Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Have any of you ordered a rifle from them yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Landrum

BP-B2

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I guess that about sums it up. Over 24 hours on the board and no responses. Not surprising, I guess. A semi-custom rifle based on a Savage action isn't exactly the stuff of legends. However, I thought that maybe someone knew someone who had taken the plunge.

Landrum

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Our own Mule Deer seems to think pretty highly of his 6.5/06, and Stan Trzoniec likes his .22-250. I may have to do one, once I get caught up on my projects.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most of the people on the campfire have a well padded bank account and only buy the best. Or, at least they talk like they do.

Dick
C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Gun Nut Blog on F&S has covered this rifle quite a bit and IIRC the turn around time is around 6 months. I have been thinking about ordering one in 450 Marlin, but have to wait until November to actually order it. Mr. Petzal seems really pleased with his in 30-06.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While I have no experience with them, I really like the concept. That a rifle could be ordered for a reasonable price in such a variety of chamberings tweaks the "what if" nerve in the back of my head. Actually, I would rather that the Savage action come complete with the barrel nut. That formerly ugly nut is one of the reasons a guy could trust Savage rifles to be so darn accurate.

CCD, I am glad your considering a 450 Marlin bolt gun. The Marlin round really seems to be a natural for a 21" barreled bolt gun with a low power scope and back-up peeps. I always thought it would be a dandy compliment to my 350 RemMag. After that, a trim 6.5 RemMag with 26" barrel to round out the group.

Last edited by BullGoose; 08/24/09.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't have one of their rifles but I do have two rifles that they re-barreled for me and both shoot sub moa at least for three shots for one and my 35 Whelen will do it for five shot groups. Fouling is not an issue and the workmanship is good. I had Shaw refinish both barreled actions and their matt blue is very nice. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
they send out good ones and bad ones, its a crapshoot and in barrels you get what you pay for..I use expensive Lothar barrels and they have all been beyond excellent..If I am going to the expense of rebarreling, the barrel is the last place I try to save money...I have had about 6 or 7 Shaw barrels, 2 of them suited me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I contacted them for a quote a couple months ago. I wanted a 6.5 Swede. I asked for a basic rifle, blued, walnut stock, in 6.5 - cost was in the $700 range which is fantastic for a semi-custom rifle but turnaround was close to 11 months. That doesn't help my deep gun addiction and the need to own things now.

I may still order one - because that is my favorite caliber and you can't get much off the shelf.

F&S (Petzel) just listed it as their best value/favorite rifle for 2009 - he loves his Shaw.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why would you want a Shaw barrel on your Savage when the Savage barrel is one of the most consistently accurate on the market?

I just finished shooting a three-shot group into .4375" at 100 yds from my Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag! That's three shots over 3 weeks... one shot per week into the same target, with all the variables that go into dealing with moods, temp and wind over that long period.

The load was 75.5grs RL22, Rem brass, WLRM primers and 180 NP's. MV = 3010 fps.

My Savage is a bottom-end 111 with matt finish and a black syn stock. It doesn't even have the AccuTrigger or AccuStock, though it is pillar bedded and I adjusted the trigger to about 3 lbs.

The scope is no jewel either - a silver 3 - 9X40mm Bushnell Elite (I've had a few of 'em and they work just fine!)

That load will kill anything in North America, and most other big game in the world as well. It is a joy to tote and I don't worry about dings, scrapes or dents. grin

I guess some people just like to spend money on a name though the product may be inferior to the one it replaced. wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I payed $375 CDN for it one year ago and put a scope on it replacing the crappy Simmons, which I already had in my possession.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by CZ550
Why would you want a Shaw barrel on your Savage when the Savage barrel is one of the most consistently accurate on the market?

Because Savage doesn't offer rifles in some calibers?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by CZ550

I just finished shooting a three-shot group into .4375" at 100 yds from my Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag! That's three shots over 3 weeks... one shot per week into the same target, with all the variables that go into dealing with moods, temp and wind over that long period.

The load was 75.5grs RL22, Rem brass, WLRM primers and 180 NP's. MV = 3010 fps.

My Savage is a bottom-end 111 with matt finish and a black syn stock. It doesn't even have the AccuTrigger or AccuStock, though it is pillar bedded and I adjusted the trigger to about 3 lbs.

The scope is no jewel either - a silver 3 - 9X40mm Bushnell Elite (I've had a few of 'em and they work just fine!)

That load will kill anything in North America, and most other big game in the world as well. It is a joy to tote and I don't worry about dings, scrapes or dents. grin

I guess some people just like to spend money on a name though the product may be inferior to the one it replaced. wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I payed $375 CDN for it one year ago and put a scope on it replacing the crappy Simmons, which I already had in my possession.

When I can get a $400 Savage 110 Classic in 6.5x55 Swede tuned, polished, bedded, etc. I'll buy one. Until then - its the least expensive new 6.5 Swede you can get and considering Savage's reputation for accuracy and the great Accutrigger it seems like a good platform to start with.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I asked the question because two standard cartridges - 22-250 and 30-06 - were mentioned in this thread! I understand if you're discussing cartridges not chambered by Savage, but that didn't seem to be exclusively so! And I still fail to comprehend the rationale of switching barrels in a common cartridge unless it's for the prestige of the E.R. Shaw name.

The action on my Savage is as slick as any bolt action I've owned, and a lot slicker than most. Much more so than my CZ, a couple of Winchesters, Brownings, Sakos, Mausers, etc. But to each his/her own... I'm not judging... just asking. Thanks anyway for your opinions and replies. smile

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
that's what i call allowing adequate barrel cooling time

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Anybody place an order for one of these??

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

While Savage factory rifles do shoot, I would say this is despite their barrels, rather than because of them. I have seen several Savage barrels that were incredibly rough and really fouled. This certainly isn't the instance with all of them, but it happens more than occasionally. In fact, I shot a brand new Savage .243 last year that had reamer marks all the way down the bore. I had to applu Ultra Bore Coat before it would group more than 10 shots before getting so fouled that it the groups opened up to 1-1/2 to 2".

I have also owned a heavy-barreled Savage .22-250 that shifted point of impact over an inch at 100 yards after the barrel heated up. This is not good when shooting prairie dogs.

All the E.R. Shaw barrels I have seen since they retooled a few years ago have been pretty darn smooth, with little tendency to foul. By the way, when I'm talking about the roughness of bores, I;m not just talked from the experience of cleaning, but looking througha bore-scope.

The Savage actions on the Shaw rifles have all been blueprinted at the E.R. Shaw factory.

Savages are good rifles, but the E.R. Shaw rifle is a step up, especially if you want a rifle for a cartridge Savage doesn't chamber.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another reason to get the Shaw is that they don't have that ugly barrel nut.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What benchrest match has a Shaw barrel won lately?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
English Pointers win the National Pointing Dog Championship almost exclusively. Doesn't mean you can't get an excellent, Setter, Britteny, Springer, etc to hunt with.

Last edited by battue; 02/17/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
What benchrest match has a Shaw barrel won lately?

He is not looking for a benchrest rifle. Apples and Oranges my friend.

RH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 69 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.