24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a lot of very talented gun builders out there who make solid, reliable rifles that an average working man can afford and for the majority of us that is all we need. One aspect that is seldom mentioned when buying any custom rifle is to find out exactly the type of hunting experience the builder has. Because they make a super accurate rifle that works for sniping deer across a beanfield does not mean that that same rifle will hold up in Africa or Alaska.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ray,

I agree with you that to us a 'custom' is a fine rifle with a walnut stock. Perhaps indeed a plastic stocked rifle can cost to win some match however my heart is with the beauty of the fine traditional rifle.

[Linked Image]

Besides the artisans mentioned above is a masterpiece by Jim Kobe. Its so good that this great art lives on.

Link

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why do you say this about Sisk and Jarrett? I'm asking cause I don't know what it is you are referring to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RD,
These things have a way of getting out of hand on the net. I don't want to go there. It would serve no purpose.
Butch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably shouldn't have then, but thank you anyway. FWIW, I have heard many stories, thanks to the net, about Jarrett sheep rifles and his lack of understanding about them and how they should function. But there again......

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
James Anderson and David Christman.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
To follow up on what Phil posted, D'Arcy Echols spend an average of 80 hours on each Model 70 Classic action alone, making sure everything works perfectly. For instence, his ideal (though not always reached) is to have the action feed empty cases for the round its chambered in. He also essentially rebuilds the trigger, squaring and honing all applicable surfaces and replacing the factory pins with ones that fit.

In addition he replaces the bottom metal with a magazine that's the perfect width for the round in question, and fits a custom scope mount that is machined the support the entire length of the scope tube.

That's just a few of the things that go into a "plastic" Echols Legend, and are part of the reason they cost so much. They are not just any aftermarket barrel screwed into a Rem. 700 action and dropped into any synthetic stock.

I love fine walnut as much as the next guy, and have several rifles that are custom-stocked with really good wood. But a custom walnut stock does not turn a pre-64 Model 70 into a custom rifle, anymore than dropping a 700 into a McMillan makes it a custom rifle. But it IS a Model 70 with a custom stock.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Today he may be most widely known for his Legend rifles, but D'Arcy's Classic rifles are second to none. And that includes the list of the great walnut stocked riflemakers someone posted above.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to do some research, I have a fairly extensive list of links to gun makers, both regular and custom, on my blog site, RHS of page...

http://fishingnhunting.blogspot.com/

Some of them will have you drooling like a baby.

smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ralphie,

Yep. There was even a time when I considered ordering an Echols Classic. Then I decided to spend the money on a couple of hunst instead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love fancy walnut as much as the next guy but basically a stock is simply a handle with which to hold a rifle. All that fancy wood, shadow lines and moldings are simply BLING that adds nothing to how well the rifle functions. That is the function of the metal work - and who well the stock fits the user.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have been away from the site. I appreciate all the responses. I would love to have a nice wood stocked gun but am likely going to only do a synthetic mid caliber gun. 7mm or .30 . Likely will do another 280ai 300 wm is a possibility. Still am wondering if a Borden or similar is better than a much less expensive Cooper. Thanks for the responses. Once again this will likely be my only centerfire rifle for some time. Also plan on upgrading to a nice scope.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
458Win where in SW AK are you? I spent a couple of summers in King Salmon. Your name is familiar for some reason. Thanks Craig

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
click on our web site below for more info.
Our homestead is 62 miles S of King Salmon

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Phil,

You have a rifle or two done by Lon Paul that have some nice stocks on them. I sure like them..

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shane Thompson
Steven Dodd Hughes
James Anderson
Duane Wiebe
Ralph Martini

in no particular order are my favorites. All build rifles that are functional and accurate plus they add the "Bling" a custom rifle should have.

Terry

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Phil,
Becharof area is beautiful place. I used to fish down there a bunch. Mostly Featherly, and some other small streams. Ugashik narrows is one of my favorite places on earth. I saw that you listed rainbows down there on your website. Do you find them in the Becharof drainage area. I never saw one down there. Just dollies, grayling, lake trout and perhaps char. It looks like your place is on the opposite side of the lake from Pulik? I never knew there were any permanent cabins down there.
Craig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not sure where you are� but I had Kerry O�Day at MGA Arms build my .338WM.

Frankly my rifle is just what I wanted� and better since he gave me the guidance (not Pressure) to consider some aspects I would have missed.

I have known him since the early 90�s and he is a fine person and great to work with and VERY HONEST!

He has also tuned all my son�s rifles and has done consistently excellent work and delivered when he said he would.

He is located in Houston Texas and his website is included below.

http://www.mgarmsinc.com/MGArms/Welcome.html

BTW I DONOT work for him!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great thread.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tim McWhorter. Most accurate rifles I have ever seen.

www.mcwhorterrifles.com

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 78 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.