Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My Ruger MK II All Weather in 280 Remington prints 1/2" with Rem CoreLokt 150's most of the time. I have taken over 35 critters in the last 4 years with it at ranges from 100-400 yards.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Ruger SS .30-06' is a 2 MOA gun with a handload. 2.5-3.0 MOA with factory ammo. The worst shooting centerfire rifle I've ever owned. I know some Rugers shoot well but this one does not.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 2Seventy
My Ruger SS .30-06' is a 2 MOA gun with a handload. 2.5-3.0 MOA with factory ammo. The worst shooting centerfire rifle I've ever owned. I know some Rugers shoot well but this one does not.

How old is your rifle?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Have you tried tweeking it any? Float the barrel, tune the trigger, bed it, or check you action screws so you aren't binding the action.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cole_k

How old is your rifle?

I purchased the gun new in 2000.

Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RugerM77270

Have you tried tweeking it any? Float the barrel, tune the trigger, bed it, or check you action screws so you aren't binding the action.

Yes. The first thing was a trigger job.
Then I free floated the barrel
Action screw torque
Never did bed it
Finally sent in to Ruger with targets shot:
They told me they cleaned up the crown and got 1/2" accuracy with it but didn't state the yardage they were shooting. When I took it back to the range I could see no accuracy improvment.

I can shoot MOA/sub MOA on the same bench and day with couple of other rifles I've got.
When you buy enough rifles over the years you can get a lemon. I've resigned myself to the fact that this is mine and that I'm not going to put anymore effort into it when I've got other rifles that shoot better.

Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger Hawkeye 7mm mag. Best I have got so far is 1.5 groups. I have hesitated floating the barrel. Barrel channel is very close is areas below tip. I question however the action screw torque. Ruger states 95" pounds. This seems excessive to me and hard to measure using the supplied blade screw and a Craftsman torque wrench. How are others accomplishing this?

Rob

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the Ruger M77 platform very much and have owned several, but I've had a couple that shot very poorly. I tried everything I could think of but nothing would help, until I had them rebarreled.

There was a time when bad barrels from an outside vendor were not uncommon on M77's. Ruger now makes their own barrels and they are supposed to be much better these days.

If you are looking at an older rifle, it will probably be fine but there is some chance you could get one of those bad ones like I had. A new M77 should be fine.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Torque wrench? I just use German specs - "gudentight".

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 270 Win purchased in 1999. It has been the worst shooting gun I've ever owned. It tought me how to handload and accurize a rifle. It's still tempermental about loads but I can get it under 1" consistently. It's been bedded, floated and had a trigger job down to 3lbs. It will still shoot most factory ammo around 2" to 3". IMO Rugers are rugged and reliable but their sporter weight guns are just good enough for hunting. I'd put money on almost any other factory rifle to shoot smaller groups from the box. My opinion is based on other budddies guns and spotting for shooters at my local club.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horseman-

Rugers are �just good enough for hunting�? You did see the targets and read the comments above from people with a very different experience, right?

Five Rugers in the safe and they all shoot great. Better, in fact, than the last couple Remington�s, both new at the time, that I�ve shot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a tang safety Ruger .270. I've never taken it to a range, and have no idea how it might group. But it's killed every deer I ever pointed it at, and that's good enough for me. "Minute of deer" is all I need. It always works, and I trust it. What more could I ask?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Horseman-

Rugers are �just good enough for hunting�? You did see the targets and read the comments above from people with a very different experience, right?

Five Rugers in the safe and they all shoot great. Better, in fact, than the last couple Remington�s, both new at the time, that I�ve shot.

That last sentence didn't come out right. I should have written it to read:

"...the last couple brand new Remington�s that I�ve shot."

That would include my M700 .30-06 made in 2005. My 1975 M700 .308 Win shoots like a dream.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Horseman-

That last sentence didn't come out right. I should have written it to read:

"...the last couple brand new Remington�s that I�ve shot."

That would include my M700 .30-06 made in 2005. My 1975 M700 .308 Win shoots like a dream.

Coyote Hunter
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I actually like Rugers and they are usually accurate enough for their intended purpose. Volunteering as a spotter for my local clubs' open to the public "sight-in days" I'll sight in up to 40 guns per day. I've been doing that for years. I've seen a pretty fair unbiased represention of different brands accuracy. I stick by my commments about Rugers accuracy or lack thereof but don't deny there are many that are exceptional shooters. I also don't doubt it'd be easy to buy a Remington that shoots worse than a Ruger. My take is it'd be slightly easier to buy a poor shooting Ruger than many other brands. Just my opinion and as I said before I know there are some Ruger tackdrivers I've seen and shot some myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems that ruger's weird angle action screw messes up their accuracy, doesn't it?

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a tang safety 270 with a floated barrel that shoots like a dream with handloads. Other than the floated barrel it is stock, wood/blue. One I have had for 45 years.

I also have several other newer M77's, 2 ss mark II's. A 260, and a 270WSM. They both shoot exceptionally well. I did install Timney triggers.

I have a couple of #1's. A 25-06,wood blue 35 years, it shoots great. A new SS in 270 and I was surprised at how well it shot.

My experience with rugers is the accuracy is very good. They ain't bench rest rifles but they more than hold their own against other hunting rifles.

All of them shoot less than 1" at 100, some quite a bit better.

Ain't nothing wrong with rugers, well they are a tad on the heavy side.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I suspect that most Rugers are more accurate under field conditions than most of the people running them..... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I suspect that most Rugers are more accurate under field conditions than most of the people running them..... smile

I'll definately agree with that!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had a lot of them, as well as sold a bunch. the older ones were a little spotty, while the later Mk II is as good as any. I have a 7x57 that is still my go to rifle and it has been around the world, killed a ton of game, and I just know when the trigger is pulled something is going to hit the ground. I have floated the barrel and that helped it. It shoots .7 at 100 every day all day till you're sick of it. I have a .416 rigby as well that shoots better than that with 370 NF and H4831, I have twice shot three shots in under .3 with 105 gr of H4831Sc and a 370 North Fork. that makes a nice varmint rifle. Most of the ones that shoot crappy need the trigger fixed which is so easy on a
Ruger most anyone can do it. Fix the trigger and hunt with them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Huntaria_Setters accurized my 260 rem Ruger 77mkII for me recently. It is the ugly ss with the boat paddle, but I like it. It shot MOA skunk last night. I will try to post the picture but it's best is a dime size group at 200 yds.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
307 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.