Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What a great find! Bill Sukalle was certainly one of the best back in the day and if JOC endorsed him then he was good!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BobinNH

......and you gotta have no brains in your skull if you don't like the 7x57. wink

Gotta save that one....

For when nasty rumors of .270s rear their ugly heads..... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I arrived at a deer camp in central Alberta with a pre 64 M70 chambered for 300H&H.....at the obligatory sighting in session, the guides and outfitter(all in their 20's)asked "What's a 300 H&H?"....this was a clear sign that I was older than them frown

I told them it's the cartridge their 300 Weatherby's are made from;tried to get them to let me shoot the Holland case in their rifles but no go.......one said if the 300 Weatherby replaced it, the H&H couldn't be any good.....Besides the 300 Weatherby was invented by Roy Weatherby........mmmm....

Five days later,after I had tagged out,one of them used my rifle to fill his tag on a beautiful 10 point buck at about 300 yards.....he commented...."That cartridge may be old...but it sure does work good!" smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by GA270
In 1985 I bought a custom 7 X 57 built on an FN Mauser action with a Sukalle barrel from a friend for $250 (with a very large Redfield scope), which was what he'd paid for it at a pawn shop in West Palm Beach, Florida. The pawn shop didn't know what it was, my friend didn't know what it was, and I didn't know what it was, either. I was just getting into deer hunting, and I wanted the leasy expensive gun I could get. After I moved further north, I took it to a gunsmith in Jacksonville to ask if I could shoot handloads through it (factory ammunition was seriously downloaded to prevent accidents in someone used a 92-97 model of Mauser), and he didn't know what it was, either. He was all into wildcats and had contempt for any factory round. All I wanted was a .270 until the internet arrived and then I found out that I had a prize in this little Mauser. I still have it, and it's poison on Georgia whitetails using 140-grain handloads at 2,900 FPS. I have other rifles now, including more customs, but I'm still partial to the 7 X 57, and killed my largest-ever deer with it a few seasons back. But I 've given up explaining what it is to my hunting buddies. I just say "7 MM" and let it go at that. The most anyone has ever said about the gun? "Nice scope" (old Leupold VX II that I had camo-coated).

With that Sukalle barrel, I bet you could get 10 times your original purchase price for that rifle, providing it's in good shape. Please keep it, use it, and pass it on to your children and grandchildren. They will remember that sweet rifle long after they forget you. Unlike Rodney, that gun gets nothin' but respect from me.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
I own a Ruger M77 TS 7x57 that gets no respect from many in the hunting and shooting community. The Ruger has been accused of not shooting tight groups out of the box, trigger needs a gunsmith's help, barrel needs to be free floated, barrels are no good and it has a long throat. In a sentence it is a piece of crap. ...

Yesterday I stopped by Gander Mountain to pick up a Savage rifle that had been sent back to the factory for warranty work. There were Remington and Savage and Browning rifles galore on the racks but I think I could have counted the Ruger rifles on one hand. Typical.

Pictures of my Ruger targets have been posted enough I won�t bother again here. Suffice it to say that all of my Rugers are shooters. Last weekend (or the weekend before?) I was shooting clay pigeons on the 600 yard line with my 7mm RM. Only got one hit but I�d never shot the 7mm beyond 500 yards before and I only took 3 shots. (And the misses didn�t miss by enough to matter if I�d been shooting an antelope or even a coyote.)

Yes, I�ve polished up the triggers and floated the barrels (with the exception of my .22-250 VT, which came with a target trigger and already floated). And yes, some have long throats. The stocks are sometimes not as pretty as on some other makes but the walnut is real and a couple of the Rugers I saw at Gander yesterday had very nice stocks. My synthetic �canoe paddle� stocked .300 WM really gets some odd looks from the �pretty is better� crowd but I�m more of a functional-minded person and that stock is dang near indestructible. The Ruger scope mounting system is, IMHO, the best around for my purposes - a mule, a log, my Ruger 7mm RM as a cushion and two broken ribs convinced me of that back in the �80�s.

As far as I�m concerned the Ruger M77 and MKII action designs are one of the best (arguably THE best) commercial instantiations of the Mauser design. They certainly fill my need for a rugged, reliable and affordable action. If you look in my safe you will find more Rugers than all other bolt guns combined. They may not get any respect, but the bolt handles don�t come off, I�ve never broken an extractor or pulled the extractor through a case rim, the scopes are easily and quickly changed if one leaves the rings on the scopes, and they shoot great.

They get my respect, and that�s all that matters when I�m voting with my dollars.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My first center fire rifle I bought was this 760 30-06. My son, "High Brass", now owns it. He's been asked "why did you put a Leupold on that?". Here in WV 760's are respected. In NC they seem to be almost unknown.

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.