Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have an opportunity to purchase a Leupold 12-40x60 Gold Ring spotting scope, non HD, for $600. I can purchase the HD model for $750.

I plan to use the scope for hunting, no photography. I really don't care if the color of the animal is one tiny shade off, but I do care how much detail I can resolve.

Is the HD worth $150 more?

Is either worth these prices, or is there a better way to go for under $1000?

GB1

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
You could buy my Kowa TSN 664 with 20x60 zoom and case for $850 plus shipping. Do the research yourself. Kowa is a MUCH better scope. I just don't use it anymore.
Ted

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by zeisstwice
You could buy my Kowa TSN 664 with 20x60 zoom and case for $850 plus shipping. Do the research yourself. Kowa is a MUCH better scope. I just don't use it anymore.
Ted

zeisstwice is right on the money. The Kowa 664 is superb.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the leupold and as a hunting spotter its tuff to beat, if you wear glasses its unbeatable even by the big 3 german companies.

I hear alot of people recommend kowa, the thing that is surprising is hardly anyone sells them, I have never seen a kowa spotter, I live in utah probably the hunting capital of the US and we actually need and use spotters around here, NO KOWA's around here.

another nice thing about the leupold is the form fitting case, It works great to just drop the scope in a back pack or duffle bag, I have only needed to clean the lenses twice in about 5 years the case keeps um clean.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd like to know where I can get a Leupold GR, 12-40X60 HD for $750. I'd buy it right now.
That spotter as well as their smaller 50mm where mentioned by Phil Shoemaker as the scopes that his guides actually took up on the mountain by his guides after they played with their clients "better" scopes. Apparently the long eye relief, compact design and light weight complete with a similar tripod makes it a favorite.
I'm sure there are better spotting scopes. But for a hunter on foot in the mountains, this one has long been a favorite. E

IC B2

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Far be it from me to offend someone from "the hunting capital of the US", but just because you can't find a Kowa scope in Utah (ever try the internet?) does not mean that they are not great scopes. BTW, many spotting scopes feature form fitting cases, including Kowa.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had both scopes in question. For hunting they are hard to beat. The HD was just a little brighter to my eye. Those are great prices you cant go wrong with either. If it were me I would go with the HD. I sold mine and went with a leica televid for a little more magnification. I do sometimes miss the compactness and lightweightness of my HD leupold thought. Bottom line you cant go wrong, as they are great scopes. I wish leupolod would add a little more magnification to this same exact size scope. FWIW

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Unless I am mistaken, the best price I can find on the Kowa is $950 and that does not include an eyepiece. Is that correct?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't believe Doug sells Kowa so I'll post a link. Be sure to click the right configuration you want. I just put in the 664 kit with zoom eyepiece.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/kowa-66-high-performace-spotting-scopes.html

I know zeisstwice was interested in selling his Kowa 664. You may want to PM him. Hope this helps.

That being said, if I could find a Leupy Gold Ring HD spotter for $750 I'd jump all over it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both and the Kowa is optically better but if forced to chose just one for all my hunting needs I would choose the Leupold. As for the HD being worth an addition $100 - if you dont' plan on digiscoping I would say no.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the link. I ended up at $1086 for the TNS664 with zoom eyepiece.

The Leupold HD at $750 sounds like a pretty good deal for what I'm looking for. I ultimately plan to buy an 80mm Swarovski so small size and weight is important for this scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is a great deal for the HD or the non HD. I have zero experience with the Kowa but could not be happier with my Leupold (in non HD). If I'd have found an HD version for $750 I'd be all over it.

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by zeisstwice
Far be it from me to offend someone from "the hunting capital of the US", but just because you can't find a Kowa scope in Utah (ever try the internet?) does not mean that they are not great scopes. BTW, many spotting scopes feature form fitting cases, including Kowa.

I am not saying they are a bad scope, I have never seen a kowa spotter anywhere, doug doesn't sell them, the metro area I live in has 2 million people, has cabelas and sportsman's wharehouse along with nearly every pickup truck being 4x4 and having some kind of hunting sticker on it. kowa may be great but their dealer network sucks.

we glass canyons as far as the eye can see, we ACTUALLY use spotters around her for more than the target range. I have looked at them all, zeiss, swaro, leica, IMO as a hunting scope the leupold HD goldring is a tuff one to beat when the overall package is looked at.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in utah probably the hunting capital of the US
Right... wink The limited opportunity in this state makes makes UT far from that IMO. 'Course I don't have a hunting sticker on my truck either, while not kissing a man level of gay is getting up there... wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pointer
I live in utah probably the hunting capital of the US
Right... wink The limited opportunity in this state makes makes UT far from that IMO. 'Course I don't have a hunting sticker on my truck either, while not kissing a man level of gay is getting up there... wink
What?

Golden............
Ted, is your Kowa still for sale?
Vance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you buy a a Kowa be darn sure you want it, because if you don't like it it will most likely be hard to sell. Most people haven't even heard of Kowa and hardly anyone carries them.

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they had them at barney's chalet in anchorage, the last time I was there......course' not many folk in alaska hunt, but oddly you can buy a 454 casull pistol at wal-mart there

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.