitely not well done.

If I put the Browning and the Uberti on the same table I would guarantee that every person would pick up the Browning-not the Uberti. And when you are spending that much you should be able to carry your firearm with pride-not disdain because you had to settle. Just my opinion. Tom.

[Linked Image]

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hogghead.

If those 10 folks actually knew anything about the origional 1885 actions and how much different the Brownings are inside in terms of their design compared to the orgionals, a LOT less of them may choose the Browning than you think.

People also buy guns for the DESIGN and the way it works not just exterior looks.

I have never seen a Uberti with bad wood to metal fit- ever.Some are better than others but I have never seen one that I considered bad.Most of the ones I have owned and seen have the wood fitted so snug you could not even see any gaps -period. They are darn sure fitted every bit as well as any Browning.

Also, the modern Brownings have a LOT simpler inletting pattern. The Ubertis have the ORGIONAL style knuckle shaped receiver head.

I build stocks for a living. I have made patterns and milled stocks for both styles for 20 years now. The Brownings are a LOT easier to fit a stock to than an orgional 1885 design like the Uberti. Lots of folks also do not like the "Bar Ditch" free floating gap on the Browning forends, either.

The Cyanide "case colors" on the Browning are just a finish, it is not real case coloring. The Uberti finish is real.The fake Cyanide crap on some of the Brownings looks as cheap to most folks as the cherry red stained European walnut on the Ubertis ever could..

Like you said, to each his own.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It sounds to me like you really know what you are talking about. No doubt, and for that you have my respect. However I believe my comments were more to the regards of "hunting with an ugly rifle". I have looked at and handled several Uberti rifles. And so far they have been "ugly rifles". This is just my opinion. But I am spending my money.

I do appreciate what you say about the internal differences of the rifle. And I also do believe what you say. However very few people will ever know, or even care about those differences.

My main comment concerns the wood, and the finish on the wood. And IMO they use as plain of a grade of wood as they can find, and again IMO the finish is second rate. As I stated above I believe Uberti makes a fine weapon(functionally). However for the prices they charge I believe they should spend a little time and effort on the aesthetics. Just my opinion.

If I offended you then please accept my apology. ButI thought opinions are what forums are about?? My Browning 1885's, 1886's, and B-78's are all good shooters and have preformed well for me over the years. And I would buy a Uberti if they would just upgrade the wood. Tom.

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Opinions are fine by me as long as they are based on fact and not ingnorance and/or blind predudice..

While we are speaking about opinions, let's talk about 'net ettiquette....The origional poster here asked if the gun he was looking to buy was priced too high FOR A UBERTI.

He did not ask for someone to come on the thread and schit all over Uberiti 1885s with "My Browning is better than any Uberti" posts.

As to be my being offended.. I am not. Just frustrated by your weak agrument against the Ubertis based on mostly style points.

I am glad you like your Browning - GOOD FOR YOU...My point is if you are going to look down your nose at the Ubertis, at least put on some glasses and really LOOK at (and understand) what you are schitting all over.

In the late 1990s I had the chance to buy DOZENS of guns just like yours. They were the first "Traditional Hunter" models.I bought guns from a big Browning distributor in the OKC area and at the time, they had STACKS of them to look though. They never did anything for me.

I owned Browning 1885 High walls, low walls in the regular sporter and a few BPCR models. I wanted something other than a rifle chambered for revolver cartridge with iron sights. I have a B-92 44 mag. Fully loaded it weighs only 6.25 lbs and holds 9 or 10 shots. I did not need an iron sighted low wall in the same caliber.

Around 1999,I bought one of the Miroku made Winchester marked Low walls in 22 LR. Denny Wilcox, a design engineer who worked for Browning/USRAC at the time reworked your rifle's design a bit comsetically so it would look more like an orgional low wall. I wanted a .22 LR for practice BPCR matches,so I bought one. It did not shot any better than an off the rack 10/22 so I sold it.

About 8 years later I bought the Uberti Low Wall below in 22LR. It was bought sight unseen NIB for $695. I converted it to cock on loading like the orgionals, as out of the box, the Ubertis go to half cock on loading like the old low wall Winder muskets.

The fit and finish on this gun is so good that the only thing that restocking it would improve is putting different grain in the wood.There is not a gap in the inletting you could fit a cigarette paper in. As you can see the grain in the buttstock is some nice quarter sawn sunburst figure, so why mess with that? ..

As to the wood color, they vary. Some have streaking in them more like American black and some are an even cherry red color like mine.

This gun also really shoots well. A lot of the Ubertis do. One of the very first guns imported in this model beat all comers at the 2002 BPCR Silhoutte Nationals at Raton in the 2/5 reduced scale rimfire matches the first year it was held..

The young man from texas borrowed one of these from a freind and won the whole thing. I have never forgotten that. He beat a lot of the Winchester /Miroku .22 lr guns and a WHOLE slug of high dollar custom barreled .22LR rifles made by some of the best in the business.

Ubertis are not perfect, but they are actually a good, tradtional m1885 for the $$ spent,IMHO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 02/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Somebody must have really pissed in your Cheerios.

I make a comment about the looks of a rifle, and you infer that I am knocking the function of a Uberti?? And I did not do that. So reread the posts before you infer such things.

And I like to hunt with a nice looking rifle. Well call me COOKY for that. However most people would rather carry a good looking rifle. So I guess that makes me ignorant with blind prejudice??

And where did I say my Browning was "better" than the Uberti. I said it was a better looking piece and for the money Uberti charges that they should put a better grade of wood on the rifle, and do a better job on finishing the wood!! Well I bet 9 out of 10 people would agree with me on that.

Now I realize I am a new guy here. And I do not mean to stir up a hornet's nest with just 15 posts. However I am quit sure that I apologized if my comments were offensive?? But then maybe you are to big of a man to accept an apology?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Applogy accepted.

Enjoy your Browning. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
S
S
Hey Folks,.. New to this forum, but thought i would check it out. Have read the Thread, and logged in to add to it. There have been a Few Topics mentioned that would indeed make for a careful decision... Although i have not yet owned a Low Wall, or High wall, I Have owned a couple Ubertis in the Past, in the Sharps Model 1874. Though i have'nt owned a High or Low Wall, I have shot a number of them, and Have had No Complaints about the functionability of ANY of them, Uberti Browning or otherwise.. The Appearence of a Gun, can be a deciding factor in Many things, But i am a Believer that if the Gun is Calling Your Name,... Dicker a Li'l on the price, and Grab it... Guns, pick their Partners. If it Shoots Good, and is in Good condition, there is No reason why it Should'nt Bring You Years of enjoyable Shooting.
SnglShot

Snglshot
D
D2Junky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the comments guys. May drive by again today and see if it's still sittin there. This is a pretty rare caliber in this gun from what I gather from my googling......but that's not what interests me. It is extremely well fitted. The wood is rather plain and the forearm is a touch darker than the butt. The case colors are beautiful.....it's not a chambering I would pick if I were to order such a gun but it's also the chambering I used to kill the nicest whitetail I have personally ever taken. Think I just might take it....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.