Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3790579 02/12/10
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here in Colorado you can't use scopes of any sort, but reaching out across a meadow, you can easily be presented with a 150-200 yard shot. The muzzleloaders that I've owned and/or shot have all had irons that completely covered the vital area at much over 100 yards. Only recently have I experimented with placing the top of the front sight just below where I want to hit, but it feels unnatural to me.
Any suggestions on aftermarket irons? I just sold my Cabela's .54 Hawken and am in the market again, but I'm assuming I won't find factory sights that suit me.
Any downside to the globe front sights with a rear peep?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Lyman 54 Cal percussion has a tang peep sight. It's been a long time since I purchased that and so, can't remember where I got it, or if the company is still in business. It's worked pretty well for me out to about 120 yds with the home-cast bullets. Past that, and it's a bit of an adventure.

I've not seen any disadvantages, personally, but I always liked peep sights. The front sight is just a blade though.

Steve

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Also from Colorado.

Heres my set up. CVA Accura with aftermarket Truglo front globe and a rear Ghost Ring sight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Original sights worked perfect as well,
[Linked Image]

And yesterday i topped it off with Sling Stix. Sighted in today, took a few shots off them, worth every penny!
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Boncarbo. I had to check the maps for that one. Cool area.

Coke Ovens is the closest I've been, but always liked the area.

Steve

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It does feel unnatural at first, and second and third, but I had also heard the "6 O'CLOCK" hold was more accurate. I stuck with it and it paid off. It took me from 5 inch groups at 100 yards to 3 inch groups. Off shooting stix in a sitting position, I feel good out to 150 yards in a pinch. I can't see me ever taking a 200 yard shot with open shots.

that is with the front globe Frontier has and a rear Williams peep. It just makes sense that if you cover up the bulls eye, you don't know exactly where you are holding, but if you set the bull on top of the front post, you can be more consistant in your hold.

Venor ergo sum
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Also from Colorado.

Heres my set up. CVA Accura with aftermarket Truglo front globe and a rear Ghost Ring sight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Original sights worked perfect as well,
[Linked Image]

And yesterday i topped it off with Sling Stix. Sighted in today, took a few shots off them, worth every penny!
[Linked Image]
That true glow system looks interesting,can the ghost ring be mounted at the rear near the breech plug where the scope mounts are drilled and tapped?also what;s the cost for the whole set up..thanks

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
around 50-$60 The slingstix are $70

i dont think you are able to use the scope mount holes. This isnt a peep sight so its not needed to have to back close to the eye.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I never understood the popularity of a ghost ring sight. First of all they are pretty expensive, and they do not give you any shooting options. Why not buy a good quality adjustable peep sight(for about the same price or less)?? You can get different apertures for a quality peep sight, and if you want to you can just unscrew the aperture and take it out of the sight, and then you have a ghost ring sight, at no additional charge. And when you want to shoot paper and fine tune your rifle you put in a target peep and shoot away. So why wouldn't you want choices?? I just can't understand it?? Buy a good quality receiver peep sight like a Williams or a Lyman, and shoot. Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 02/14/10.

West By God Virginia
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9643/Product/PEEP_SIGHT I agree with you hogg i was just inquiring about the tru glo.i am seriously considering buying the one listed above,that way i can remove either the peep and scope with QD rings and not have to resight for either.and it's solid steel and american made..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by builder
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9643/Product/PEEP_SIGHT I agree with you hogg i was just inquiring about the tru glo.i am seriously considering buying the one listed above,that way i can remove either the peep and scope with QD rings and not have to resight for either.and it's solid steel and american made..

I have two of the NECG's. They are very high on the quality chart. They are better built than either Lyman or Williams(IMO). You will not be sorry. The only problem I had with them is that they are limited in adjustment range. I had to change the front sight on the rifles I put them on(Ruger #1, and another Ruger rifle). For target and long distance I would go with the Williams, but for hunting and ruggedness I would go with the NECG. Tom.

West By God Virginia
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, you CAN mount the truglo ghost ring in the rear holes (at least in my Omega), but it don't work well there. I tried it, and it is too big to give a good sight picture in the rear scope holes.

However, I use the Williams peep in the rear scope mount holes and I bought a "twilight" peep appeture direct from Williams ($9) which is bigger in diameter. That has always been big enough to see through even in low light, but as stated, you can always simply screw out the peep and use the "ghost ring" when the peep appeture is removed.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02/14/10.

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The further away the rear sight is from your eye,the less accuate it will be.Peep sights are best if monuted on the tang as Hogghead shows. TC sells one that mounts on most TC ML.

The 6 O'clock hold is the most accurate, Shooting at a target bull,there should be a slight sliver of white between the top of the front sight and the black bull.This lets you keep that distance consistently If you don't, you slide into the " Fat Tire " sight picture in which you are cutting off the bototm of the black bull with your front sight,and you cannot keep that consistent from shot to shot.
I find a square fornt sight works better for me than a bead. Typcialy I find thefiber optic sights too large.

I don't do the 150-200yd shots with a ML. To me, primitive waeapon means getting closer. I can shot 200-600yds in NRA type matches with M1 Garand sights at a target with fairly good results. Picking a spot on animal an setting the front sight ther comes a bit harder.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
the negc peep i mentioned comes with two appetures standard.i have also read that in a lot of cases the williams require a lower front sight also. i guess it just depends on what method one uses with these sights.i don't know what the method i use is refered to as,but i do not cover my target with the front pumpkin. i use the top of the front sight as the impact point,this enables me to see where bullet will impact in hunting situations at longer ranges.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The TC sight I had on my TC hawkin,I unsrewed the aperature and used the threaded hole as a hunting sight

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.