24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Seems to be a low price - must be a reason. Junk parts???

ARIC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You should buy that one on gunbroker.com for $650.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get a basic kit from Delton or Model one for $450, and stripped lowers are under $100. Assembling a lower is no big deal, and you'll have a basic AR for $550, with the items missing from the sportical.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No forward assist on the sportical. How are you going to give the bolt a little push when it's a little dirty out in the field. That's why I didn't purchase one.

Ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by firearms44
No forward assist on the sportical. How are you going to give the bolt a little push when it's a little dirty out in the field. That's why I didn't purchase one.

Ken
You'll notice on the bolt carrier, there's a little portion that's dished out right where it meets the ejection port; this is the original forward assist. Just push it with your thumb and all is good. Of course, if you use the correct ammunition, lubricate the rifle, and never let the bolt down lightly, you're unlikely to ever need to do this.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've only used the FA, to assist me in quietly chambering a round when needed, and I've even pushed on the recess a few times instead.

Of course if it was a rely my life on rifle, I would insist on having just because...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ppc_shooter
Seems to be a low price - must be a reason. Junk parts???
I really don't have any complaints about DPMS. There are many whom are critical, because the DPMS may encounter issues in a carbine course. Well, my thought is, if you're trying to buy a combat rifle, you should be buying a Colt's because they are truely military grade. Everything else is just a range toy or a sporting rifle. As the name implies, the Sportical is a sporting rifle and as such, it's a good rifle at a good price. I consider DPMS sporting rifles that can double for defense work, rather than a front line fighting rifle. I've been giving serious consideration to a DPMS myself; but I have real fighting rifles already.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

I ran a DPMS at ThunderRanch.

Another student ran a Colt.

He had stoppages. I did not.

The difference is that I took my rifle to a US Army and Colt trained armorer. The guy has about 30 years experience with the AR under all conditions (including his own combat tours as a grunt).

He stripped my rifle down completely and re-assembled it with attention to the issues that actually arise under stress. Once "proofed" my rifle ran flawlessly.

BTW-He said that he has no issues with DPMS. A couple of tweaks and it was ready to rock.

In contrast the Colt went straight from the box, to the range for sight in, about 500 rounds break in (plinking) and then to ThunderRanch.

The fact that it was a Colt did not make it magic. The fact that mine was a DPMS did not cause a failure.

Each gun is an individual and must be dealt with as such.

DPMS uses good parts and assembles them well.

That being said, a sportical is 100% low dollar parts. It does not even come with sights. It is not combat ready. But it is a solid, low end AR.

Add a decent scope and go have fun.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A good friend of mine recently purchased a DPMS Sportical 5.56. At the time he ordered the Sportical I suggested he also order a Free Float Tube to replace the Plastic Handguards since I have the tools needed to do this.

Well we replaced the Plastic Handguards with a DPMS Vented Aluminum Carbine Length Free Float Tube and did a "15 Minute Trigger Job" on it. In addition to the "15 Minute Trigger Job" we also used a 1/4X28 TPI set screw screwed in in front of the Grip Bolt to preload the trigger to eliminate most of the pretravel (turned the set screw in until there is no play in the trigger when the safety is applied).

My buddy is using ammo he got from me (55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895 in LC Brass with CCI-400 Primers) and is consistantly getting 3/4" 5 shot groups at 150 yards. Plus he is yet to have a malfunction of any kind.

My friend has taken several Coyotes with this Sportical now and you'd be hard pressed to convince him there is a better AR.

NOPE they may not be for everyone but for a Hunting Carbine my friend is sure happy.

Larry

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am about as novice as one can get when it comes to the AR type rifle. I had the itch for something new, did not need another hunting rifle, nor any type of pistol, so I bought the DPMS, plain jane, no sights. I have shot it about 200 times so far, both factory 55 grain solids and reloads with Remington 55 solids. I have not had any type of malfunction, nothing. I mounted a 3x9 scope, groups have not been great, I tend to have three shots close and flyer. The trigger has a great deal of creep, something I am not use to on my hunting rifles. With a better trigger I think the rifle would shoot pretty well.

IC B3

Solid rifle, mine shoots very well (5/8-1.00) Unless you are using it in a tact. capacity, the forward assist is not really an issue, plus its very light weight. I can honestly say that coyotes hate this rifle.

Better a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Prov 17:1

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.