Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, here is the deal. I have about a 6 foot long black snake apparently living in the attic. I have found his shed skin etc. Since it is winter I imagine he is hibernating since it is pretty chilly up there. He has lots of places to hide amongst all the crap up there. When it warms up, what is going to be the best way to find him and relocate him somewhere else?

BTW, no mice or evidence of mice that I can see I think he is eating spiders. The attic is on top of 2 floors of a house. I think he crawled up the outside of the chimmney.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd leave him be

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MOVE!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the first thing most people will say is that he crawled back out again...I personally think that is wishful thinking. I would be concerned with getting the place plugged where he got in. How do you know it's a Blacksnake?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If it were me I'd burn down the house.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if there are no mice than either he came in to find a quiet place to shed or he is there to hibernate......if there is no food for him he'll leave on his own.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Saw his shed skins, we got blacksnakes all over the place up here they show up in the garage, gas grill etc. I doubt he has crawled back out and notreal sure how he got in yet.

Mike, I have considered leaving him alone but I do not want baby black snakes in my attic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's not eating spiders.

If he's in hibernation (or at least brumation) he's not eating anything. And won't.

He'll leave come warmer weather of spring. Just forget about him. Best mouser you could ever ask for and he's totally harmless. He'll live outside most of the year and probably find a different place to hole up next winter. If not, still no harm done.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We crossed posts.

Won't be any babies, either.

They're egg layers. Eggs are lain in summer/fall and hatch before winter sets in. It won't be ready for breeding until spring. Food, water and breeding will be the reasons it leaves in the spring. Not necessarily in that order smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yah---forget about him until you feel him crawling into your bed in the middle of the night.

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"Blacksnakes all over the place" tells me you have either lots of mice or lots of something else for them to eat. Do you leave dog food out for mice to eat? Are there bats in your attic? Don't make the mistake of shooting the attic snake with ratshot. It will bounce off the rafters/floor joists and put out an eye--yours, not the snake's.

Last edited by Junior1942; 02/18/10.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tangozulu
If it were me I'd burn down the house.

That was my first thought also!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Live trap him, put him in one of those UPS Express Mail boxes and send him next day mail to Les.

He will really appreciate the thought that you think enough to send him a Birthday gift.

grin grin grin

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd bomb them out... I'd get a dozen roach/insect canister bombs and I'd start on one side of the attic and go to the other setting them off in series, get out - close up the attic and let it sit for several hours.

Then, I'd put out glue traps (12 of them) http://www.amazon.com/Baited-Mouse-Insect-Snake-Boards/dp/B001O7AYO0

I'd leave them over night and go back up and check.

I'd replace the ones that have caught stuff.

Once I thought I had the majority of critters caught I'd look to find what they were eating on and I'd remove it completely.

I'd got back and put mouse bait in the attic to kill the remaining snake food sources...

I couldn't live in that house until the SNAKES were gone.

Knowing me, I'd put 30 canister insect bombs up there. I'd fog them into wanting fresh air and leaving the attic.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, I'd MOVE!!!!!!!!! Far away from Asheville.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I'd bomb them out... I'd get a dozen roach/insect canister bombs and I'd start on one side of the attic and go to the other setting them off in series, get out - close up the attic and let it sit for several hours.

Then, I'd put out glue traps (12 of them) http://www.amazon.com/Baited-Mouse-Insect-Snake-Boards/dp/B001O7AYO0

I'd leave them over night and go back up and check.

I'd replace the ones that have caught stuff.

Once I thought I had the majority of critters caught I'd look to find what they were eating on and I'd remove it completely.

I'd got back and put mouse bait in the attic to kill the remaining snake food sources...

I couldn't live in that house until the SNAKES were gone.

Knowing me, I'd put 30 canister insect bombs up there. I'd fog them into wanting fresh air and leaving the attic.

It's just a black snake.......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, burning down the house is not an option. Ratshot in the attic, figured that was not a good idea either.

I am beginning to think I may have become the local denning area. Dog food is outside in the dog lot with 3 Brittanys. Have an outside cat as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Junior1942
" Don't make the mistake of shooting the attic snake with ratshot. It will bounce off the rafters/floor joists and put out an eye--yours, not the snake's.

I'd use a freakin' bazooka!!

Last edited by RS308MX; 02/18/10.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like some of the other folks said, if there's no food then eventually the snake will leave.

If you do want to go to war with him there are anti-snake products available. Caveat: I've never tried any of these myself, but here are some suggestions:

Snake Repellents

Snake Trap

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I'd leave him be

Mike

Yep, they are great snakes. Generally easy to handle too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.